1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Shai vs. Luka as the Mavericks try to even the series in OKC. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[official] Rockets land 4th Pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, May 16, 2023.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Joe Cronin Reacts to NBA Draft Lottery: Third Pick is ‘Significant’ For Blazers Or Another Team

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

#362 zeeshan2, May 17, 2023
    Last edited: May 17, 2023
    larry cook likes this.
  3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Feels like we were badly swept in the 1st round.

HTownTmac1, vince and Reeko like this.
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's basically like those end of the 90's playoff series where Ostertag and Shaq started dunking on Hakeem and we knew it was over.

We're in the tunnel. No end in sight.

6. Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey Member

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Unfortunately so, unless we luck out. I'm not counting on that at all.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Rockets "luck" in the lottery... I'd say Adam Silver has already been in control of the franchise for years...

saleem and anthony59237 like this.
  10. SamFisher

Sounds like a guy who hasn't had to watch the Rockets recently

B-Bob likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Could a fourth pick and a future Nets pick with a guy like KMJ get us a guy like Siakam? He's a good vet borderline star that plays both sides of the ball well.

saleem likes this.
  12. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Damn, sorry Hakeem you don't have a stud to work with.

13. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Probably, but it comes down to fit. Is there a better borderline All-Star or All-Star available?

This offseason will show what kind of team Udoka and Stone want to create.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

We only had a 27.4% chance of getting Wemby or Scoot, versus a 47.8% chance of dropping to 5 or 6. It could have been much worse for us, as Detroit found out.

I haven't seen the Thompson twins play so those are elite prospects I have no opinion on. In college basketball, Brandon Miller looked great for most of the season, but really struggled down the stretch. I don't really see the PG13 comparison because PG was really explosive and an elite defender, whereas Miller is more of a smooth operator. Cam Whitmore's athleticism is eye popping for me. He's definitely built for the NBA physically which is a huge plus, but has a long way to go skills wise. I also like Jarace Walker's versatility even though that isn't highly valued in today's NBA.

With Miller and Scoot most likely gone by the time we pick, I'd lean towards picking Walker. He's not a high ceiling pick unfortunately, but he'd fit in with any lineup, will always bring defense and energy, and doesn't have a broken jumper. Our frontcourt depth is anemic and I could see him playing next to either Sengun or Jabari. If he's the PF version of Tari Eason I'd be okay with that. If he can elevate his game to an Aaron Gordon type we'd have done well. Maybe the Thompsons have star potential, but I'm not as keen to draft players I haven't seen like I was with Sharpe last year.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So how about the Rockets draft Jarace Walker, throw a massive offer at Cameron Johnson hoping the Nets don't match or maybe offer a S&T package with Sengun, KJ Martin and some of their own pick swaps back and go with a really switchy lineup of

Jabari
    Walker
    Johnson
    KPJ
    Green

I know it's a bit small, but I think between Jabari, Walker, and Johnson you'd have enough athleticism, strength (mostly Walker) and length to handle just about any center and you'd potentially have enough defense to make up for Jalen Green being on the court.

Plus you'd have MUCH better spacing if Johnson stays a good shooter, Walker can managed to match his 35% from college, and Jabari remembers that he used to know how to shoot.

I'm not sure there's many situations better than this one.

17. vince

vince Member

I think the NBA has gone full WWF/WWE, and foregone sport competition, and instead focus on sports entertainment. It’s an edited for television production.

It’s like watching Olympic Gymnastics, where you need to let the judges tell you what you saw and who won. It’s entertaining as hell, but the ball and the hoop aren’t the arbitrators of deciding the outcome. It’s the refs, the networks, and the league management, etc.

YaoMac09 likes this.
  18. SamFisher

If we're quoting Disney Gary Clark looking for signs of hope then there is no hope, that guy has Usman Garuba in Springfield already.

19. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Most people can accept that political decisions which impact our lives are influenced by lobbies and $$$ … but can’t accept the NBA which exists to make $$$ from entertainment is not rigged in some way.

vince likes this.
  20. Reeko

Reeko Member

last night was a gut punch for sure

saleem likes this.