1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stop Worrying about Amen’s Shooting...Two Words: Ben Sullivan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CHAMPBOY, May 19, 2023.

?

Should we draft Amen Thompson

1. Yes, Ben Sullivan will help him with his shot

34 vote(s)
    58.6%
  2. No, just BPA

24 vote(s)
    41.4%
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In a way, it is.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  2. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

This nephew thinks that's no other NBA teams have shooting coaches.

What did Amen do the last 2 years playing 'pro', training 8 hours a day without worrying about school?

3. TimDuncanDonaut

They hired Ollie for 1 year. Is he the shooting coach down there or someone else? :p:D

Ollie is interviewing for NBA HC gigs, so he there's his commitment to OTE (will stay until something better comes along).

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Jaylen Brown shot 29% in college

Kawhi shot 20% and 29% in his two seasons at SDSU

Marcus Smart shot 29% in college

These are outliers but not historical outliers (that would be Jason Kidd who learned to shoot midway through his career)

These guys aren't finished products, they are prospects. Amen may never shoot above 32% in a season or maybe he will. I wouldn't write him off with his work ethic. He's my second favorite player in this draft and alone in a tier with Scoot Henderson. The Rockets will be fortuitous if the Blazers or Hornets decide to take Brandon Miller.

i3artow i3aller, BMoney and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I like your chart and it show his shooting improved with his FG shooting and 3 point shooting that year. Was his 3 point shooting was at 44%…no but it has improved. Currently, Derrick White’s 3 point shooting has improved this year and Derrick and the organization has given Mr. Sullivan credit. Derrick White who shooting 40% at the 3 point line last year, this year he shot at 47%….why? Ask Derrick White and the Celtics organization…Mr. Sullivan. You need the article to read it? Rockets never had a shooting coach. Ime is getting a guru shooting coach, who is his friend. This hire will help Jabari, Jalen and Sengun…we are heading to the playoffs…

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Either you can shoot - the most important skill in the NBA or you can't - never has a guy come in that couldn't shoot that became a dead eye shooter......

Pass on Amen.......hard pass.

DD

ApacheWarrior and HillBoy like this.
  7. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Kawhi was a elite athlete with his size but could not shoot but San Antonio believed in him and worked on his shot. I do not know if Mr. Sullivan was there or not but San Antonio has always been known to help players with their shooting…..Mr. Sullivan is part of that

8. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Kawhi could not shoot, Tony Parker and Ramon Rondo could not shoot but was very athletic….these guys worked with shooting coach and became Champions. Again you can teach SHOOTING but you cannot teach elite 1st step, vision, feel for the game, elite passing and athleticism. He would be our BEST on ball defender on this team….

9. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

We are signing Harden. Thompson would be a wasted pick sitting behind Harden. The pick will be traded or the Rockets will take a ready to play wing like Walker, Dick, or Whitmore.

UTSA2step likes this.
  10. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Harden is a great player, gym rat and very experienced….but he is no young chicken. Harden is not going to last 4 years while in Houston’s Strip Joints and hanging with Lil Baby on the weekend in Vegas. I believe Harden is going to be hurt a lot this year and next year, but he will be teaching Amen how to be a pro point guard and Ben Sullivan will help with his shooting. No….we are keeping the pick and if Amen is there we are going to pick him but I do not trust Portland…they might pick Amen

His 4th year we will trade him to OKC and two first to get him off the books,,,,Brooklyn picks. BUT…he will have a knowledgeable POINT GUARD by then

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

would prefer ben help out our scoot henderson instead

TimDuncanDonaut and CHAMPBOY like this.
  12. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Would anyone trade Jabari, 4th pick and the 20th pick for Scoot? Scott is going to be a great player…sucks

13. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Rudyc281 and glimmertwins like this.
  14. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I think most people are worried about two words - Ben Simmons

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

And Simmons was an all-NBA player, before injuries and before he stopped caring about basketball...

16. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

He never cared about basketball.

17. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I think most people are worried about two words - Ben Simmons
    …and he stopped caring about basketball when defenses started to expose his poor shooting and make it his teams biggest weakness.

HardenReturns likes this.
  18. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Don’t know much about Amen other than a couple clips I have seen and a few scouting reports. I don’t think I have ever seen a combo guard with that much explosion and athleticism without any kind of jumpshot or good FT%. His FT% was 65.6 and 56.6 FG%. The bulk of his scoring seems to be in the paint with either layups or dunks.

We all know he can’t shoot 3’s. But other NBA players such as Fox and Morant can’t shoot 3’s either. But Fox had a mid range game even in college shooting that 15-20 footer. Fox shot 40% from from this range in his rookie year. Morant had a closer mid range game in college usually with floaters in the paint about 10-14 ft and shot 47% from this range his rookie year.

Both Fox and Morant aren’t good 3 pt shooters but they are dynamic in how and where they score on the court with long floaters, mid range pullups, or from the high screen and roll to the paint. Amen seems to lack this diversity in his offensive game from what I’ve seen with relying on blowing by people ending with a dunk or layup or getting a lob. But he has a natural feel for the game and very alert on offense finding open shooters consistently. He is interesting and Larry Hughes who Philly drafted in 98 comes to mind as an on ball explosive guy that couldn’t shoot FT or had a jumpshot but he didn’t have the crazy quickness Amen has or his passing.

19. i3artow i3aller

20. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Amen could improve but I don't see him ever being a great shooter. However if a coach could improve Green and Smith then you'd have something on your hands. They have it in them to be great shooters.