1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Another Harden thread) Stephen A says the Rockets aren’t giving Harden a Max deal.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, May 15, 2023.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

LOL - ok, this is like rudimentary thinking - a PG doesn't magically make a difference......but that's ok to think it does I guess.

A system moves players into positions where they are most effective, not least effective.....

DD

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Dead last FG% when shooting wide open shots. Looks are there. Passes are made and shooters sucked.

3. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Are you arguing that there’s not much of an offensive gap between kpj and harden?

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

You're rushing to build a strawman. Im not comparing any players. Im simply asking if a "better pg" is going to help this team make open shots. James Harden played for a team that actually made shots for him. You think Harden would be ecstatic to set up open jump shots for this team only to have them clank the majority of them? He's going to be icing out players worse than KPJ ever did.

5. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Yes, I think going from terrible to elite at any position is going to make a big impact. Same if we replace jabari with kd

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Ok so who are the "elite" shooters on this team? Who will benefit most by adding an "elite" playmaker to help make those wide open shots even easier?

7. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

This is honestly such a ludicrous argument that it’s not worth having. I know that’s your “thing” but it’s so disingenuous that it’s pointless. If you think harden replacing kpj won’t help the offense, cool.

8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

If you think shooting was not an issue for this team then yeah there's no real discussion to be had.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Buddy these guys were open by 6 feet or more! They had time to reposition, look at the ball, wink at the stands and then shoot! Interesting thing is that the ROX were actually better when defended more closely - what do you make of that? Just using common sense - what good will MORE open looks be if they cant make them? I think too many guys are trying to put an individual assessment stamp on this thing and are just blissfully ignoring some of the biggest problems this team faced collectively last year. Shooting the ball is kind of an important aspect if you expect a team to contend. James Harden is going to quit midseason if he comes back and this roster does not improve as a whole in the shooting department.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

Great, if this fool is saying we won't that probably means we will. Hope this is one of those "broken clock" things because SAS is usually dead wrong.

12. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Harden makes the team much better in the short term. It wouldn't shock me if he could elevate the Rockets to a playin level playoff team regardless of the lottery results, if you want to go back to his ball dominate role in his previous stint here and add a few veterans.

The team isn't likely to be a real contender during the life of a new James Harden contract though. He couldn't win as the first option here pre-30. He is 33 now. He couldn't win with Durant and Kyie. He couldn't get past the 2nd round with the current MVP on his roster in Embid. It's not like he is losing these elimination games, but putting up superstar numbers. He hasn't played well when he was needed the most on a consistent basis in the playoffs. His poor playoff reputation is in large part not just to losing, but to being a non-factor, or net negative in the games he gets knocked out. Zero points in 32 combined minutes of fourth-quarter action in the final three games of a playoff series isn't an anomaly at this point. He is more likely to get worse than better at age 33.

Accountability has been a problem with our young players. Harden doesn't like being held accountable, and it's hard to picture that changing when he is the best player on the worst team in the league.

I have no problem with a team friendly 1-2 year deal, but I don't believe Harden really has any interest in that for what is likely his last chance to get a big contract to play for a last place team. He can go to a team favored to win it all next year if he wants to play for a discount as a role player. If he is coming here, it's likely to be the man again, and it's for the most money and years he can get. That's a hard sell if you don't think he makes you a championship contender, regardless of short term improvement. I think the Rockets are primarily a leverage play to get the contract he wants some where else, and a fall back plan if no one else is willing to give him the money and years he wants.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That wouldn't be that bad actually. Udoka has his work cut out for him developing the younglings. Harden for all his warts likely a bigger upgrade than ego.

Sniffing playoff contention would up their acceleration.

Now about that baggage...

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I am for Harden as a stabilizing precense on the offensive end that can direct traffic and set up easy looks for guys who have only experienced horrible structure and spacing.

I do not want Harden because of what he can do as a number one or even two option in the playoffs.

So if he accepts an amount equivalent to his role as a Mike Conley Jr type role then that's fine and I'm for it.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  15. J Rock

J Rock Member

I’d be happy to take him back on something like 4 years 25 to 30 mill per with a team option on the final year. I think with Ime here he will have a clear understanding of his role and be persuaded to play it. This would really make sense for the team if we get Wemby and we would also have money leftover to fill in some holes on the perimeter. Then we can use that Clipper pick on another defensive minded big with a jump shot.

16. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Problems in the locker room.
    Undermining the coaches.
    Quiting when things get tough.

I agree we don't need Harden, but are you really going with this ish while supporting your boy? Your trolling with a lighter looking for gas...

17. dmoneybangbang

Do we really want to play the Harden-centric offense with our guys standing around and playing off that?

I just don’t understand the thought process of “Harden is best PG out there, we need a PG, therefore….”

18. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

He will sign here.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I know you have a habit of running with your fantasies rather than staying grounded in reality, but there's literally no evidence that KPJ has been a locker room problem on this team, has undermined coaches, or quit when things got tough.

He's done exactly what his coaches have asked them to, has been the most consistently good player on a team nearly void of talent to help him when he's almost constantly double teamed all season, he's agreed to sit out games in order to help the FO....arguably there hasn't been a better guy on the team.

You don't see him yelling "GET HIS ASS OFF THE COURT" about teammates when they struggle...instead you see him personally taking blame for team struggles.

If he was Harden, he'd have demanded a trade or demanded roster and lineup changes for the last 2 seasons, he's done none of that.

I know that you're probably beyond help, but your delusions aren't going to get you anywhere. Reality will always end up slapping you in the end.

xiki likes this.
  20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

IMO - if JEHj were to ‘come home’ it would be either due to a MASSIVE OVERPAY or hiding from the pressure of delivering clutch, winning basketball.