1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

#4 Pick Trade Packages

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Landry's Tooth, May 16, 2023.

1. Tankeio

Tankeio Member

Ppl talking **** but I'd give that up for Brown. If made the first option he can be a legit Superstar imo. It's not like we've gotten anything close to a superstar much less an all star with are last picks...

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

1. He's not available. The Celtics aren't giving him up unless he demands out, and he isn't giving up $100M to sign with the second-worst team in basketball, and the Rockets aren't trading for him without an extension. Brown is over. Everyone needs to get over it.

2. That dude is not a superstar. This is the first time he averaged over 25 points, and then just barely. There were six players who averaged over 30 points per game this season. This isn't your daddy's NBA. 26ppg does not a superstar make. Especially when he was taking 20 shots a game (3rd highest per game average in the NBA). He disappeared on offense for long stretches against Philly, and needed Tatum to absolutely go off to save their season. No thank you. Not as the #1 scoring option.

lakersuck2, Hemingway and Tankeio like this.
  3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Two possible plays:

1. Draft Scoot Henderson or Amen Thompson with 1.4. One or both will be there. You have to be sold on him developing into an all star PG.

2. Trade down. Talent is a bit flat between 1.4 and 1.10. Trade would also include the other team’s 2024 unprotected FRP which is likely lottery. With 1.10 draft Cam Whitmore, Jarace Walker, Cason Wallace, Taylor Hendricks, Anthony Black, Nick Smith or Ausar Thompson.

4. Landry's Tooth

You convince Charlotte that Scoot and Miller aren't all that...

#2 + unprotected 2024 #1
    For
    #4 + Jalen Green

We take Brandon Miller to pair with Jabari and put KPJ at the 2 to replace Green.

Then we still have cap space for Point Guard and Backup Center.

No Worries likes this.
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Things just keep getting better for the Rockets because the Blazers are going to be shopping the 3rd pick (unless they can send Lillard to... Brooklyn...) and i wouldn't be surprised if the Pistons look to move off 5 in a similar "let's suck less now" gambit.

There's a high likelihood ol wheeler dealer Tilman os going to be selling into a buyers market - not a whole lot of confidence there.

Folks will tell you this was not the worst possible lotto outcome - it's pretty ****in far down there though.

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think Green and #4 for Bridges would get it done. But I don’t think Harden/Bridges catapults us to contention. I don’t see any responsible way to short cut the rebuild. We are still so far away.

Williamson likes this.
  7. Landry's Tooth

The only thing is the Nets have a player same age and position as Green who has outplayed him, granted in much smaller sample size.

So I'm not sure he moves the needle. I think they ask for Jabari and I would say no.

Aruba77 likes this.
  8. Landry's Tooth

Here's my shopping list:

Point Guard
    Stretch 4 who plays D
    Backup Center who protects rim, runs pick/roll
    Backup Point Guard

If you can fill one of those via the draft at 4, then that is ok. I still think the pick works better as a trade chip. There are teams wanting to unload contracts before the new CBA kicks in a year from now. Draft picks are worth more than ever under the new CBA.

If a team is trading for 4 they should be getting a guy ready to play right away.

I'm looking at teams with highest payrolls and oldest ages... try to check off one or two off the list for the pick...

9. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I'm not giving up Green, but I would consider #4 + some of their draft capital. Like, I would trade #4 plus their remaining swaps for Bridges. Not sure they would go for that, but it would give them flexibility.

Y2JT and Aruba77 like this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What teams don't have a player that has outplayed Green?

You sell him based on hype and hope you find a dumb GM.

11. daytripper

daytripper Member

Yes last night was a bit disappointing.

With that said there's no way Scoot is falling to 4.

The cost to trade up is going to be exorbitant and not sure Rox have the pieces to do it. Not sure I'd want to spend the capital to do it either.

I wouldn't hate it if the FO ultimately decides to trade down to the 5-9 range after carefully weighing all their options. If Scoot is unattainable then I would go for the sure thing 3&D type PG in Cason Wallace. Maybe his ceiling isn't quite as high ( although he is a Kentucky guard and they typically seem to outplay their draft slot).

All I know is I cannot go thru another season with no PG. Maybe Amen has all the potential in the world but if I'm the FO I really don't trust him to come in and actually run an NBA team especially considering he was playing for a glorified rec league squad this past year. His lack of shooting is likely going to be a real issue too. They have way too much invested in the Green/Jabari core and need to find a young PG to grow with them.

Corpusfan, Aruba77 and No Worries like this.
  12. Roxfan4lyfe

Roxfan4lyfe Member

Scoot not coming guys give it up the Rockets are in a tough position in this years draft, me personally I don’t see them trading up but I can see them trading back, unfortunately The NBA ****ed the Rockets once again with the draft lottery disappointment

#172 Roxfan4lyfe, May 17, 2023
    Last edited: May 17, 2023
  13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

This I like and is possible. Good job.

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Harden.

15. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

A realistic off-season might look like this:

#4, #20, KPJ and KMJ (possibly other picks, players like Garuba, JC, TyTy) for Trae Young.

Sign Middleton and some bench veterans.

Now you’re starting 5 is set and you’ve got Eason learning under Middleton.

This isn’t what I would want but not getting that top 3 pick really ****ed everything up.

That being said everything is still dependent on one of Green, Smith or Sengun becoming a top player. Young facilitating and Middleton playing solid 3D with a vet presence would help with their growth.

16. Landry's Tooth

Sure, if there's not a younger option available...

17. Landry's Tooth

I'm terrified if they turn the AC up to hard in Toyota center that Green and Young might fall down....

18. riko

riko Member

Charlotte is predicted to take miller so make a deal with the blazers for a pick swap and get Scoot at 3.

Corpusfan likes this.
  19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Do not want Trae Young. He and Green would be even worse on defense than KPJ and Green. Plus he is a chucker who his teammates don’t care for.

daytripper likes this.
  20. daytripper

daytripper Member

Assuming the cost to trade up for Scoot is too exorbitant, I would try to trade down with Utah and grab some of those sweet, unprotected Minny picks in the process.

Draft Cason Wallace at 9. They could bring in a vet PG to mentor him for a season or two. The PG issue need to be fixed immediately and I would both draft a young guy and also bring in a vet.

The Rox would be armed with enough future draft capital to be in the conversation for when the next big star gets traded.

No Worries and Corpusfan like this.