1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free Agent Target: Grant Williams (RFA)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Apr 17, 2023.

1. ilias

ilias Member

Cameron Johnson is the better basketball player of the two, but Williams is likely to be the best bet for us. Johnson will get Brunson money, I wouldn’t be shocked if he gets $30m/year offers.
    • GW can be had at $15-20m/year, and might accept a shorter deal (3 years guaranteed, TO for 4th year).
    • He is the better defender, which is our main need for improvement.
    • He is also 2.5 years younger than Johnson.
    • He brings more grit, more toughness, more definition to a team identity.
    • His next contract will probably have less downside than Cam’s, given projected duration and salary.
    • He gives us more team-building flexibility; signing him would still leave us with max cap room both this summer and next. That won’t be the case if we spend $110-120m on CJ. With CJ we will be limited on which other FA we can make a move for.

saleem, NewAge, jch1911 and 2 others like this.
  2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

He hasn’t played much in the playoffs but folks saw it tonight; he’s a dawg. Shooting? Check. Defense? Check.

i don’t want to overpay, but this is a restricted free agent we can sign away from Boston on a reasonable deal. He’s young and he’s competitive and he’ll fit in well with Jabari and Tari. It’s a good use of money.

He played his best ball last year under Ime. I know he likes him a lot. He fills a real need. This is gonna happen.

#22 Aruba77, May 19, 2023
    Last edited: May 19, 2023
    wlekfjv923n, jch1911, saleem and 3 others like this.
  3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Agreed but Jimmy owned him tonight but he does that to everybody.

Would sign him still

4. Aruba77

the way I look at it, Boston wanting Grant Williams on Jimmy says a lot. But Jimmy gonna be Jimmy ;)

Harden wishes he was Jimmy btw

I still see Grant Williams as a high-level rotational player; not necessarily a 82-game starter. But if we are using a lot of our cap space on Harden, we’re going to have to add other vets at the $15 mil range to be competitive, and that’s in addition to hopefully pulling off a trade that consolidates a bunch of our assets into another solid piece.

Rudyc281 and jch1911 like this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

6. jch1911

jch1911 Member

You forgot the best part... he was born in Htown ;)

7. xaos

xaos Member

Would love to add him and Bev (and Scoot, best case scenario) just to get some attitude and toughness with our young core. Jalen could use several people with their mindset along with Ime (and Jabari), who has the perfect basketball mentality.

#27 xaos, May 20, 2023
    Last edited: May 20, 2023
    Mathloom likes this.
  8. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

He played well but Jimmy might be in his head. Interesting to see how he handles the next games. He could become a Mazulla casualty though if there’s no adjustment.

9. NewAge

NewAge Member

It’s Udoka’s call really, he should know him better than anyone posting here. So let’s sit back on this one, I say.

10. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I actually like that he went at Jimmy Butler. Media is giving him flack for "waking up" Butler and poking the bear but I didn't see any other Celtics players showing heart or pride. It looks like Celtics fans are angrier at Mazzulla, Brown, and Tatum than Grant.

Little Bit, saleem, Aruba77 and 2 others like this.
  11. OremLK

OremLK Member

Grant Williams could work.

I also like Bruce Brown as a guy who should cost less than Cam Johnson or Austin Reaves.

In any case, a really good defensive wing who can hit some 3s is definitely what the doctor ordered in free agency.

saleem, Aruba77, xaos and 1 other person like this.
  12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Tari

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

I see him more as a combo forward who can guard the 3 and the 4, it would be great to have a guy (like Brown) who can really shore up our defense in the backcourt as well

maj21 and Aruba77 like this.
  14. xaos

xaos Member

We need guys like that added to our talented young squad, not Harden.

jaykay likes this.
  15. Aruba77

Looking at Boston’s cap space and guaranteed salaries, they can’t afford to match a reasonable offer sheet for Grant Williams. Stealing restricted free agents gives me a warm feeling. Whereas Reaves and Cam are going to be very hard to get, Grant Williams is probably the most likely RFA on the move this summer.