1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cougar Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Progs, Mar 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

you are the type of pu$$y that talk $hit behind the computer scene but won’t do $hit in real life. Lil Pu$$y

Joshfast likes this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

Doubleheader. UT vs LSU also on the same day. This will be a nice event at TC

3. Buck Turgidson

That's sweet. Let us (or just me) know when tix go on sale.

Dredd, Madmanmetz and YOLO like this.
  4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Gonna go ahead and post this in this thread, too, after seeing @i3artow i3aller post it in "Early 2023 Big Board/Prospect Talk" thread :

Plowman and i3artow i3aller like this.
  6. OremLK

OremLK Member

Walker and Sasser helped their draft stock today I think. Walker is more athletic than I think people realized, 38 inch vertical leap, and the 7'2.5" wingspan makes him look very capable of handling small ball 5. Sasser was lights out in the shooting drills, as seen here.

I can definitely see Sasser going later in the first round to a team that needs a backup point guard, and Walker may go top 5.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  7. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Walker measured out at 6'6.5". That's not going to help him.

Also, Sasser isn't a PG. He's a 6'1" SG. He's likely a second round pick.

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Nothing we didn't already know about Jarace's height. That's 6'8" in "add shoes and round up" list height.

I know Sasser isn't a traditional point guard, but I still think some team may take a flyer on him in the 20s. Those are contending teams looking for older, polished guys who can help right away this upcoming season, and he fits that profile to the T.

Plowman likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

6’6.5” is about an inch less than most expected but the massive wingspan and chiseled body will off set that.

To me it all comes down to whether you think he is a 3-4 or a 4-5. If he can develop enough offensively to play 3-4, he is a very good and valuable player.

Defensively, only Wemby has more upside.

It won’t happen, but if he slipped to 7-8 in the draft, I would support the Rockets trading back up to get him.

OremLK likes this.
  10. aelliott

I don't believe most people assumed that Walker was under 6'7". Couple that with the fact that he doesn't play physical at all and I think that he's more likely a 3-4 than 4-5.

With him, it was always been about what skills he can develop rather than what skills he already has. Also being undersized isn't a good thing.

A team may want to play Sasser at the point but his skills don't lend themselves to play there. When Shead went to the bench, 6'5" Tramond Mark played the point. The few times that both Shead and Mark were in foul trouble, freshman Emanuel Sharp played the point even though he's not really a PG either. Sasser would rarely ever dribble the ball against pressure.

I don't think one hot shooting day at the combine is going to vault Sasser into the first round. The Mitchell kid from UT didn't hit a single 3 point shot last season yet he still shot the 3 well yesterday at the combine. This isn't the days of drafting Mirsad Turksan over Rashard Lewis because of one great shooting performance at a workout.

11. Nook

Nook Member

I think that Cam Whitmore will go over Walker, because the offensive upside for Whitmore is very high, and Whitmore is also a skilled athlete.

As for Walker, his ticket is on the defensive side of the ball anyway and that is why he is a lottery pick. Him measuring 6''6.5" compared to 6'8" isn't going to make a big difference in that regard because of his strength, quickness and massive wingspan. As I have said before, the only people that will have a really strong opinion on his height will be those that view him as a 4/5 anyway. He is clearly someone that can defend at a high level, and offensively he was going to need to develop an outside shot regardless of whether you have him as a 3/4 or a 4/5.

As for Marcus Sasser, I have never been a huge fan of his but he is going to be drafted as a bench player that can shoot the 3 and defend with effort. He is capable of bringing the ball up and in the league now, there are usually multiple competent ball handlers on the court.

OremLK likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

Nothing surprised me about Walker or Sasser. Walker will go top 10 at worse and Sasser should be a 1st round pick. it doesn't really matter if sasser isn't a real pg. he's a combo guard and capable of being a ball handler. that's the epitome of the modern era of the league, coupled with being a sniper is the cherry on top. his hot shooting isn't some random luck. he killed them last year when he was testing waters. Sasser is every bit of a 1st round pick as grimes was.

#7132 YOLO, May 16, 2023
    Last edited: May 16, 2023
  13. aelliott

Grimes has much more size and strength over Sasser. Sasser is a SG in a pg body. I expect him to go in the 2nd round.

seemoreroyals likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

I don’t. He’s worked himself into a 1st round talent. I expect him to be rewarded for it by being so. Sasser has a role in the league that’s coveted just like a lot of the other smaller guards littered across the league

15. Aware

Aware Member

a little taller than expected but damn dude has some length

i was thinking 2nd but he might sneak into the first

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

19. Newlin