1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This is getting interesting!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Iron McFist, Jun 1, 2001.

1. Iron McFist

Iron McFist Member

Alright! It's getting closer! I was prepared to switch to the Disney Channel!

What does everybody else think of this charge by the Sixers right now?

------------------

2. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

They won't win this game but Sunday will definitely be Iverson. I seriously have a deeper respect for him. Wow, he was awesome in the fourth quarter. I love the Sixers. Sure, they're a scrappy team with one primary scoring option, but they've got heart. And I'm serious. The Bucks...they would have a better chance in the finals, but I sure hope it's Iverson and the Sixers. 46 points. Wow. You can't deny what a valient effort that was

------------------
    "They couldn't shoot, rebound, or pass, but other than that, they played great!"

-Bill Walton

3. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

4. finalsbound

True, true.

------------------
    "They couldn't shoot, rebound, or pass, but other than that, they played great!"

-Bill Walton

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Iverson is MVP for a reason.

Yes he was-- due to the media's continuing bias to the Sixers. Duncan, Shaq, Kobe, Webber, McGrady, and possibly others would've all been better choices.

------------------
    President of the Mo Taylor and Jason Collier fan club!

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

6. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Oh, of course- Duncan should have been MVP. Right. He did a great job didn't he. He managed to lead the team to the best record, only to be swept by an average margin of 22 points per game. That is MVP material.

------------------
    The Protrolls.com message boards!

Protrolls.com!

And his ghost can be heard as you pass by that billabong: "All I did was steal a bloody sheep!"

7. The Cat

Oh, of course- Duncan should have been MVP. Right. He did a great job didn't he. He managed to lead the team to the best record, only to be swept by an average margin of 22 points per game. That is MVP material.

Two things:

1. MVP has nothing to do with the playoffs... it is regular season only.

2. Duncan has no control over his teammates or the way they perform. He can't win 1 on 5.

------------------

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

8. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Yeah, he proved that in game 3.

Duncan was MVP in 99, not this year.

------------------

Protrolls.com!

And his ghost can be heard as you pass by that billabong: "All I did was steal a bloody sheep!"

9. The Cat

Yeah, he proved that in game 3.

Again, if his teammates would've stepped it up, esp. the perimeter players the way they had during the regular season and the first two rounds of the playoffs, he would not have had the Lakers all over him, double and triple teaming him, etc. You try to play a game when your teammates are inept and the other team is focusing on you alone. You'll struggle, no matter how good you are.

------------------

10. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

1. Iverson is the heart of the Sixers. Shaq and Kobe are equally important to the Lakers (or if not 50-50, at least 60-40). Last time I checked, they don't give out co-MVPs very often. Also, the Sixers finished #1 in the East whereas the Lakers only finished #4 in their Conference.

2. The Sixers had a better record than the Magic or the Kings. That has a lot to do with the MVP award.

3. Duncan you could make a case for. However, Duncan started off really slow this season. It wasn't until the second half that he started to turn it on. Iverson, on the other hand, has been playing high quality ball all season long.

I think Iverson deserved the MVP award.

------------------
    All hail Fadeaway's Cyberfish -- your 2000-2001 BobFinn* Fantasy Basketball League Champions!

11. finalsbound

The Cat,
    but many times Horry was guarding him straight up! Duncan WAS NOT the best player for the Spurs in all four games; whenever he was off Robinson was on and whenever he was on Robinson was off. Don't forget, Robinson was an All-Star too and he's also extremely important.

------------------

-Bill Walton

12. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Well, actually the Lakers finished 2nd, with an exact same record as the 76ers.

------------------
    This space currently being renovated. We apologize for the inconvenience.

13. KD

KD Member

Sure, MVP voting has nothing to do with playoffs. But certainly everyone who voted hopes that their votes don't become a form a sacarsm as in 95's Robinson-Hakeen matchup.
    Call me biased, but I think Iverson put the whole Spurs teams to shame last night, fighting back from 30 points down in the 4th quarter. Spurs gave up in most of the mid-3rd quarters in their games against Lakers.

------------------

14. The Cat

Call me biased, but I think Iverson put the whole Spurs teams to shame last night, fighting back from 30 points down in the 4th quarter.

It's a little easier to come back from 30 down when you're playing an average defensive team like Milwaukee, while SA had to play an excellent defensive club in the Lakers.

------------------

15. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

The Spurs couldn't even make a run when they were facing the mighty defense of Tyron Lue and Mark Madsen.

------------------

Protrolls.com!

16. The Cat

Because the Spurs were playing guys like Shawnelle Scott against those two. In the blowouts, Phil allowed Shaq and Kobe to stay in longer than Pop allowed Tim and David to stay, so they never got to play against any softer defenders.

------------------

17. KD

KD Member

As Hakeem put it in 94 playoff against the Suns who put "Choke City" label on Rockets: "I think the first 2 games we lost, is a blessing in disguise. It pulled the whole team together".

Duncan did not go through what most finals MVP have gone through: years of frustration and fight-back-from-behind experience. The Spurs went 15-2 in 99 which made them thought they were a great team. They never went through, as Drexler put it, "a true test of character". Looking at them giving up in game 3, and so-called sportsmanship in singing praises to the Lakers, it actually makes me miss Larry Bird and Detroit Bad Boys.

The Bunny rabbit in Space Jam probably faced the toughest defense mankind has ever seen, yet they fought back. [​IMG]

------------------