1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most Comprehensive Jalen Sucks Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Landry's Tooth, May 11, 2023.

1. i3artow i3aller

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

OP and his pee wee hoops thread

[​IMG]

Bo6 and don grahamleone like this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If his goal is to be a primary scoring option on a contender him learning the bumps and bruises it takes to take on set half court defenses off the dribble with horrible spacing probably got him a lot of reps and muscle memory in how to navigate tight defenses off the dribble that other players his age hardly get to experience.

This is why he's going to be valuable in future playoff series. His ability to just make tough shots in traffic in tight games.

His development outside of being a primary scoring option is where the free nature had a negative impact. But joining the NBA in ultra hard mode has given him an experience and muscle memory of how to navigate tight defenses off the dribble that the vast majority of players his age never will get reps for.

#43 fchowd0311, May 11, 2023
    Last edited: May 11, 2023
  4. Landry's Tooth

Also, Green was the highest scoring player at home in the month of April when playing between 35 and 40 minutes against teams in the western conference in day games.

SamFisher likes this.
  5. Landry's Tooth

I don't disagree but the calculations is more complicated when averaging 2 years and it's less descriptive than breaking down the components.

Pros and cons...

6. Landry's Tooth

It's not March anymore... ;)

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. Landry's Tooth

So ignore 80% of the game... classic green fanboy...

DaDakota likes this.
  8. Landry's Tooth

I noticed you just ignored more than half the game of basketball.

9. Landry's Tooth

You want to combine 2 random years or ts%?

You complain about me giving him credit. Weird...

DaDakota likes this.
  10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That's also true.

11. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I hate that WE are always trying to be "Negative Nelly's" with our players!! :(

Green,Sengun,Bari and Tari are kids who by no fault of their own were dealt shi**y hands!! A crappy coach and a mandate to tank are going to warp any true indication of their TRUE potential and value to the team!! PLEASE allow them to play under a real coach and without the constraints of the tank strategy before labeling them with negative adjectives!! I will be surprise if three of the four don't make HUGE improvements this coming season! Then, and only then are these types of threads warranted!!

Go Rockets!!!

12. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

Tilman Fertitta is the chief sckr. leaves no space for any other sckrs ...

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Chowderhead - can't help himself and let any Green criticism go by without a personal insult at the guy posting about it.

Come on Chowderhead - Relax, Rocket's first bro !

DD

fattz likes this.
  14. Landry's Tooth

I'm being objective. Most of the other 11 players were put in similar situations.

If I'm negative it's the data that says so.

I said he's been ok as a scorerer... he's not one of the best but not one of the worst...

15. Landry's Tooth

For the record, Tari exceeded my expectations. I think Sengun has met them.

Jabari overall was a disappointment but shows signs he could be on track next year. We got the same with Green though and there wasn't significant progress so we'll have to see...

16. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

"Damn, I'm mystified - what an interesting thread."
    "Doesn't it merit a widely inclusive thread?"

Scarface likes this.
  17. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think it's quite as make or break as people think. Some good coaching could open his eyes and turn things around for him. Of that list, he's already better than Barrett, Mudiay and Coby White. He's close to Fultz, who has missed quite a bit of time in his short career. All of the rest, aside from Jamal Murray (who is a very good player), are All-Stars. Many of them multiple times over. He can still get there. All things considered, I think he is in fine company and is on the right trajectory.

I appreciate the look into those players whose draft position compares to his. I think it's a great way to evaluate where he is. I just feel like I drew a different conclusion than you did.

18. Landry's Tooth

Curious how people would rank the 11 peers Jalen has relative to him... granted hindsight on most.

I think a fair way of putting it would be if you could have the same production from Jalen as x player, would you be satisfied...

I've got:
    Ball(if healthy)
    Beal
    Doncic
    Edwards
    Irving

I think Murray could be close...

Definitely rather have Green than:
    Barrett
    Fultz
    Mudiay
    Russell
    White

So around middle of the pack is fair I think... he's closer to Dlo than Edwards in my opinion.... just on spot opinion without diving deeper.

19. Landry's Tooth

I think the scoring is a reasonable argument compared to the rest but the non-scoring stuff is concerning when he's last, 2nd to last or 3rd to last on a list with Mudiay, Fultz, White, and Russell...

I'm wanting to see how he responds with better coaching but habits are hard to break.

I think his floor is probably a Lou Williams role so that has some value. He just may never do enough else to warrant a starring role.

theDude likes this.
  20. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Even if he could assist the ball he would set himself apart. Obviously hes putting up shots, and hitting some 2's. He is the goto scorer, that's his main job, but wasnt KPJ not doing the same exact thing? Nothing else sets him apart from being a superstar, and probably is a 3rd tier scoring star in league. Maybe he can expand his game when he gets older???

HardenReturns likes this.