1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Worried About Amen Thompson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, May 16, 2023.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The Thompson twins shoot like Ben Simmons with a concussion.

2. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

We should draft Grady Dick so the board can be infested with Dick Only Fans :cool::D:eek:o_O

J.R. and Bobbythegreat like this.
  3. BonziWellsGOAT

I am very apprehensive because of the terrible shooting and level of competition but everything else is super enticing. The size and length with his elite athleticism and passing instincts and vision make it tough to not take a swing on him if you can't trade up. Not to mention the defensive upside he has. At this point you might as well gamble on him if you can't trade for scoot

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It was always a one player draft. You either win the lottery, or decide what trash to roll the dice on.

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

40% on layups too....my god lol

6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Grady Dick at 4. F it.

While there are some concerns about Dick's athleticism hurting his offensive game at the next level, the bigger concerns lie on the defensive end, where he is noticeably lacking in lateral quickness and is taken off the dribble often. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Klay-Thompson-5490/ ©DraftExpress

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

20% of his made field goals were dunks…I don’t even know if Giannis’ was that high in the NBA

robbie380 likes this.
  8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Amen makes Russel Westbrook look like Steph Curry. This is a high bust, very low reward player.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  9. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Yes, but you have to show the desire to do it. This kid has shown no desire to put in the work to change his mechanics. This has been his only job for like 2 years, he should be much better than he is.

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Not sure if good or bad. What if he won't get dunks in the NBA. Does he have a layup package or would it look like Jalen Green throwing the ball at the rim

11. daytripper

daytripper Member

OK they didn't win the lottery last night.

They have so much invested in Green/Jabari they need to start surrounding them with players who are going to help them reach their potential or someone in the FO is getting fired. I'm thinking the Thompson twins are just too hit/miss esp for a team like the Rox who already have young, high end prospects on the roster.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's actually a legitimate possibility. He'd come in as at worst the 2nd best shooter on the roster and he'd finally give KPJ a competent shooter worth passing to.

There's other question marks about his game, but in a draft this disgusting, he actually has a potentially elite NBA skill.

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

he’ll get dunks in transition, but ain’t no way he’ll be getting dunks at that rate where 20% of his made shots are dunks

his layup package isn’t bad, but it was man amongst boys for him at OTE…won’t be like that in the NBA

he looks a lot more built and developed than someone like Jalen Green coming into the NBA tho

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Not fair to say low reward. If he actually gets to 33% from 3pt range on 2 attempts, he can dominate the PG position in the NBA. That's what so sad about his shot being off.

I'm not as worried about his finishing at the rim. I bet that's happening BECAUSE defenders are sagging off him and he's running into a wall of defenders in the paint. He has the height, quickness, shiftiness, body control, willingness AND strength to finish inside. We can totally train him up way more than the OTE ever can.

However it's not possible for his finishing to improve if his defender is hanging out at the FT line clogging the paint for him and every other player. Joel Embiid went from fringe superstar to MVP because Simmons' defender was no longer bugging him.

I know that some people wish for the NBA to go back to a way it was in the past, but that's never going to happen and we don't need to fight that fight. We need to fight for the things that bring a trophy only.

15. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Amen have the potential to be a ALL STAR, and DPOY. He has a elite first step(quicker than Jalen), great vision and elite passer. He is a decent free throw shooter and he loves driving inside the paint. He can be a great defender. He should not start for us, but being a backup point guard this year, maybe getting Harden or Van Vleet and Amen works on floaters, free throw shooting and his shot with Coach Lucas.

16. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Amen have the potential to be a ALL STAR, and DPOY. He has a elite first step(quicker than Jalen), great vision and elite passer. He is a decent free throw shooter and he loves driving inside the paint. He can be a great defender. He should not start for us, but being a backup point guard this year, maybe getting Harden or Van Vleet and Amen works on floaters, free throw shooting and his shot with Coach Lucas.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's a lesser Ben Simmons, who is having people hype him due to highlights from playing in a glorified rec league against children.

I honestly don't see either of the Thompson twins staying in the NBA more than a handful of seasons.

18. PatBev

PatBev Member

Don’t know much about the twins but the look like they could be hell of defenders. Thompson, Tari, Jabari could be a nasty defensive line up

If Scoot can’t shoot why would we trade up vs taking a 6’7 defensive playmaking athlete

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Henderson is a bad shooter for a professional basketball player, the Thompsons are bad shooters for random middle school kids.

20. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Put this in the other Amen thread, but figured I'd put it here too.

While I 100% agree that OTE competition sucks, I'm not sure it is as bad as some think, at least from a size/age standpoint. I get the impression people think Amen/Ausar were doing things against 6'2" 14 year old centers, but glancing at the list of players on various teams (and remembering what I saw in various highlights), I think a lot of the big men are...pretty big. Seems every team has at least a 6'11 guy (usually 17ish or older). Saw a 320lb big man on one team. I only found one 15 year old (only looked at 10-15 players at random), though there was a player with Age: N/A (haha).

I think a lot of these big men are stiffs with not a ton of basketball talent, but they seem to have good size, strength, etc. So take that as you will.

(I'm definitely drinking the Amen Kool-Aid, sorry)