1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trae Young Trades

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Dec 9, 2022.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

I would rather trade for Trae Young than Jaylen Brown. He is younger (no pun intended) and fits better.

However, if the price is too high, I would pass. Hard "no" on trading away a top 3 pick in this draft class. Only maybe on one of our top prospects (Green, Jabari, Sengun) depending on what else is involved in the trade. More than one of those guys is again a hard "no" for me.

Ideally, if you get him you'd send lesser assets (Eason, KJ, KPJ, etc), the Clippers pick, and future picks, and hold onto our young core + our top pick. I don't know if that gets the deal done, though.

ramotadab likes this.
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Sorry but even before tonight, this is a risible offer for Trae young. A bunch of mostly replacement level guys and the 20th pick?

Oh man.. i know we're homers here but.. man. Don't know if the deal gets done? Trust me, i know if that deal gets done, lol.

Sluball3 and theDude like this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

4. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trae Young bidding will start at 4 FRPs. Donovan Mitchell brought back decent players, 3 unprotected firsts and 2 pick swaps. And Young is better than Mitchell.

5. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Trae Young is not better than Mitchell. Also, what is the market for Young? Give me 3 teams that can and would realistically put together an offer for him that would make them contenders. Trae is not winning basketball and I think teams see that.

Corrosion likes this.
  6. SamFisher

7. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

That's just it. People see highlights and think it proves a point. He had a nice game and won a first round game on the road. Cool. I'm talking long term, winning basketball which is what we all want.

Make it or not, that's a horrendous shot selection that winning teams don't take. And don't give me the "but he makes it". He's a 33% 3 point shooter, is an absolute liability on defense and averages over 4 turnovers a game.

Building around Trae means we become the Hawks and can just get used to first and second round exits.

GotGame15 and majicdonjuan like this.
  8. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

9. SamFisher

First and second round exits - Man that would be terrible, much better to be the worst team in the league for 3 years with the tacit superiority of not having settled for non winning basketball.

When i watched the Rockets live in front of me struggle to beat a literal G league quality Wizards (Capitol City Go-Go) lineup a few Sundays ago, I was like "damn, so glad these guys are poised for 'long term winning basketball' - it makes it all worth it"

Fortunately my eyes did not have to endure the specter of an all NBA guard like Trae Young when he's at peak level - it would have been horrifying to watch, the shot selection! Lol.

Sluball3 likes this.
  10. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

Meh. Being the Utah Jazz and being good enough to just make the playoffs but never win anything ain't it. Trae Young puts the Rockets in that position. Hard pass. I'd rather suck for another year and potentially create a contender as opposed to early playoff exits being the Rockets ceiling for the next 5-7 years.

BamBam and Lurch like this.
  11. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

If you're trying to right the culture of the team, you need to be looking at sending out bad attitudes not bringing them in. Doubt Udoka wants to trade for a dude who runs off coaches.

#151 Believe It!, Apr 25, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
    Lurch likes this.
  12. OremLK

OremLK Member

That's not the deal I suggested though. I also included future picks, by which I meant including Brooklyn picks; the one next year has a strong chance at being in the lottery, for example.

13. SamFisher

"Meh, this 96 point rated Napa Valley Cab is good enough, but I'm going to wait till i get my hands on the 1985 Chateau Lafite-Rotschilde, " says area man, who has spent the last 3 years drinking boxed Kirkland Signature Cab.

14. SamFisher

That's still just not even remotely close to being close.

I swear to god its going to be 2027 and people here will be like "this is the year Brooklyn picks become valuable i just know it..!"

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

Brooklyn was below .500 this season after they traded away their stars. It's entirely reasonable to expect next season's pick to be pretty good at this point. Harder to project for the future ones, but their stock has to be up at least a bit as well. Something like 3-4 FRPs plus a couple of unproven first-round prospects would be pretty close to the going rate for a guy like Trae Young.

Now with all of that said, I do expect Brooklyn would ask for at least one of Green/Sengun/Smith. And maybe it would be worth parting with one, like I said. Certainly not two of those guys, however.

16. SamFisher

It's kind of funny to think of the Rockets putting out the message of rebooting around cultural change and personal accountability when they just hired a guy who uh, had uh - some issues, with that - 7 whole months ago.

17. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

18. SamFisher

Thus far the Brooklyn picks have given us the value of

Unused swap
    Tari Eason
    Unused swap

2 more picks, 2 more swaps remain - if they are even used.

That's simply not that much, because even the current Nets are tiers above the lowly Rockets.

Not nearly enough to land an all star, let alone all nba level player

19. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I will never, for the life or me, comprehend why we wanted Oladipo as part of that deal. That was supposed to be our "solid player" part of the return.

SamFisher likes this.
  20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Do Not Want.

Chucker.

Bad At Defense.

Lurch likes this.