1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Amen delusion must stop

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Noob Cake, May 17, 2023.

Tags:
  1. MystikArkitect

There's been times where I've had to dip for a bit because of the toxicity. But I might just lay off until Pre-Season. The whining and entitlement right now is absolutely off the charts.

2. daytripper

daytripper Member

They have never put Jalen in a position to succeed which is by far my biggest gripe with this organization the past 2 years.

Mathloom and cbass like this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL

Now that's hilarious.

They've let him do whatever he's wanted ever since he got here. He's had the highest usage and he takes the most shots, he doesn't even have to pretend to play any defense. On top of that, they set him up with numerous open 3's every game only for him to brick them.

No one has been pushed like Jalen....he's just not any good.

csc177, HillBoy, NewAge and 1 other person like this.
  4. OremLK

OremLK Member

I've only found limited clip reels on YouTube, not sure if there's another place to find them.

xaos likes this.
  5. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He is a G League All Star

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

OTE doesn’t bother me one bit. I’m more inclined to pick someone that passes on college for OTE or Ignite, honestly.

but shooting is shooting. The 3 point line is the same no matter what and he can’t hit it.

amaru and Ubiquitin like this.
  7. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

He’s Ben Simmons without a shot

No Worries likes this.
  8. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

It'll get worse when the draft happens. Even when we were contenders, this forum was plagued with toxicity. I also had to step away a few years back and came back when we started tanking. No matter what pick we got (even if we got 1st overall) people will be toxic.

larry cook and peleincubus like this.
  9. csc177

csc177 Member

This is exactly while you're not a talent evaluator for a professional sports team and rather a forum contributor w/ an opinion.

larry cook likes this.
  10. xaos

xaos Member

Yeah I haven't seen a full game of the Thompson brothers so it's really hard to have an opinion. There are some obvious things that stands out, but nothing compares to watching full games

11. NewAge

NewAge Member

damn? what if I want delusion? Who are you to say "must stop"?
    I say Henderson delusion must stop. Short. Q shot selection. Didn't dominate the BushGLeague the way D.Nix did at his age...

Arnel likes this.
  12. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I couldn't find a complete game but here are his highlights vs Mega Mis. Nikola Djurisic projected late first or second round pick plays for Mega. 18,9,9,5,4. Better than "church league" competition.

i3artow i3aller, Arnel, Vudu and 2 others like this.
  13. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

So much wrong in the negative takes here. I don't really understand the anti-Amen toxicity. Like the visceral hate for this guy who most professional scouts say is an elite prospect, worthy of a top pick, a really great fit for Houston, and also that they're great kids, super competitors who are obsessed with basketball. Both Thompsons are also great Udoka fits -- high character, tough, big workers who play team first basketball. The Athletic reported that the Spurs had Amen #2 on their board for instance.

We should be pumped. Scoot or Wemby was a 1 in 4 chance. It's gone. Wemby didn't even want to be here. Amen is a really really exciting prospect at our position of need both offensively and defensively. Would love to have him representing Houston. Amen + Jalen + Jabari as a core is incredibly exciting. Gives you shotmaking, playmaking, athleticism, positional size, defense, and dog.

Not going to point out every detail wrong with OP's post, but have to call out this:

This just makes it just so obvious someone didn't watch their games. The Thompsons crushed the league this year -- just their style of play isn't as bucket getters or hyper heliocentric players.

Amen's total plus/minus was +342 in 600 minutes. Jokic led the NBA by far this year with +640 in 2,300 minutes. When Amen was on the court his team dominated by 2x the amount Jokic won by this year (and Jokic was not just the leader in the NBA this year, he was an outlier).

There wasn't one quarter where it wasn't obvious a Thompson was the best player / prospect on the court, whether or not shots were going in.

Also this:

This is just factually wrong. The OTE playoffs (which Amen swept 5-0 averaging 17/9/7/2/1 on 52/30/77) were against these players on the other 2 teams:

Naasir Cunningham, 18yo, 5 star recruit, projected 2025 1st round lottery pick (could reclassify to 2024)
    Rob Dillingham, 18yo, 5 star recruit projected 2024 1st round pick (starting at Kentucky this season)
    Matt Bewley, 19yo former 5 star recruit
    Somto Cyril, 17yo 4 star, projected 2025 2nd round pick
    Tyler Smith, 18yo 5 star recruit
    Izan Almansa, 18yo European, projected 2024 1st round pick
    Jazian Gortman, 20yo 5 star recruit, projected 2023 2nd round pick
    Kanaan Carlyle, 18yo 4 star recruit
    Alexander Sarr, 18yo European, projected 2024 1st round pick

All of these players were top 50 in their class. Concentrated on just 2 teams the Thompsons were playing against. Don't get me wrong, OTE is not strongly coached and turns into a track meet frequently. But OTE has a ton of talent, athleticism, and size relative to college basketball.

Suggesting otherwise is giving away you haven't researched what you're talking about.

Also, for those who don't know, the true OTE games are the ones against the other OTE teams YNG Dreamerz and Cold Hearts, there are a few (~10) other games that are just filler / practice games against random local teams - scouts don't care about those. Also their games against Euro and NBL teams are useful to look at.

#33 carl_herrera, May 17, 2023
    Last edited: May 17, 2023
  14. xaos

xaos Member

Thanks! Will watch when I get a chance

BaselineFade likes this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Thats the million dollar question! I dont even know what that means honestly as I believe you can win with a spread attack of combo guards if you have competent shooters on the floor. Everyone is hot to trot for Scoot Henderson too and he's not a pure PG in my eyes either.

One mans trash is another mans treasure!

NewAge likes this.
  16. mightybosstone

I watched this guy's post-lottery mock draft on Youtube this morning, and he raved about Thompson and his fit in Houston next to Jalen Green. You can cherrypick stats, tweets or weaknesses of any player, but let's not ignore the context that most competent NBA analysts have this kid as a top 4 prospect in this draft.

larry cook likes this.
  17. Asian Sensation

[​IMG]

No Worries likes this.
  18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Harden fans and KPJ fans are uniting to fight against the X-Amen.

Arnel, rfrocket and mightybosstone like this.
  19. mightybosstone

It's shocking to me how many fans think they know better than NBA analysts and front offices who scout and study prospects for a living. You don't think those guys know the same weaknesses the Thompson twins have? That you guys are somehow unearthing shocking new information that experts haven't already considered? You're wrong.

I don't know if Thompson will be a star or completely bust. But nobody else in these forums do either, and I'm far more likely to trust draft experts, analysts and NBA front offices than the average fan.

Madmanmetz, Y2JT and Htown's Finest like this.
  20. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

How about neither and trade the pick.

amaru, fchowd0311 and Bobbythegreat like this.