1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GM Stone do not draft Brandon Miller!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CHAMPBOY, May 18, 2023.

?

We need a elite point guard, should we move up in the draft?

1. Yes, move up and get Scoot or Amen

16 vote(s)
    45.7%
  2. No, let the draft come to you and draft best player available

19 vote(s)
    54.3%
  1. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

This draft is TALENTED TOP HEAVY. Wemby, Scoot and the Thompson Twins has elite skills, such as elite 1st steps, high verticals, great vision, great defenders and great passing. Brandon Miller has no elite skills. He is above average shooter, average handles, and average athlete for his size…he is nothing special. Honestly, I think he has great leadership skills but that is it. He reminds me of Jabari Smith with average handles. I know he was SEC PLAYER OF THE YEAR and FRESHMAN OF THE YEAR IN THE SEC…..this is a mirage. He is not worth a top 5 pick. If we cannot draft Scoot or Amen I would draft Anthony Black. I think Jabari is a nice player but he is not a ALL STAR PLAYER…he is a elite defender and could be on the ALL NBA DEFENSE TEAM one day. Miler is not a elite defender or a future ALL STAR. I believe Sengun and Green has ALL STAR talent, and I believe Scoot and Amen will be future ALL STARS one day as well. We must be aggressive and move up to draft either Scoot or AMEN in this draft. I believe Scoot can start for our team Day 1 and Amen is a year away so he should not start until he work out his shot.

2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Pffft acting like hes dropping to 4th

red5rocket, 34to11, Aware and 3 others like this.
  3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

4. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Miller will get drafted if he falls to 4, same as Jabari last year when he fell

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Jabari was way way way way ...........................more hyped than Miller is.

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Don't really know the appeal of Miller. I only watched the tournament games and he was having trouble generating any type of offense. Kinda does remind me of Jabari, the shooting was the selling point but can't do anything else

groovemachine likes this.
  7. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

it’s the Paul George comp, he has the size and potential to be a big time scorer out of the 3 spot. I prefer Walker myself due to his defense and passing but I’d be shocked if Miller falls out of the top 3 anyway

8. maj21

maj21 Member

If you’re comparing Miller’s handles to Jabari’s, I’m assuming that you’ve haven’t watched him play much

red5rocket and 34to11 like this.
  9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

People sometimes forget that putting the ball in the basket is the most important thing in the whole NBA.

10. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I just heard Brandon Miller’s interviews with GM this week have been terrible. Stone cannot be passive and just draft the best player available. Just like last year, the media said Jabari was the best player in the draft, once these lazy GM finally start watching Pablo tape you could clearly see he dominated many players in college. When Duke played Gonzaga early in the year, Pablo DOMINATED Chet in that game. Smart GMs knew Jabari is just a elite defender who needs to gain weight but on the offense side he is just a 3 point shooter. GMs knew Jabari cannot dribble, underweight to handle himself under the basket to get rebounds. Stupid Media was telling us one thing while scouts and GMs seen Pablo is the real deal. Stupid media is telling us that Brandon Miller is the second best player in the draft…..crazyyyyy. If you watch Brandon Miller against San Diego State in the tournament he was overwhelmed with height, speed and physicality. This is basically what the NBA is all about Length, Speed and Physicality.

We need to trade up with the Clippers pick and young players. Charlotte is not going to be active in free agency per Charlotte’s GM Mitch Kupchak and they are looking for talent in the draft. They have the 2nd pick and the 27th pick….I would give them the 20th pick, and two young players…Charlotte have no talent except LaMelo Ball. Scoot and LaMelo Ball is not going to work because both of them want the ball in their hands…..watch Scoot on YouTube he seems lost without the ball in his hands….he need to get Scoot or Amen but not Brandon Miller.

11. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Miller”s handles are better than Jabari…Miller has average handles and does not love driving to the basket. Miller is a top 10 player but not a top 5 pick.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't think there's any real chance we draft him since we're picking at #4. Charlotte, Portland, or somebody Portland trades their pick to will select him first. I also doubt we would trade up to get him--even if they do like him as the third best in the draft, which is by no means guaranteed, he's just not the transformational kind of player that you can envision proving to be worth a serious overpay in terms of assets. He's more of a high-floor, lower-ceiling kind of player.

So yeah I wouldn't worry about it too much.

13. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Miller is a cut rate Jabari, except older and crappier.

We don't need two Jabaris on this team. Sure, he can be better in his first year, but that's not who we need.

14. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds personal! I like Miller and think he would be excellent when paired w/Sengun.

However, Scoot and Amen do not fit w/Sengun. It's going to be interesting

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Maybe Wemby slides to 4

juanm34, Boii and burlesk like this.
  16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Deserves Its Middling with Idiocy Thread?

don grahamleone likes this.
  17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Except Lamelo is AMAZING with or without the ball in his hands (41% on catch and shoot). It's an incredible pairing.

However, Kupchak is an idiot so anything is possible.

OremLK likes this.
  18. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Can I ask why? I would love to have two Jabaris if I'm trying to win a championship. Is there a playmaker or coach on the planet who doesn't want two guys who play defense and shoot lights out without wasting time on the clock? Like a 6'8 and a 6'11 Klay Thompson who doesn't want that around their iso scorer? Those players cost $20m/season at a minimum and are worth every penny. You will find 2-3 of them on every championship roster.

Is anyone in the draft going to be a better iso scorer than Sengun/Green once our guys exit puberty? Other than Henderson no one seems close, not even Wemby (who is not even a better 3pt shooter than Sengun right now). Whether you're a fan or not, the organization is letting Green/Sengun run a lot of offense next season. We only need a starting PG to add to that mix. There's no more room for someone else to hold the ball (especially a rookie) and dominate possession.

Doesn't stop us from finding a veteran excellent PG who can break the defense down for everyone. We have $60m in cap space and future picks. I would totally take him if I knew he was like Jabari, but the problem is he's nothing like Jabari. Who you're going to be depends on your mentality. If Brandon Miller is a troublemaker and doesn't work hard and gets depressed when there's bad news about him, he's nothing like Jabari and won't match Jabari's momentum in life.

red5rocket likes this.
  19. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Sounds good if Jabari becomes a light out 3 and D player.

There is no path to contention with Jabari's (without significant leaps).

20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Does Idea Merit Wasting Internet’s Time?

Dankstronaut and B-Bob like this.