1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another day another mass shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Nov 8, 2018.

1. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

by "hostile gun reform" do you mean letting the assault weapons ban expire? or going from concealed carry with a permit to anyone being able to open carry with no permit? or allowing 18 year olds to buy AR-15's? or letting people legally walk the streets with an assault weapon? or NOT enacting laws to keep people with mental illness from purchasing weapons?

there are not any relevant politicians i can think of who openly talk about gun bans and gun confiscations. there are lots of them talking about common sense reform that the vast majority of the american people support.

this seems to be a common refrain from right wing gun extremists...any talk of sensible gun legislation that the vast majority of the country supports = theyre coming to take our guns.

ROCKSS likes this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Banning and confiscation is hostile gun reform. This is not my debate position but an observation from the gun community. Its an incredibly stupid position to take. There is no formal definition of 'assault weapon'. The rifles defined under the the assault weapon ban of '94 could still be purchased in legal configurations that are just as deadly as the rifles banned. Essentially you would need to ban ALL semi-automatic rifles, not just scary looking 'assault weapons' and regardless of what you may think, this is not a popular take in this country. And then you would need to CONFINSCATE as the amount of semi-automatic rifles on the streets are incredible, and that is even a less popular take.

Then you compare the number of victims between all rifles and handguns, rifles are just a fraction of the death, making the banning of rifles near pointless. Its not going to reduce mass shootings. It will only give a different weapon of choice.

People with mental illnesses are not allowed to posses weapons as it is. Enforcing and regulating is a HIPPA nightmare.

Age restrictions and public carry is something I believe can make headway, but its hard to do when the only thing politicians want to talk about is 'bAn AsSaUlt WeApOnS'. Why do we continue to allow private gun owners to sell unlimited weapons and not enforcing dealer restrictions? Why do we continue to not hold gun owners responsible for their negligence? Why do we continue to let gun manufacturer make unlimited weapons? We do we continue to let anyone open up a gun store anywhere?

And before you go all @astros123 on me calling me some childish nonsensical names, understand I believe any gun owner who transfers any semi-automatic weapon on public ways should have some form of registration that displays their understanding of gun laws and gun safety else the weapon should be locked in a difficult to access safety case.

4. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

If only we had less regulations grade school kids could carry their own AR-15's to defend themselves and use their battlefield trauma training on the bodies of their enemies.

Am I doing it right @StupidMoniker

Andre0087 likes this.
  5. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

So we’ve gone from worries about school shootings to worry about any public place.

And from inner city, bad area gun violence to accidentally enter the wrong driveway, car, front door, yard, etc in seemingly safe rural and suburban areas.

This is only going to get worse. We already don’t know and trust our neighbors. Now we’re terrified of chasing a basketball into their yard.

Paranoia and violence is just going to perpetuate into more paranoia and violence.

Buckle up.

Andre0087 likes this.
  6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

What you really mean here is ever since the NRA and GOP started a propaganda campaign about "THE Big Bad Government Taking Muh Guns."

Because the facts do not line up with your statement that there has have actually been laws and regulations passed to ban, and confiscate guns. You cannot seriously be that stupid to believe what is a blatant lie. In the past 30 years we've went from a nation where assault weapons were literally banned to having more guns than people. Yes some STATES have stepped in where the federal government has failed, but the GOP has preached states rights anyways so no "Conservatives" really should be complaining.

Either way, you are lying blatantly, and it's easy fact checkable.

However if you want to backtrack and explain that what you really meant to say is that there has been a propaganda campaign to push that narrative for 30 years.... yeah... I'll agree to that. Funny you've said nothing about that fact, and how the promotion of paranoia has done more than anything to flood our society with more weapons than we've ever had before, and has recently led to a string of mass shootings that are partially motivated by the propaganda.

Andre0087 likes this.
  7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

To fact check the town troll :

There were 8 Federal firearm laws passed before 94.

Since 94 there have been FOUR laws passed. Two of which weren't really about the guns, and more about officers, and manufacturers.

Meanwhile.....

[​IMG]

Not only is SpaceGhost lying (because more legislation was passed before the last 30 years), the need for legislation OBVIOUSLY has DRAMATICALLY increased.

Of course there should be more legislation and laws when an crime skyrockets like the crime of mass shootings have.

Just utter stupidity and/or blatant bad faith trolling.

Andre0087 likes this.
  8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If I were to lists the stupid and unnecessary ways soldiers have died since the revolutionary war I would be here til the end of the American empire.

As long as humans have access to any weapon that can kill, people will die. Children will die. I’d rather take that responsibility on myself over trusting someone else’s capacity and intelligence.

9. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

First-aid training is a good idea for everyone, yes. Defending yourself is also a good idea for everyone, yes.

10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I almost started crying because the moment I saw the picture I knew it was the man in the video laying next to the younger kid with his brain splattered. I don't understand how individuals can be so desensitized by these violent acts. Those clips we watched, lawmakers should be forced to watch them in an executive session. I don't know where we go from here, because it's the same circular bullshit. Out of sight, out of mind I suppose.

ROCKSS and Andre0087 like this.
  11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Stop being woke! @tinman

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Stop the war on guns! NRA4EVA!!!

@Space Ghost

dobro1229 likes this.
  13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Sorry...did you just suggest my 11-yr old daughter and 13-yr old son should be carrying AR-15s to school?

VooDooPope likes this.
  14. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

If they want and you have parented them well. People used to take guns to school all the time. In many states, it was not at all unusual to have trucks in the parking lot with guns in gun racks. Why, do you think your children would shoot up the school if they did?

15. edwardc

edwardc Member

16. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Greg Abbott would love nothing more. The NRA would reward him.

HillBoy, ROCKSS and Sweet Lou 4 2 like this.
  17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Definitely requiring school children to take first aid training will be very helpful the next time a heavily armed intruder opens up fire in their classroom and blows away a fellow students face...

18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

How idiotic.
    We have age restriction for kids from drinking gambling and voting but hey its fine if u educate them enough, they can handle a weapon that can easily end folks life.

With that logic they can drink gamble and vote if u educate them well and if they want to.

Conservatives argue that kids arent mature, at the age even if they want to undergo gender transition surgery but hey if we educated kids well enough they can carry guns like it's the wild wild west.

Mental gymnastics by some folks on here rival boobythegreat

ROCKSS, deb4rockets and Andre0087 like this.
  19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

You say all politicians talk about is banning and confiscation. This is just not true.

In response to Sandy Hook: Manchin-Toomey Amendment was a bi-partisan piece of legislation that would require background checks on most private party firearm sales, sponsored by Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin and Republican Sen. Pat Toomey. It was defeated 54-46. Needed 60 votes to pass.

A more recent example: https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/8. Passed the House. Zero chance in the senate with the 60 votes requirements.

Read list for all of the failed attempts at legislation to address gun violence: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/08/us/politics/gun-control-timeline.html

You see, gun reform legislation has been extremely reasonable and has very high level of support, but it goes no where. If something as simple as a universal background check with consistent 80-90% public support can't become law, there is really not much hope of any legislation (likely to not have as much public support) to reduce gun violence. Instead, what we are seeing is a trend from the GOP to make it easier to own guns and to use guns at the state level. It's no surprise that we keep seeing an increase in gun violence, a direct result of GOP gun policies.

deb4rockets and Andre0087 like this.
  20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

If they want and if I have parented them well? So now you're questioning my parenting because I don't want my kids carrying an AR15 to school? I never said my kids would shoot up anything if they did. I'm questioning the insane stupidity of children walking around with AR15s. I'm questioning the absolutely brain dead idea that children should be doing so in grade school and that thinking otherwise is the bad parenting. I'm concerned that you might have children and that CPS might need to be called. My hope is you're just trolling and think, weirdly, that this is all funny.

Were you hit over the head with a frying pan? Eat too many paint chips? What in the f*** is wrong with you?

People also used to be fine with segregation. People used to be fine with lead paint. People used to be fine with a lot of s*** that clearly isn't fine. Just because "people used to" is not a reason to do much of anything as f***ing idiotic as having grade school children walking around with guns.