1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson tank thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Apr 19, 2023.

1. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

With elite handles and court vision

Streakshooter and Ubiquitin like this.
  2. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When the talk of the Rockets trading the pick if it fell outside of the top 3 surfaced, most people seemed to take that as "there is nobody worth drafting past #3." My assumption is that the Rockets probably have a similar grade on the guy 4-10 on their board, so they can be a little more aggressive in trying to trade back in order to get more assets while still getting a player that they like. If the Rockets can't trade back, that's where you might see someone that the mocks have going later going to the Rockets at #4.

BaselineFade and groovemachine like this.
  3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He doesn't have elite handles. If I'm wrong feel free to show me.

4. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Amen has elite athleticism.

Otherwise, he is elite at nothing else.

Didn't show it in the OTE. Doesn't matter one bit even if he showed it against 16 year olds.

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

His passing/playmaking is elite. You can tell when a guy has that, no matter what level of competition he's playing at. I could see him averaging 10 assists in the NBA. Not as a rookie, but a few years down the road.

6. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Eh I kind of disagree. Homeboy literally delivered a gun used to kill someone to a random ass spot.

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

that he had no idea was in his vehicle

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Miller is almost guaranteed to be off the board by the time we pick, and I don't think there's any real chance we'd give up serious assets to trade up for a guy who caps out as something along the lines of Michael Porter Jr. If we trade up it'll be for Scoot, nobody else.

9. i3artow i3aller

I need everyone to be on their very best behavior around here.
    Hornets and Blazers will no doubt send their spying eyes Clutchfans way.
    If anyone asks, we tell em that we're just over the moon about Amen and his 2 way potential.
    Henderson is too short anyways. I heard he's the next Ish Smith and with that we pray that Scoot falls to us.

10. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

The FT% is definitely a big red flag here, and is what doomed Ben Simmons; if a guy is not willing to drive because he's afraid of contact, then that seriously limits his upside.

At the end of the day, even if Amen Thompson peaks at late-career Russ, you have to consider that a massive win at the #4 pick; an all-star who at least can get you into the playoffs, and holds some residual trade value, even if you're not going to win a chip building your team around him. What are the odds that he develops a workable counterweapon like the floater or mid-range and actually becomes a franchise player? Probably not great, but nearly every superstar had some kind of near-irreparable flaw to their game that they somehow overcame once they got to the league.

11. weopeo9744

weopeo9744 Member

He plays like penny hardway

GotGame15 likes this.
  12. NewAge

NewAge Member

Either one is a №1 pick
    Of course he’s ELITE! How else would they let him play in Overtime ELITE? As the name of the league tells you, it’s for ELITEs, I don’t think they let non-ELITEs play there

13. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Put down the hopium friends

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think the shooting woes aside, what intriguing is his playmaking. Playmaking is what can really mask a lot of a guards flaws. Giddey is a prime example, he stood out last year and this year because he has great consistent court vision and passing at his height.

If he is really an elite level passer, I would draft him. Typically court vision comes naturally and cannot be improved upon like other skills, either you got it or you don't.

Yung-T, Vudu, BaselineFade and 4 others like this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

sure hope you are right. This number 4, if he can learn to shoot is ourt best chance at a top 10 player in his prime. The Brooklyn picks are much more of a crap shoot.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Starting to jump on the Amen train.

With Harden almost a lock to come here, try to work a S&T with Morey and 76ers to create more cap for another Star.

Use the #4 on Amen, even if he's coming off the bench... that would be nuts. Someone build a depth chart for me with Amen coming off the bench :D

Streakshooter and groovemachine like this.
  19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I can see that you understand basketball. The PROCESS! Even the great Magic Johnson wasn't a great shooter, if you go back and look at his 3pt shot, it was laughable! But he could get to the basket early on and that's what Amen can do.

At 6'7 with PG ability AND the ability to guard 1 - 3, I can not believe there are people on this board against that! Plus athleticism, to me those are qualities you draft for with the Top 5 pick!

groovemachine likes this.
  20. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I can see that you understand basketball. The PROCESS! Even the great Magic Johnson wasn't a great shooter, if you go back and look at his 3pt shot, it was laughable! But he could get to the basket early on and that's what Amen can do.

At 6'7 with PG ability AND the ability to guard 1 - 3, I can not believe there are people on this board against that! Plus athleticism! To me those are qualities you draft for with the Top 5 pick!