1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans will win the AFC South

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by thegary, May 1, 2023.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't really see Clowney wanting to return to Houston, he didn't exactly have the best time here. On top of that he still hasn't been able to stay healthy.

Now that said, if he's healthy, he'd instantly make the defense better.....so I guess why not?

red5rocket likes this.
  2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

It’s the NFL so it’s possible need a lot of things to go right though.

Need Green, Stingley, Stroud, and Anderson to stay healthy and play above average.

Need the OL to be solid and give Stroud time for all those short passes for Schultz, Tank, Metchie, etc. I think we see a lot of let the guy catch in space and make a move.

Need the D to step up. They’ve added some pieces but not huge playmakers except Anderson. Pitre needs to not lead the league in missed tackles.

My vote is 6-7 wins and Jags win the division.

3. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

It’s a new regime so hopefully that could play a factor but I agree. Clowney would help most in run defense.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

6-8 wins is a reasonable projection but isn't a division winning record which is what this thread was about.

Also, all of the veteran signings individually look like good veteran fits for the roster. However, there is a reason teams don't build that way, signing a bunch of veterans to 1 year deals that are looking to "prove it." They aren't all going to work out. Injuries or washedness.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

6. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I was thinking about that… will I be upset and disappointed if our pick sucks and is before the browns? Yes. Will make the trade way worse..

but god damn am I tired after 2 seasons of literally not caring. I’m excited to care and hope for wins. Even if I get disappointed. It was so sad hoping for losses and still ending up disappointed by the end of the season because we WON a game.

I guess what I’m saying is I would rather be upset we lost too many than won too many.

Rockets FTW likes this.
  7. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I didn’t say it would be a division winning record and I see what the title is about but saying our secondary will be one of the worst in the league, I completely disagree with. That was my point.

I didn’t say all the veterans would work. I see most veterans on those one year deals as someone to help change the culture. Bettering the culture alone can win games.

With injuries, you want me to bring that up in every discussion? Such and such team has an over/under of 10.5 games…BUT INJURIES THOUGH…..no I’m not doing that. We know injuries happen and could derail a season.

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm really hoping Demeco and his coaching staff help with this. Most of the missed tackles I saw by Pitre are of the discipline type. Meaning he just layed his shoulder into a guy and expected him to go down and didn't bother to try and wrap up. Maybe that worked 98% of the time in college but the NFL guys are bigger and more elusive. You have got to stick to the fundamentals and be disciplined in your form. Demeco strikes me as the kind of guy that would absolutely insist on that. Hopefully Pitre listens.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'm not gonna go so far as so say they win the division, but betting the over on the 5.5 win total feels like a good play.

texans1095, Astrodome and red5rocket like this.
  10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

That desperation... I fear it played too big a role in this decision. I'm excited, too, because Stroud and Anderson give you hope. And if they're both very good, it certainly lessens the impact of the trade.

But... this team is nowhere near being a Will Anderson away from being competitive, and on no planet is Will Anderson, alone, better than 1.12 + 2.33 + 1.'24. What's built into my frustration is the fact Caserio has, essentially, done nothing for two years (he has not acquired a single player that would rank among the top 10-15 at their position*), and then decided he was going to correct that in one night, nuking the draft capital he'd been smartly building - draft capital that was *essential* to this rebuild. Now, the team has two very good players - and virtually the same mostly barren roster around them.

Caserio is so, so bad at his job, and the Cardinals absolutely looted us.

(* Pierce is likely top 10. But as I've been saying over & over this offseason: RB is the least essential position in a rebuild.)

tierre_brown likes this.
  11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Caserio made the right choice.

Will Anderson is the best defensive prospect in this years draft as well as next years.

He gave up next year's first to move from 12-3.

Also worth noting the high second round pick from this year in a draft in which it was considered to have a smaller than normal amount of players with first round grades.

Pretty overrated pick at 33 after they came back in the 2nd to get Scruggs and grab Tank Dell who they clearly had a higher grade on then most.

If they got their guys, then good for them.

What's the point of having excess draft capital if you don't use it to get quality players?

red5rocket and houstonstime like this.
  12. showa13

showa13 Member

Draft capital and draft picks, forever the most overrated and over valued assets in the eyes of fans

13. tmacfor35

Depends how you look at it.

Rams were able to win a SB based on draft capital.

Now Rams are screwed because of no draft capital.

Miami Dolphins were able to become relevant based on draft capital.

I think its quite important.

14. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Not sure what part of that is desperation.. I am not desperate for anything. I’m tired of rooting for my team to lose. There will always, ALWAYS be ppl who decide you pay to much, want to hoard all picks and money. Every player is too expensive, every trade is bad.. goodness.
    We needed a QB and an Edge. We got the literal #2 and #1 at both those positions. We got the #1 coaching candidate. We added talent at almost every position of need.
    AND
    we still have a FULL draft of picks and 135 mil next year. Good God, it’s impossible to make some of y’all happy. Always doom and gloom. Will I be disappointed this year? Maybe. But I’m at least excited to actually root for my team… to win.

TheFreak, deb4rockets and red5rocket like this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's a bold take, if Anderson and Stroud end up being franchise pieces this take will be mocked for a decade.

Casario paid market value for the pick given that the trade was actually for the Stroud selection. You want to trade up for a QB in the top 3, you pay a hefty price for it because a franchise QB is well worth it.

Adding a franchise caliber QB, a dominant leader in defense, competent coaching, and 2 elusive first down machine type receivers to what the team had last year can go a REALLY long way towards turning things around.

I think you might end up surprised just how competitive this team might be this season.

16. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

What are you talking about? Rams have both won and lost due to zero draft capital.. they traded everything for Goff. Didn’t have a first round pick for YEARS as they traded all their picks for elite players. Then they won a Super Bowl and now everyone is too expensive and they still lack picks. Was it worth it? Yep. But don’t act like them using an early pick on Goff won them a Super Bowl.

17. showa13

showa13 Member

True, it’s more so how you use it than anything. I’m just not handcuffed to the notion that trading some capital to get the guy you want is ‘desperation’ and I don’t think that using your capital in one motion to try to get better is a bad thing.

I also think this roster isn’t bad enough to have a high draft pick next year like the media and a good amount of fans think

red5rocket likes this.
  18. tmacfor35

I am mentioning the fact that draft capital was super important in these scenarios. I don't really think that is debatable.

Also,

to the posters point he made after my response. if you are blowing picks... then capital isn't as much a factor for your specific scenario. There really is no wrong or right answer.

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The Texans are a bad team & their roster lacks even intermediate talent (in large part because they've been giving draft picks away for years). I'm not sure adding a *second* top 5 prospect - at the expense of adding three top ~30 prospects - including likely two top 10 prospects - is a price they should be paying right now.

I get the swing and it's exciting in a vacuum. But, again, one of the reasons we're having this debate is because this franchise has treated the draft like some afterthought rather than prioritizing it as a means to build greater quality and depth.

20. tmacfor35

Disagree.

Edge's in the first top 10 have historically busted far less.

You are just assuming every pick will end up being a "good" player.

Quality is more important than quantity.

houstonstime and red5rocket like this.