1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Arizona Coyotes Moving To Houston?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by boomboom, Dec 2, 2021.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Just have the NHL build the Rockets an up-to-date practice facility in return for a three year stint until they get their own hockey arena. Problem solved.

2. Poloshirtbandit

We went to the last Aeros game at Toyota Center and they had the curtains removed. But that game was a sellout. Attendance wise they did good compared to other IHL teams.

TMac'n likes this.
  3. Poloshirtbandit

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Les Alexander will boycott

5. VanityHalfBlack

There’s only one Texas hockey team and that’s the Dallas Stars. You fools don’t even watch hockey. A Houston hockey team lmao.

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Key quote:

The rejection of the Tempe arena plan leaves the franchise without any concrete options for a new NHL-sized facility in the state. There has been speculation about the Coyotes potentially relocating if the Tempe project failed, with Houston the most speculated-about potential destination.

The fourth-largest marketing area in the U.S., Houston has a hockey-ready arena in Toyota Center. The Coyotes already play in the Central Division, home to the Dallas Stars. But Houston Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta controls the facility, meaning any NHL team that plays there would be a tenant rather than reaping the benefits of its own building.

1. **** Dallas
    2. Further proof that Dallas is just a southern salient of yankeeland
    3. I think a hockey team would do amazing here. I would go

ryan_98, IBTL, clos4life and 3 others like this.
  7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Makes perfect sense, have been expecting this all along

Its embarrassing or the NHL to have a team playing professional games at a college practice facility.

Houston is easily the place that makes the most sense

8. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Houston v. Dallas NHL-style would be off the charts. Let the hatred flow through. My goodness that would be epic!

Just let Ferntits buy a huge minority stake in the club and get it done.

Plowman, RasaqBoi, ryan_98 and 6 others like this.
  9. VanityHalfBlack

The coyotes would get blown out and embarrassed. Now if they've gotten the first pick, you best bet I want them in Houston cause that means we would've gotten Connor Bedard.

ryan_98 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  10. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Unless Tilman owns the team they are going to want their own building and that ain't happening. This is a pipe dream not to mention fickle Houston fans where if the team isn't good no one cares.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

That’s true of virtually every market in every sport save a few examples. People have said the same about Tampa and Miami over the years and they’ve had an NHL team for decades now in smaller markets.

The coyotes proposal in Tempe was to be privately funded. The referendum was about permission to use that property. If they’re willing to spend that much money (which included cleaning up a landfill on the site where the arena was to be built) I assume they’d be willing to spend it elsewhere for a new building in a different market. Particularly in a bigger market.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm not in Houston anymore, but this would be pretty cool. I'm a fringe NHL fan but this would pull me in. Would also be cool to see JJ Watt purchase a minority stake if that happened. I just made that up though.

Also, I've always loved the old Texas Terror logo/theme from the arena league. Would be really cool to see that brought back and updated. Of course, I'll probably use Aeroes, and I wouldn't mind that, but would the Jets like that?

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wished someone could body check Ferntits for fun.

clos4life likes this.
  14. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

I'm not into hockey but I would start to follow a team in Houston. I'm not going to just pick a random city to follow. But if Houston is in, I'm in.

I have a good buddy in Dallas who is a big Dallas sports guy. He says out of the pro experience, the Stars are by far the most fun environment and fun game to go to.

RasaqBoi, rhino17, clos4life and 2 others like this.
  15. IBTL

IBTL Member

Would definitely go to some games if they came to Houston.

RasaqBoi and rhino17 like this.
  16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Hockey is enhanced more than any sport by the in-person viewing experience. Would be awesome to have in Houston.

rhino17, ryan_98 and MadMax like this.
  17. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Long thread but worth it at the end . You have no idea how excited I’d be about an NHL team in Houston.

Jturbofuel and Two Sandwiches like this.
  19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I gave up halfway through. Dude has a very odd definition of "mini" thread... that's the longest twitter thread I have ever seen.

clos4life and MadMax like this.