1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'm excited about Ime and the upcoming season, but...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Apr 26, 2023.

1. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

Possible that he was annoyed to be there, but it was just a room of about 10 season ticket holders with no media and he was a bit defensive right from the get-go.

Mathloom likes this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Plow, for the first time in an eon I am optimistic about this, my, team moving forward.

fattz, topfive, Aruba77 and 2 others like this.
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Meh . . . look for issues and you will find something

let go and let STONE IME

Relax
    SPLASH!!!!

[​IMG]

Rocket River

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You could definitely be right man.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The big Boss Fertitty was there at the podium.

7. ksny15

ksny15 Member

What exactly has Stone hit out of the park? This team has been a bottom feeder under him. He's botched trades and held onto coaches and players for to long. The team has been zero to minimal improvement year over year and player development is severely lacking. There was nothing to point to this season and say hey Houston is a team to watch moving forward. No player really made any type of significant leap. A lot of that has to do with Stone and Silas. He knocked it out of the part with the Ime hire but he was been everything but a hoke runner hitter with the rest.

8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are you not aware we've been in tanking mode the last three years? This was the plan.

topfive and Verbal Christ like this.
  9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm excited too, Brother!

xiki, daywalker02 and topfive like this.
  10. topfive

topfive CF OG

Actually, in the doctorate program, they do.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would have preferred if they deviated slightly from that plan and won more games.

Plowman likes this.
  12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I would have preferred if they deviated slightly from that plan and developed their ‘kids’. (fify)

Plowman and daywalker02 like this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

[​IMG]

I've got to say, though, the reaction to the hiring of Udoka has been so over-the-top delirious*, especially compared with the Silas and McHale hirings, and even the MDA hiring. Everybody is already convinced that he can work miracles to whip these young guys into NBA studs that will shut up the Bill Simmons of the world, maybe regain media respect for the franchise, and get us back to being one of the top teams. I can't help wonder how many of these same people are going to flip at the first few cracks in the armor. Let's say he doesn't play Sengun enough, or dumps Abdelfattah in favor of Damon Stoudamire, or gets into some guy's face one too many times and players start to push back... Those kinds of things can and might actually happen. It would be a profound miracle if there's smooth sailing all the way from here.

*If you can set aside his abysmal off-court behavior in Boston, of course.

xiki, BaselineFade and YOLO like this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you must be a University of Texas at Austin man

The University of Texas at Austin
    Department of Memeology

https://jeffw.xyz/~wang/memeology.html

oz-scarecrow.gif

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

think Doc Rivers with his ‘Big 3’, think Cs and their in season turn-a-round: sometimes the voice resonates perfectly. Then think Doc since, Thibs before Knixies, Malone before Nugs: sometimes the voice rasps wrong.

The really good coaches coach their guys well and sustain it.

The point is a coach’ ability to retain positive results long term. I believe Ime is that kind of coach.

topfive and BaselineFade like this.
  16. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

It took Boston half a year to rid themselves of bad habits with a young but much more mature team. Ime was the coach I wanted but I'm not expecting some fast miracle transformation. I think it will take time for the players and fans to adjust. We just have to trust that he is the right guy for this job and ride it out. I'm hoping that by the mid point of next season they will be locked in on their assignments and start to play decent basketball. If he offends a few fans in the process so be it.

Mathloom likes this.
  17. Caesar

Caesar Member

I'd much rather see our young guys continue to develop even if they never win it all together. Post Rockets prime Harden has now failed with KD and Kyrie and if Harden comes here, it's because he failed with the MVP Embiid in his own prime. Who can we possibly get that will be better than all those players that we would have to give up all our young players for? Just Jaylen Brown after giving up what? Harden, Brown and some 3+D vets ain't winning anything.

I'm more than happy to welcome Harden back if he wants to play with the young bucks and lead them(that includes the draft pick), but if he's coming back intent on retrieving his previous power-he can stay in Fish Town.

I'm more than happy to pursue a guy like Brown or Bridges and other vets if we drop out of the top 2 picks.

Any realistic scenario where we trade Jalen, Jabari and Alpi for some bought 2 year window? Well..i'll watch, but it won't be as sweet as it would be if we win with homegrown players. I COULD live with it if Wemby is here for the next 2 decades. I'd be pissed, but i'd accept it.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  18. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

You realize we were trying to be bottom feeders right? That’s what tanking means. Also, player development has nothing to do with the GM. That is all on coaching.

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think bro the mistake you're making is that you think Stone should be doing what you want, but in reality his "grade" is based in whether he did what Tilman wants. Tilman wanted to tank and he discussed it in detail in the press conference.

If he was told to tank, there's no one in NBA history that tanked more successfully for picks and obviously that would result in more bad habits for players than usual. However that sacrifice is made so that we can be in our current position by 2023 instead of 2025.

It was always obvious we're tanking, the only people who didn't know it till the end of season 3 of tanking was ESPN Houston for some reason. Maybe you were listening to those guys treat the seasons as though we're trying to win and play our best players and getting the vets we believe will help us win. None of that was going on, we were just trying to keep these players as motivated as possible under raining L's.

#59 Mathloom, Apr 27, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
    topfive and Plowman like this.
  20. sydmill

sydmill Member

I hope that the development of Green, Sengun, Smith, Eason and the incoming rooks remains the top priority for the team. I think bringing in complimentary vets and organic growth from those guys will not only lead to wins but be the best way to build towards the heights that Fertitta purports to want to reach. Continue to take some lumps next season but win enough to be playing meaningful games into the last days of the seasons at worst. Much like OKC this year. Season after try for home court and then youre cooking.