1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another day another mass shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

that child is going to need some serious mental help after going through that trauma, and I hope they get it

Ubiquitin and AroundTheWorld like this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I'm curious if you could tell me what 'pro 2A' means? Are you against any 2A restrictions or in favor of some of them? Did that video change your stance?

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

there isn't much of any mental health in the US, esp in TX

i wish there was universal mental health

As Gov. Abbott places shooting blame on mental health, what has Texas done to address it? - ABC News

The governor has diverted money away from agencies in Texas that oversee mental health programs and recent reports have found Texas is the worst state in the nation when it comes to providing access to mental health care, they say.

In April, Abbott announced he would be moving nearly $500 million from state agencies to fund Operation Lone Star, a Texas-Mexico border security initiative jointly being conducted by the Texas Department of Public Safety and the Texas Military Department.

Of that amount, $210.7 million was from Texas Health & Human Services, which oversees public mental health programs.

Buck Turgidson and Andre0087 like this.
  4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

wheels goes back to deflecting to California again...

5. NewRoxFan

Texas' gun death rate is way higher than California's...
    Fact Check: Is Texas' Gun Death Rate 67% Higher Than California?
    https://www.newsweek.com/fact-check-texas-california-gun-death-rate-gavin-newsom-1777839

But wheels isn't even telling the truth when you look at the total number of gun deaths...

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/gun-deaths-by-state

Latest CDC numbers (unfortunately, from 2021):
    https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/firearm_mortality/firearm.htm

Andre0087 likes this.
  6. NewRoxFan

The fox talking head tries to deflect attention to "the board", but...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...mental-health-issue-cut-state-spend-rcna30557

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

it’s pathetic that this is the case, and mental health is one of their go-to talking points when discussing mass shootings and gun deaths

but nobody holds Greg Abbott’s feet to the fire regarding this…Uvalde happened, and Greg Abbott still ended up later winning that county by over 30 points

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  8. NewRoxFan

And of course, you have mtg... surprised wheels hasn't reported on the immigration status of the people killed at the mall...

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

im against any law that bans guns. Unless you remove them from police use as well I will not support Police having access to weapons civilians can’t. I’ve changed my stance in the idea of making it harder to obtain guns though. Rigorous background checks, red flag laws, waiting periods, etc.

B-Bob and Amiga like this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Assault weapons were illegal and mass shooting went down, now legal and they go up. Not a coincidence.

And it isn’t that we need Jesus, Japan is less than 1% Christian and has strict gun laws and has had zero mass shootings in the last 10 years.

It is the ****ing guns.

DD

Ubiquitin likes this.
  11. NewRoxFan

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think even when it hits their voters or even themselves are they willing to change. The worse mass shooting was the Las Vegas shooting. That was a Jason Aldean concert and most of those fans were Republican leaning. In 2017 the House GOP caucus was shot up at a softball practice with whip Steve Scalise seriously injured. Even then Scalise hasn’t changed his mind.

The saying, “the definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and expecting different results” is used a lot recently but here it applies. With the current GOP even when they themselves are targets they can’t seem to think in any other way but that the answer to mass shootings is to instead make it easier for more people to arm themselves. This is why they throw out “thoughts and prayers” and “an armed society is a polite society” as those are solutions.

13. Newlin

Newlin Member

Are you in favor of the military having access to weapons civilians can’t?

14. Buck Turgidson

nvm...misread the post I was responding to

15. NewRoxFan

Not only do I want the military troops to be better equipped with more firepower than civilians (tanks, cannons, bazookas, stinger missiles). I also want law enforcement to be better armed... who wants to see police officers with pistols shooting it out with criminals with assault rifles?

TheFreak likes this.
  16. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Nope. Realistically it’s not possible anyway at least not for the average American. If you look at how much the cost of equipping one solider you’d realize that only millionaires could afford it.

18. Frank_Duhon

Frank_Duhon Member

You want civilians to own the same type of weapons that LEO have access to? Even though LEO go through training and continuing education/certification for those weapons? Even though LEO have to go through training in how to handle situations and diffusing situations?

19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Hey gun nuts a compromise. You can keep any gun customarily hunt animals. Those used to kill humans will be banned and bought back at fair market value.

I suppose you wish to return to the sam ol same ol.
    Prayers
    talk of mental illness social media habits, gaming, movies music,
    Media "if it bleeds it leads" grieving relatives etc. which boost for profit media
    Ignorant pseudo intellectual blathering about the 2nd Amendment.
    Using it as a weapon to win elections for the GOP
    No discussion of the total monetary costs of our gun policy.

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Former conservative Supreme Court Chief Justice

[​IMG]