1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets to interview Ime Udoka on Wednesday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Apr 17, 2023.

1. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

Of all the coaches mentioned, only two generate good expectations for me, Ime Udoka and Nick Nurse. The rest of the possible candidates is walking a path of mediocrity that we already know.
    Obviously, any one of them is absolutely better than Silas.

Bo6, DeBeards, PeterKingX and 5 others like this.
  2. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Vogel is a defensive minded coach. I’m not sure he could co-exist with the roster here as it is currently constructed. Lord knows they could definitely use the coaching, but I’m having trouble envisioning the fit with the young core.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Vogel won his championship in the mickey mouse bubble tournament. If he was that good he would still b coaching the Lakers, hard pass if it was between him and ime.

4. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Vogel sucks compare to Udoka. Dude is average at best.

AroundTheWorld and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

I think it will be Vogel too… he is the Saltgrass Steakhouse of coaches… I’m sure Tilly loves him some Vogel.

6. Nook

Nook Member

You may still see Borrego as an associate head coach with the Rockets next year.

KingSamJack and OremLK like this.
  7. CXbby

CXbby Member

Udoka is a coach capable of molding the franchise to his own vision/culture. Vogel is a coach that's going to rise and fall based on the talent on the team and just not get in the way. So of course Stone is going to choose Vogel to keep his own ass safe.

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

That's awesome. He'd be a great pickup. I like Borrego and I could see him eventually taking the reins as HC even if he's not the guy this year.

Nook likes this.
  9. Jags

Jags Member

This is the outcome when a GM is making decisions with his job on the line. Seems like Stone is avoiding risk at all costs and going with the safest HC.

Also, have they learned nothing from the Banchero leak during last year’s draft? Leaking Vogel is the front-runner with a bunch of interviews still lined up is as unprofessional as it gets.

10. DreamR

DreamR Member

Stone and Tillman Jr afraid Udoka gonna steal their girl. Best to hire a safe guy like Vogal who has no game.

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Seriously, doesn't it depend on which guy will take the lowest salary??

Like, all the other questions are for show, right?

I'm sure that's how it worked out last time around.

slothy420 and PeterKingX like this.
  12. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Exactly

13. Ancient Moabite

Well since Tilman had a 5+ billion$ bid that fell thru he should be able to pay any of those coaches top dollar if necessary

Imanimal and DeBeards like this.
  14. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

LMAO
    [​IMG]
    @sirjesse
    BWT, reported...

sirjesse and kjayp like this.
  15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

He was borrowing that money anyway

16. JW86

JW86 Member

Nothing's going to happen, I mean why in the world do people on twitter make it seem like we're in a rush to sign a coach?! Vogel would be so underwhelming....ugh...give me Mahmoud Abdelfattah instead.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. Ancient Moabite

Well if he was borrowing 5+ billion, then I Am quite sure he can borrow 20-40 million$ to get the coach the team desperately needs

18. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Great news will break out Tomorow!!! Get ready!

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

That's funny, you must be used to debating with some kids or something. Happy to let everyone watch you weasel out of it. Thanks for the least genuine chat ever lol

20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

We're 99.9% on the same page man. I don't think it's impossible he's grown from it. My concern is if he has not it would be a major issue, and it sounds like you'd be concerned too if he hasn't learned anything from it. Not knowing whether he's grown from it is not something I would like the organization to ignore, but that's such a subjective line I'm drawing in the sand. I don't think he and Stone would click either judging by the tiny bit I know about his family culture.

It just seems like a lot of hoping for a guy who has 1 great season and is one of the least experienced HC's on our shortlist. It's an odd situation because he basically had a rookie HC season that's second tier great historically (there are a few who have won it all in their first season) and comes from a great coaching tree. However from everything you're telling me he's been who he is for a long long time so a lot hinges on something we have no idea about: did this traumatic experience change him or entrench it more?

I hope that his relationship is over and he doesn't have custody of his kid, that would make things a lot safer for us because if he's just dating and having a good time it can't pose any risk for us as long as it's consensual and he adheres to team policy. The fact that he's destroyed his family so sensationally within a family entertainment business is just.... can't describe it as anything but a dumb decision. Kind of like the anti Lebron.

As an archetype, he strikes me as someone who will always be thirsty for attention. The good news is I know that one of the only ways that ever changes is through traumatic experiences, so here's hoping something fell back into place in his head. We're talking about it like we are sure to sign him and I think the likelihood is really low because if he loves attention he'll want revenge and he won't be able to make a deep playoff run with us as soon as he would with some of the veteran HC positions that will open up after the playoffs.

I'm also very happy that he even interviewed with us, that in itself is going to make others more likely to consider the role. I would love to hire a mentally improved Udoka, I'm not exaggerating when I say I was touting him as a future star HC in 2015 then several times again before he got the Celtics job. I know his talent level and his assistant coaching experience is elite.

I really really really really really want a grown up with credibility who has his **** together and knows how to turn kids into men and who eat/sleeps/dreams basketball strategy. Is that so much to ask? Wish it wasn't this complicated.

#360 Mathloom, Apr 20, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
    Nook, Verbal Christ and Gimmmethemike like this.