1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

[Anxiety] NBA Draft Lottery

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RKREBORN, May 16, 2023.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

we ain’t making the playin.

Nook likes this.
  2. shocky2002

shocky2002 Member

There's definitive evidence Stern rigged the Ewing lottery and Stern groomed Silver. Just saying.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You need an analrapist

ElPigto and Ubiquitin like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Well…. I’ll say this.

Assuming Brandon Miller doesn’t bomb the workouts or start shooting at coach’s during private workouts- the Rockets likely end up with Amen Thompson.

Amen Thompson is potentially a perfect fit for the Rockets. Defensively he is perfect next to Green because he is a talented defender with size and length.

Offensively Thompson is a natural point guard, which the Rockets need. He also is extremely quick in transition, which fits everyone on the roster.

If Thompson learns to shoot, he will be the best player on the Rockets- it just may take him a year or two.

Thompson/Green/Smith - that’s a really nasty 1-3 potentially that fits well together.

Deuce, JoeBarelyCares, Qan and 2 others like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love your that homerism shines on.

7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I appreciate your optimism @Nook but this **** was rigged and we will never win a championship with the Spurs next dynasty in the way.

Nook likes this.
  8. astros123

astros123 Member

I'm pretty sure the guy who's talking about anal to a random guy on the message boards is the one who needs the therapy but okay weirdo

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Victor sucks. Sengun is better.

BigShasta and Ubiquitin like this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This is what I'm hoping for. All I have left is to hit the hopium as a Rockets fan.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Probably not - but the odds were long for us to begin with. I said a month ago I would be happy with #3 and okay with #4.

I just hope the plan isn’t to trade the pick and then sign Harden.

James Harden is one of the most talented scorer in basketball history and I actually think he is a decent person from what I have heard from people around the Rockets—— but if he ends up signing with the Rockets at 34 years old, it means he has mailed it in…. That’s not a good idea for anyone.

RKREBORN likes this.
  13. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Jarace anyone?

daywalker02 likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Even if Harden signs, Harden should not be made priority, he should be a Number 3 priority at best.

Need veterans like Conley who cares about helping.

Who helped Minny at least making the Playoffs.

Nook likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

Nope.

Amen Thompson.

The only hope the Rockets have against the Spurs or Blazers (who are above us in young rebuilding now) is to hit a homer and that’s rolling the dice on the guy with enormous upside.

Deuce, snowconeman22 and yixiixiy like this.
  16. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

17. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have NEVER been this disappointed in a draft lottery. I don't know why I bothered getting my hopes up. We will NEVER get a chance like this again in my lifetime to draft a basketball protege center like Wemby. I want to cry. Now we will have to play against him for years! Ugh. It would be like rubbing salt in my wounds if Harden came back too.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

It ain’t amen or his brother. Both of them are going to be classic busts who were overhyped to begin with

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Draft Big Dick…WGAS

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiret...rs-In-ESPNs-First-Post-Lottery-NBA-Mock-Draft

San Antonio Spurs: Victor Wembanyama
    Charlotte Hornets: Brandon Miller
    Portland Trail Blazers: Scoot Henderson
    Houston Rockets: Amen Thompson
    Detroit Pistons: Ausar Thompson
    Orlando Magic: Cam Whitmore
    Indiana Pacers: Jarace Walker
    Washington Wizards: Anthony Black
    Utah Jazz: Gradey Dick
    Dallas Mavericks: Taylor Hendericks
    Orlando Magic (via Bulls): Jordan Hawkins
    Oklahoma City Thunder: Cason Wallace
    Toronto Raptors: Keyonte George
    New Orleans Pelicans: Nick Smith Jr.
    Atlanta Hawks: Jalen Hood-Schifino
    Utah Jazz (via Wolves): Noah Clowney
    Los Angeles Lakers: Jett Howard
    Miami Heat: Rayan Rupert
    Golden State Warriors: Kobe Bufkin
    Houston Rockets (via Clippers): Brice Sensabaugh
    Brooklyn Nets (via Suns): Leonard Miller
    Brooklyn Nets: Bilal Coulibaly
    Portland Trail Blazers (via Knicks): James Nnaji
    Sacramento Kings: Kris Murray
    Memphis Grizzlies: Dereck Lively II
    Indiana Pacers (via Cavaliers): Dariq Whitehead
    Charlotte Hornets (via Nuggets): Maxwell Lewis
    Utah Jazz (via Sixers): Colby Jones
    Indiana Pacers (via Celtics): Andre Jackson
    Los Angeles Clippers (via Bucks): Jaime Jaquez Jr.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. Houston Rockets

Amen Thompson | 6-7 lead guard | 20 years old | Overtime Elite

The Scout: The first of the Thompson twins to go, Amen is the point guard of the duo. He’s an electric athlete out in space and in transition, where he can drive easy buckets as a genuine top 1 percent athlete in the NBA. He has a great first step and is an elite leaper and also has tremendous hang time and body control in the air. He attacks the basket aggressively. But he also is a very high-level passer and playmaker who can find his teammates from all sorts of angles and positions. Defensively, Thompson has some real mechanical issues to clean up, but his length and athleticism gives him all sorts of upside, and he already makes consistent plays on that end. He needs more experience making reads in half-court settings — he didn’t get a chance to do a ton of that with Overtime Elite, comparatively to other prospects. But his upside is enormous because of the pressure he puts on defenses.

The Fit: The Rockets end up here and get a perfect high-upside swing who would pair sublimely in the backcourt with Jalen Green. Thompson would up the competitive level of the team immediately due to his aggressive transition play and desire to be great. He plays hard and pushes the pace constantly. He fills an immediate need at the point guard position that has hampered them over the last couple of seasons with Kevin Porter Jr. running the show. Thompson might take a year to really lock in as he continues to develop as a half-court decision-maker, but this is the kind of swing that could transform Houston in a significant way long term. If he hits his ceiling, Thompson and Green have “best backcourt in the NBA” upside.

The Range: No. 3 to No. 6

20. Houston Rockets (via LAC)

Dariq Whitehead | 6-6 wing | 18 years old | Duke

The Scout: A bet on Whitehead is a bet on the shooting upside he showcased this past season — making 42 percent from 3 — as well as the upside he’d showcased at the high school level. His tape at Duke was not that of a first-round pick. He couldn’t pressure the rim and struggled within a team construct defensively. But context is important. Whitehead suffered a fifth metatarsal foot injury in the summer, which extended into the preseason and kept him out of the team’s first three games in addition to missing valuable practice time. He had a follow-up surgery in May to repair the foot that apparently did not heal properly the first time. This had an enormous impact on Whitehead’s season, as he looked to be nowhere near the athlete at Duke that he was in high school when he was undeniably one of the best players in his class. This is a very difficult situation to judge, and because of the medical factor, his range is quite wide.

The Fit: The Rockets got this pick in a smart trade with the LA Clippers that saw them move up 10 draft slots into the middle of the first round in exchange for Eric Gordon. That allowed them to enter a different tier of player who will be available. Under the Rafael Stone regime, they have tended to take the best player available. I would imagine that will be the case at No. 20, as the Rockets are still far enough away from competing that it’s worth them just adding talent. Whitehead’s shooting skill could mesh nicely on the wing with Tari Eason in bench lineups as well, and his upside is a good bet for them.

The Range: N0. 15 to 35