1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the EAST FINALS Game 2 as Tatum and the Celtics host Haliburton and the Pacers. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Austin 2020's] Where is party central in Austin these days?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, May 10, 2023.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Going in October of this year and want to get a hotel. Where's the best place for late night bars, clubs & after-hours spots? Still 6th? Where are the best places?

2. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I hear the lake is great late night.

3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

6th street if you want to get shot. Rainey St if you want to get roofied and dumped in the lake.

dmoneybangbang, IBTL and jo mama like this.
  4. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

tell me you havent been to austin in 20 years without telling me you havent been to austin in 20 years!

i keed...i keed.

if youre looking for clubs and after-hours spots then yes 6th street and probably more-so, rainey st. west 6th also has stuff going on over there for all the tech-bros and condo-people.

in terms of live music venues/bars/clubs, the biggest change in austin over the years is that things have dispersed and its not all downtown anymore. plenty of stuff to do on the east-side (east 6th or cesar chavez). good breweries all over town, manchaca and slaughter area has become a destination with a few cool places. st elmo area has some good breweries and drinking rooms.

i dont go downtown much at all anymore and as a musician, i turn down gigs at downtown clubs...just too much hassle and stress. im not a full-time musician so i dont need money that bad!

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

AUSTIN’S HOTTEST CLUB IS SWEET SASSY MOLLASSEY. Promoter Madalyn Murray O’Hair has gone all out. This place has everything. Demons. Snorks. Frank Stallone. Shaving cream balloons. And the fat green cartoon guy with the weird comb over from the Cricket ads.

dmoneybangbang, Deckard, Pole and 6 others like this.
  6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Depends what weekend you come in October. Austin City Limits is going on the 1st and 2nd weekend of October. I think the lineup is pretty blah again, but it should still be packed.

Bars would either be west 6th, Rainey Street, east 6th Austin bars (not dirty 6th but actually across I-35 on the east side). Avoid dirty 6th like the plague.

mtbrays, Sajan and Xerobull like this.
  7. Xerobull

Laughed hard.

[​IMG]

Funny you say that, because it has been 20 years.

Thanks, guys. Avoid Dirty 6th. Got it. I'm a grown man and don't really enjoy college kid shenanigans, although I always find it fascinating to watch people interact.

I'll be there the last weekend in October (right before Halloween) for an EDM festival. Meaning I won't hit the clubs/whatever until close to midnight and will probably want to get into some after-hours clubs after that. Chances are my group will want to keep the EDM vibe going. Any suggestions?

Is this guide accurate? https://lostinaustin.org/eight-best-places-to-party-in-austin/

MadMax and jo mama like this.
  8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you want to keep an EDM vibe going, it might be worth looking at the bills for specific clubs the weekend you're in town. Barbarella and Cheer Up Charlie's on Red River might be what you're looking for. If you want general party atmosphere, Rainey Street and West 6th are what you want. Dirty is just Bourbon Street these days so know that going in.

The east side is full of great hipster and punk bars, but that's probably not what you're looking for.

Xerobull likes this.
  9. Sajan

Sajan Member

if someone says 6th street and austin as a bar/club recommendation...
    either they are out of touch / haven't been to austin..
    or they like trash partying. like burbon street.

if someone says rainey street, these days they are a techbro/douchebag. the initial concept was cool back in 2010. small houses turned into bars.

the last few times i was in austin, i stayed away from both areas. hung out it in east 6th (other side of 35). gentrification YAWH! MURICA.

#9 Sajan, May 11, 2023
    Last edited: May 11, 2023
    dmoneybangbang, mtbrays and Xerobull like this.
  10. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, East Sixth is the place to go. However, Rainey is what I'd say is more of a "party" spot due to the atmosphere.

Sajan likes this.
  11. Xerobull

Nice, thanks. I like all types of music, but yes, on this particular weekend, EDM is the way.

I assumed the entertainment stuff had expanded and matured due to the massive growth of Austin. It's not just college kids anymore.

Funny you mentioned the techbros and their house bars. During the last crypto bull cycle, I was invited to several techbro mixers in Austin and while I didn't look at the addresses the pictures of the bars were all small and some of the patio setups looked like little back yards.

Mardi Gras style partying is sort of fun for me still but not what I'm looking for on this trip.

Sajan likes this.
  12. Sajan

Sajan Member

Whatever you do, get some breakfast tacos from Veracruz. (get the El Tradicional)
    Address: 2505 Webberville Rd, Austin, TX 78702

Xerobull likes this.
  13. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

there are multiple veracruz spots

Xerobull likes this.
  14. Sajan

Sajan Member

I know which is why I specified the one I went to....didn't want to vouch for other locations.

15. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Went to Rainey St last fall for a bachelor party. First time in Austin since like 2012.

It was okay. Most of the clubs we went to had that "table and bottle service" vibe, or was just people standing around in a backyard/patio.

Barbarella was my favorite spot back then. Show up, knock back some shots and dance all night. Not sure if its still the same.

From my experience, the table and bottle service clubs tend to host the most EDM afterparties though. Probably because of the venue size. But I'd just check with the festival/artists and see what's up.

Xerobull likes this.
  16. Xerobull

Hearing about Concourse and Kingdom. Any feedback?

17. MadMax

Austin’s hottest club is OOOOMMMFFFF. The product of the collaboration of the minds of Ricky Schroder and Hasbulla, this place has EVERYTHING! Ponies. Plastic tarps. Spuds McKenzie. And a bowling enema station. That’s the thing where you straddle the hole where the bowling ball gets returned to you.

studogg, dmoneybangbang and Xerobull like this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Max, I'm just waiting to hear where Roman J. Israel, Esq is hanging out these days.

dmoneybangbang, MadMax and Xerobull like this.
  19. MadMax

He’s my boss. I can hook you up if you need

Xerobull likes this.
  20. dmoneybangbang

South Austin is pretty cool and chill…. Maybe not a EDM vibe though. South Lamar… South Congress…