1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you want as our first pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by deb4rockets, Apr 25, 2023.

?

Who do you want as our first pick?

1. Bryce Young

2. Will Anderson

3. CJ Stroud

4. Tyree Wilson

5. Tyree Wison

6. Anthony Richardson

7. Will Levis

8. None of the above

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why would Indy trade up if they want Levis?

2. Jayded

Jayded Member

Jalen Carter. Read what the scouts are saying about him being a generational talent. I especially like it if we can slide down some and still get him.

Not a year to go QB, but Carter is the most talented defender so if we’re going defense, let’s not mess it up again this year in getting cute.

Pbev99 and Red.Glare like this.
  3. Agmaniacmike

Agmaniacmike Member

We don't know for sure which QB they want but there is no guarantee that they will be there at 4. Cardinals are also shopping their pick, and I believe are much more likely to move down to the 6-15 range than the Texans are. Trade back scenarios are tough, because there has to be a team that wants to trade up and is willing to give up something of value. I think the Colts are clearly going QB, so they seem like a prime candidate.

4. Agmaniacmike

Agmaniacmike Member

I like the idea, but just haven't seen all that much linking the Texans to Carter.

5. Ancient Moabite

Which would more than likely make this a Caserio type move, if the QB they want is off the board(or not in draft) then the best way is to build the trenches and take best defender for your defense minded HC, Carter or Anderson fits that bill

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Bryce Young
    Anthony Richardson
    CJ Stroud

Trade down and then:
    Will Levis
    Will Anderson
    Tyree Wilson

In that order.

I believe we'll end up with Tyree Wilson and Hendon Hooker, because I believe the Texans will typically end up worst case scenario, and that is worst case scenario, in my opinion. Hope I'm wrong.

Pbev99 likes this.
  7. CallMeTheDream

Trade back. Get an extra 2 & 4. Wilson at 7, Flowers at 12, Gibbs at 33, TE or C at 38. You have the rest of the draft to go defense & take a flier on late round qb. How people could expect a rookie QB to do anything with this current offense is beyond me. Wasting #2 on a raw, mystery box qb, with no current weapons on the roster is a recipe for disaster. We will be in the same position next year

8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It would backfire if Anderson and Wilson get picked up before 7 and we end up missing out on two of the best defensive prospects available. With our defense I'd be sick if that happened. What if we miss out on Carter as well? All 3 could go before #7 with our luck.

CallMeTheDream likes this.
  9. Agmaniacmike

Agmaniacmike Member

I don't know what the trade calciulators would say, but I want more than a 2 and 4 if we're going from 2 to 7. At least a 1st next year and a top 100 pick this year.

Dropping from 1 to 9 brought the Bears: DJ Moore, #61, 2024 1st, and 2025 2nd

10. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

If it's not Bryce, I want CJ and if it's not either of those two, I want Will Anderson.

red5rocket likes this.
  11. Jayded

Jayded Member

Here's a trade calculator if anyone's curious : https://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php

In short, our #2 this year is considered 2600 points. If we were to trade with the Colts and slide to 4 (1800 points), they'd still owe us 800 points (equivalent to the round 1 21st pick this year). If we moved to 7 with the Raiders (1500 points), they'd still owe us 1100 points (equivalent to the round 1 14th pick this year).

Typically, teams will treat a future pick as a round less than this year (ex. 1st round pick next year is treated as a 2nd round pick in value this year). So If a trade in-year with equivalent value would be something like these scenarios:

Seahawks get : 2024 1st round, pick #2
    Texans get : 2024 1st round picks #5 & #20.

OR

Colts get : 2024 1st round, pick #2
    Texans get : 2024 1st round, pick #4 + 2023 2nd + 2024 1st

OR

Colts get: 2024 1st round, pick #2
    Texans get : 2024 1st round, pick #4 + 2024 1st + 2024 2nd + 2024 3rd

OR

Colts get: 2024 1st round, pick #2
    Texans get : 2024 1st round, pick #4 + 2024 1st + (player deemed worthy of 2nd & 3rd round pick)

Dredd likes this.
  12. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Davis Mills again? Cmon man. Might as well start Keenum.

#32 TEXNIFICENT, Apr 26, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
  13. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jalen Carter.

Wattafan and Pbev99 like this.
  14. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

Anybody but CJ Stroud. His test scores really worry me and I don't see him being successful outside of the system he excelled in at Ohio. Just roll the dice with AR, it's worth the risk, we're not close to competing anyway. And the possibility of wasting one high pick this year is better than giving up three 1st rounds picks in an attempt to move up next year. If not AR, then play it safe with Williams.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  15. Caesar

Caesar Member

Someone start a race war. I need some entertainment until tomorrow.

Snow Villiers and Dredd like this.
  16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

So you want to lose 13 or 14 games next year? Hell if the Texans were smart , they would have lost the last game and picked 1st this year. Who knows, they’d probably screw it up again next year. I still can’t believe they passed on Sauce Gardner for Stingley last year.

17. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

We could easily lose 13-14 games next year no matter who we draft. This is the Texans we're talking about after all. Our only saving grace this time around is DeMeco. Agreed on Gardner, it should've been a no brainer.