1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[official] Rockets land 4th Pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, May 16, 2023.

1. ThatWriterGuy

ThatWriterGuy Contributing Member

San Antonio (and Austin if you wanna include them) is/are just not (a) major market/s. Houston's Metro is still bigger than San Antonio and Austin's combined. San Antonio is, probably besides New Orleans and maybe Memphis, is probably the LAST place the NBA would want to have a transcendent star such as Wemby.

2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

We got the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th pick in consecutive drafts. In all the drafts we had the same odds to get the 1st pick as the other 3 worst records. To call that a failure is soooooooo stupid. I sincerely believe that both Green and Jabari are going to be the best players in their drafts and Wemby is going to be a bust. In any case, the Rockets are going to get another very good player this year and have a tone of cap space. The tank was all we could really do and we ended in a very good position to be very good for a very long time, unless Tillman gives it away for aging not worthy vets. The Spurs are a tiny market and got the first pick because they got lucky and had the same odds that the Rockets did. Conspiracy theories giving the Spurs the first pick are illogical at best and asinine in reality. Quit whining you bunch of sniffling little cellar dwelling twits.

cmlmel77 and OremLK like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

And the 4th pick in this draft is absolute trash. It’s without a doubt a failure. Nothing stupid about it. It’s common sense. I’ll do what I want and call it like it is. Failure. You definitely ain’t stopping anyone. If they foolishly keep this pick they’re not getting anyone special. Not anyone that will impact what the top 3 would have.

#303 YOLO, May 16, 2023
    Last edited: May 16, 2023
  4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I’m not wishing it, I’m predicting it.

don grahamleone likes this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

maybe they could’ve finagled Wemby to Charlotte with LaMelo

but I can definitely see the league wanting Wemby in San Antonio as opposed to the likes of Detroit or Houston…if anyone will develop him properly, it’s Pop…plus all the connections San Antonio had to him, people were calling Wemby to SA for the longest for a reason

we were getting destroyed through the media an absurd and inordinate amount…all u heard is how much of a clown show we are and how dysfunctional the organization is…then we went and announced we’re bringing Ime, the guy coming off a season long suspension, to represent us on lotto night…just a bad omen

#305 Reeko, May 16, 2023
    Last edited: May 16, 2023
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

now it gives incentive for TP and the France connection to get back involved with the spurs.

pippendagimp and Reeko like this.
  7. OremLK

OremLK Member

We beat the odds every single time. This one was the closest to where we "should" have picked, but getting into the top 4 was still slightly less likely than picking 5th/6th.

I agree San Antonio just got lucky. Detroit, Houston, DC, Dallas, and Toronto were all the lottery. San Antonio is smaller than all of those media markets. Why would you rig the draft to give them the top pick? Just because Pop has been such a good boy? How much do you really think the league gives a sh** about that stuff? They're a bunch of money-grubbing weasels. If they were going to rig anything, which would be extremely risky with low rewards, it would be to maximize the league's profits, not in service of some stupid narrative.

All of that said, f*** the Spurs for getting lucky yet again.

cmlmel77 and Hemingway like this.
  8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If you can’t build a team from the 2nd, 3rd and 4th picks over consecutive years, you probably need to start looking for another job.

pugsly8422, DCHAMP, cbass and 15 others like this.
  9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'm not saying it's rigged, but it behooves the NBA to get generational players in Markets that Suck. Lebron in Cleveland. AD in NO. Wemby in San Antonio. It saves the peripheral market cities, until tje drafted stars force their wsy out or leave in gree agency.

10. icewill36

icewill36 Member

lol this sucks....

this team has been cursed since they did carmelo dirty

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't think there's really any guards that will be in consideration since none of the guys you named can shoot a basketball worth a damn. I know there's hype behind Amen Thompson, but the guy can't shoot a basketball and he was a turnover machine in a glorified rec league.

I think they'll look to the forwards, maybe Jarace Walker, Cam Whitmore, or Taylor Hendricks. Something like that.

12. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I wish I wouldn’t care so much, but I do. 4th pick hurts as ****. I am depressed. The worst I have felt about an offseason since Bosh ****ed us up.

Roomba and LosRockets2011 like this.
  13. Caesar

Caesar Member

Its got to be a starting 1, 3 or even 5 imo

14. LosRockets2011

LosRockets2011 Contributing Member

3 years of being the worst team for what? This year will tell us what this organization is about. But just looking at most western teams, we're going to suck for a long time. And by the time we're an OK team. Spurs are back to being a Dynasty. Fml

15. LosRockets2011

LosRockets2011 Contributing Member

3 years of being the worst team for what? This year will tell us what this organization is about. But just looking at most western teams, we're going to suck for a long time. And by the time we're an OK team. Spurs are back to being a Dynasty. Fml

16. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Might be it for this franchise

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's the problem really, there's nobody that would start at 1, 3 is a maybe, and nobody that would start at 5 unless we're going small and picking a strong PF to play 5.

You could realistically play Jarace Walker and Jabari Smith at the 4 and 5, you may be able to do that with Hendricks as well.

Honestly though, there's a REALLY good case to be made for just trading the pick. This was a 1 man draft, everything else is mid at best.

Caesar likes this.
  18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I feel that this is a fitting chapter 5 for Tilman Fertitta's reign. The story continues.

19. TheKaz

TheKaz Member

Literally all the #1 picks choose their teams. How did D. Rose just so happen to get Chicago or LeBron Cleveland? It has to look good so the teams they choose have to be possible. Wemby already knew players from the spurs organization so of course they'd give them #1 pick because he wants to go there.

20. TheKaz

TheKaz Member

Literally all the #1 picks choose their teams. How did D. Rose just so happen to get Chicago or LeBron Cleveland? It has to look good so the teams they choose have to be possible. Wemby already knew players from the spurs organization so of course they'd give them #1 pick because he wants to go there.