1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Arizona Coyotes Moving To Houston?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by boomboom, Dec 2, 2021.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Spoiler: The good guys win at the end lol

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think that’s the big thing. You cant just pick a team and go with them when you don’t have one. I’ve been in Denver for over 10 years now, and still have a hard time rooting for anything non-Houston. Took me til about 3 years ago to finally adopt the Avs as my team. Love em, but if Houston gets a team, Illl have to jump on.

And I agree with your friend, hockey is probably the only sport where the in-person experience is soooooo drastically better than the alternative. Basketball is my favorite sport, so that will always win for me, but hockey is just different. I am always down to go to a hockey game. It’s like a smaller scale, more intimate, EPL game. Singing All The Small Things, arm in arm, with 20k people, while your team dominates the ice is unrivaled.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Mark, Marty, Gordie Howe, Terry Ruskowski, Paul Popiel, loved loved loved the Aeros.

DD

Jturbofuel and Plowman like this.
  4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There’s no Les Alexander to stop this from happening

plus do we have to upgrade Toyota center to Lexus center ?
    @J.R.
    @RasaqBoi

boomboom, RKREBORN and RasaqBoi like this.
  5. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

thank god for no les. I give it a few years before it’s called Bubba Gump Arena.

tinman likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Wait...so he's been dead the whole time?

MadMax likes this.
  7. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Ugh..Dallas is in Oklahoma dummy.

ryan_98, boomboom, Salvy and 2 others like this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

"only one football team in Texas"...so I guess you're a Cowboy fan?

RasaqBoi likes this.
  9. tinman

Supporting Member

Salt grass steakhouse arena

RasaqBoi likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Worst Steakhouse chain in Texas.

Good job, kid.

Xerobull likes this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

An NHL game is a pretty good experience but you have to have a hockey culture for that kind of experience. That the Coyotes are thinking about moving is because there isn’t that kind of culture in Phoenix.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

They’re no Vegas

13. Buck Turgidson

Yeah...no.

Tell me about the "hockey culture" in Las Vegas, SoCal, Dallas, Nashville, Florida, Carolina, etc....

14. VanityHalfBlack

I can only withstand hockey. What’s a football?

15. VanityHalfBlack

nah fool. Edmonton

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes the NHL massively expanded to many cities outside of the North. Doesnt mean they have hockey cultures even with good teams. A winning product does help and Tampa Bay has been able to keep a winning team. If they done do well I doubt they would draw.

For example the Wild still sell out even when the team isn’t good because this is a hockey culture with a lot of people growing up with hockey from little league to college.

Without a good team there is little reason to watch hockey in AZ just becaue of traditions

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The sunbelt markets have had NHL teams for at least 30 years now. I’ve been hearing that entire time how it won’t work and it’s not real hockey culture etc. But aside from Atlanta they all still have their teams. It’s so awful that they’ve all had teams for decades now. I want Houston to be that awful.

18. Buck Turgidson

There's also no northern transplants among the 8 million people in the Houston metro area.

Apropos of nothing, wiki just learned me that the Crookston Pirates, which is an epically great team name, were a minor league baseball team in Minnesota 100 years ago.

#198 Buck Turgidson, May 21, 2023
    Last edited: May 21, 2023
  19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I’m a progressive in many respects but am a traditionalist in others. Yes the sunbelt has NHL but the appreciation of Hockey isn’t the same. They’ve had some good players and teams with the Lightening doing very well. Good for Tampa but and people like winners. It’s not where hockey is in the fabric of life.

When you see kids playing hockey outside on a frozen pond you’ll understand.

For people outside of the North the closest I can think of is if the English Premier league were to decide to expand to the US. A team might do very well but it wouldn’t be the same.

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I grew up in Houston and still love the place but lyrics like this make no sense for Houston.

on a more substantial point Houstonis already a fickle sports city with the Stros and Rockets often failing to draw when they are not doing well. If the Houston Coyotes aren’t doing well do your think they’re going to drawing well?