1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chicago locals not happy about bussed immigrant housing plan

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Kim, May 7, 2023.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Oh there are lots of Hispanics in the Midwest. There are a lot of Hispanics in Chicago and in Illinois. However, bussing in immigrants is another situation - especially with Chicago putting them in the middle of black neighborhoods- and I think black people asking why they are in Lawndale and not the white areas of town is a fair question to ask.

I have lived in Texas and Chicago and it is hard for me to have a lot of empathy for conservative Texans and politicians when they mock and deride the situation in Chicago and offer no empathy or support. It is often a political game to them.

There are times and in some rural areas in Illinois where some cheap labor would be welcomed by corporations - but there is a fair amount of xenophobia in a lot of the Midwest too.

ROCKSS and Xopher like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Chicago is complicated. Yes I am involved in Garfield Park and other parts of Chicago. The worst part of Chicago is worse than anywhere in the USA - if you are black. I can walk around and am left alone because they know I am not a police officer and because I am white, they don’t shoot white people.

Having said that, 90% of Chicago is the safest city in the USA and one of the safest in the world, on par with Scandinavian countries.

As far as Chicago throwing a fit over 5,000 immigrants - the people in Chicago are not throwing a fit. It is primarily black activists that don’t want limited resources spent on people not from Chicago and black people that live where they intend to move the immigrants… which is just a disaster waiting to happen, moving Hispanic people into a neighborhood that is literally 99% black and has rival gangs on every block.

Having said that, why should Chicago take immigrants bussed from Texas? Again, I don’t see Texas concerned about the issues in Chicago.

The issue needs to be dealt with at a national level. If Texas and Florida want to keep sending immigrants to places in the Midwest, it isn’t going to help them politically. Purple states, even bordering states will hold it against Republicans. People in the Midwest do not see the issue like people in the Red border states do.

Briefly, the problems in Chicago are based on a city having almost no black people, suddenly having to massive waves of black people moving into the city for jobs in manufacturing. Because all the black people came in waves, they lived in the same areas of town. The white and immigrants in Chicago did everything possible to keep black people segregated. When the manufacturers closed up, black people were laid off and many became unemployed and dependent on social services, which opened up massive housing developments that would not give benefits to families with men in the homes… and then drugs and corruption spilled in… broken families… and street gangs that were the strongest in the US… so people like me, federal prosecutors came in and with the police arrested the leaders and charged them with murder and drug distribution… and charged the black Panthers… and then did the same to the next 2 generations… to the point where there are literally almost no black men between 30-55 in these neighborhoods… they all are dead, serving life in prison and moved away… and it is almost a genocide.. which I played a part in - because the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

#82 Nook, May 8, 2023
    Last edited: May 8, 2023
  3. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

Not to sidetrack you here. I lived in the Chicago suburbs for a few years. You are absolutely correct 95% of Chicagoland is safe. In other news, we got a Portillos here in DFW a few months ago!

Nook and ROCKSS like this.
  4. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I agree that Texas sending migrants to Chicago is PR crap and Chicago shouldn't take the brunt, but Texas shouldn't take the brunt of 1 million migrant releases either, and we're getting that. I'm not blaming the Biden administration solely for this. Push factors like cartels, coyotes, and economic collapse of certain latin countries are driving this. Biden is deporting people in record numbers, and it's still leaving a mess. Astros123 is correct that there are a lack of immigration judges (thanks, republicans), but that's not the only factor. There's a lack of federal detention centers. There's a lack of resources for CBP and a lack of resources for non-profits. There also is the fact that many migrants just skip out on court and live undocumented, because surprise, it's better to live in the US rather than a failed state where you have to sell you own supplies just to survive. Not everyone who crosses meets asylum requirements.

So it's not like Chicago should bear the burden of southern migration, but they're just getting a taste. The feds should control this and states should evenly get it, or follow that labor shortage map. And prior to even getting that American burden, why should only the USA bear the burden of collapsed governments? The Trump admin was racist jingoist crap, I get it. But the argument of all the other nations where migrants passed through and did not ask for asylum is unfair - that logic has grounding for me. So it makes sense for Biden to strike a deal with Mexico, Canada, and Spain (and hopefully more in the future) to ease the burden of poor people in failed latin states seeking asylum. And even if you don't qualify for asylum, I would add at least guest-worker pathways with some legal status in the US because we need the labor (in certain parts) and it sucks to live in the shadows.

I really hope Chicago can fix itself and that migrants entering there won't be destructive for anyone. I have no idea what the best path is though, short of massive constitutional violations like systematically removing all guns, drugs, and people who show violence. We'd have to tear up the 4th and 5th amendment to get it done. By the way, Houston is not that far behind in some neighborhoods. We're well on our way to S. Africa or parts of Brazil style crime and inequality.

5. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Similar # to the number of babies born each day.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes there is a lot of xenophobia especially in rural areas of the Midwest. It seems to have gotten worse in the last 10 years.

Since you mentioned black migration to Chicago from the South a lot of the Black community in Minnesota is from people who left Chicago and Detroit looking for new opportunities in Minnesota. My business partner’s father came from Detroit when he was young and his grandparents came from the Carolinas to Detroit.

Nook likes this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think everyone agrees that there are big problems with the immigration system and that it is underfunded. Where there are disagreements on are what are the priorities.

As you’re acknowledging what Abbott and DeSantis are doing are just stunts and aren’t solving the problem. Yes Texas has a problem. The solution isn’t just to bus immigrants it’s to work with the Federal government and other states to get funding and help resettling.

This is another example of Abbott more interested in rhetoric and stunts than he is in actually solving problems.

Nook likes this.
  8. astros123

astros123 Member

Biden is issuing a rule today that will allow expedited deportations for 95% of cases. None of these "apprehensions" are coming into the country. There's a monthly quota allowable migrants into the country and they have to come through the app in Mexico or colombia.

9. astros123

astros123 Member

When you see right wing trolls fear mongering about the upcoming end of title 42 and claim were being invaded just remember these right wing trolls are lying. 99% of people applying at the border will be denied right away nd deported the same day.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

It's why Trump won Ohio and Wisconsin in 2016. Trump won running on vilifying Hispanic immigrants.

I did some work in rural Iowa and Minnesota a couple of years ago. I didn't see a lot of Hispanics. I understand Chicago IA a different animal.

I don't know how many conservative voters in the Midwest by into the vilification but jobs are a real concern. My attitude is if GM can't hire Hispanics they will just move the plant to Mexico. They already did 50 years ago.

It blows my mind how many people fight globalization Globalization started a long time ago. If you're fighting it you already lost more than likely before you were born

Nook likes this.
  11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Multiple things can be true at the same time. The conservatives give Biden litte credit for doing hundreds of thousands of more Title 42 deportations than Trump, but instead blame him. Liberals give little credit to Biden's expansive use of executive orders to increase asylum pathways after the ending of Title 42.

Yes, 99% or close to that just get deported, with many of the same returning and then getting deported again. The new system will track them better and create a deterrent so that people who try multiple times will be penalized (I forgot the penaly, smh). The problem over the last few years is that the push factors have been so much (failed states, crime, coyotes) that even with record deportations, we have accopanying record releases. One million released into the US under Biden. 600,000 released with no court dates, and the burden left to the migrant. Regardless of the ultimate asylum decision (some will get approved, many will not, most will skip court), the scale of those numbers is absolutely a shock to any local or state government. It shouldn't be all to Texas and the feds should disperse that. Republican states will say they only hurt our economies, even though many Republican states need the labor. The feds really should coordinate a national bussing program to places that need the labor, because the labor shortage is real.

The administration itself is reporting these released migrant numbers:
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/im...s-crossed-border-released-inside-us-rcna68687
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/06/us/politics/asylum-biden-administration.html

Nook likes this.
  12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@rocketsjudoka
    You saying the Mexican food isn’t good in
    Minnesota ?!
    How is that possible

13. Nook

Nook Member

Wait a minute…. 27,000 people apprehended and 1 felon… one firearm and 3 sex offenders? That is it… out of 27,000 people? I thought these were all gang members and murderers.

Kim, Ottomaton and astros123 like this.
  14. astros123

astros123 Member

He forgets to mention all 27k were deported

15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you grabbed 27k random people off the street anywhere in the USA i guarantee you'd get much more than 1 felon, 3 sex offenders and 1 gun.

Nook likes this.
  16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Would the bad guys line up to get processed or take the road less traveled?

Nook likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

My guess is they would get a prime time slot on Fox News, I heard Rupert dumped a bad guy not long ago and needs a replacement.

18. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Like I stated, the Biden admin gets no credit from the conservatives for deporting many times more than the Trump admin in pure numbers. That stated, the push factors like failed economies and gangs have overwhelmed the migration routes to where 1 million migrants have been released into the US, over 600k without having court dates set yet. They are mostly decent people looking for a better life, and some truly running from like war, but they shouldn't all be in Texas. They should the temporary solution to the labor shortage states instead of employing kids.

Astrodome likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

Texas and the states taking the brunt of the immigrants need to push harder for a solution at the national level. The politicians in power, in Texas really don’t want a solution though because busses and round ups are winning political issues.

20. astros123

astros123 Member

Kim, we have the lowest unemployment rate in texan history right now. The USA unemployment rate is 3.4 which is the lowest its been since lbj was POTUS. Workforce participation for prime age adults is at historic highs. 2 million more jobs have been added right now than at any point in 2019.

We'll be okay.