1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another day another mass shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Nov 8, 2018.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

btw, stronger background checks have consistently polled between 80-90% in favor for years.

2. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Can you change the thread title to Another day another 1.5 mass shootings or is it more mass shootings?

3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Republicans could decrease mass shootings if they passed a bill that says mass shootings have to be at least 10 people died or more. That would significantly decrease the total number year by year.

glynch and JuanValdez like this.
  6. astros123

astros123 Member

Insanity. When MAGA talks about grooming this is what those losers mean

7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

How can we satisfy the gun cultists and the profitable industry manufacturing the guns never used for hunting animals just humans. Maybe give them perfect non killing replicas of AR 15's and large clipnhandguns that they can stroke to their hearts content , go to gun shows and openly carry with them at all times? Perhaps also free access to a satellite channel devoted to movies in which a couple of teens or ordinary working guys and their friends fend off invasions by N Koreans, Iranians, Chinese ,Russians,Mexicans, or even the United States Army.

8. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Microsoft Word - appendix.docx (nejm.org)
    Those are not the people driving those numbers. The actual stat is for people 1-19 (which is an absurd age range to look at, the numbers are going to be much different for a 3-year-old than a 17-year-old), and the firearm deaths are predominantly homicides followed by suicides, not accidents. This isn't an issue of 5-year-olds accidentally shooting themselves because the US is too gun crazy. It is teenage (13-19) gang members shooting each other over street crime. The firearm death rate for this age cohort is more 3 times higher in the black community (at about 16/100,000) than any other racial or ethnic group (native Americans are the next highest rate at just over 5/100,000). It is also overwhelmingly males and not females. In other words, while the statistic is true, the pictures they chose to present with the stats are misleading at best. It is an attempt to manipulate people.

This is more representative:
    Crips member, 13, shot dead in NYC during escalating 'war' was trying to leave the gang | Daily Mail Online

9. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

All you ever bring up is blacks and guns or gangs and guns. Guns need to go. Period! I don't care about your stupid percentages of which race kills more people with guns. It's the GOP doing their best to keep guns on the streets, lower the age limits, remove the restrictions, and cater to their big donor the NRA. The laws need changed. Enough is enough. You and the NRA coddling GOP politicians are the problem. You refuse to see the big picture, all in your stupid outdated 2nd Amendment horn tooting. We live in a different world now, and guns are a huge problem. They are in in the hands of far too many irresponsible people, criminals, mentally ill, hot heads, cand dumbass parents who don't give a rats ass about anything but themselves, and are too lazy or irresponsible to keep their guns out of the hands of their kids who have no business with a weapon, and especially some AR-15 or pistol.

#3069 deb4rockets, Apr 18, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2023
    mdrowe00 likes this.
  10. StupidMoniker

I bring it up because that's where the problem is. If guns were the problem, the NRA members with 80 guns would be killing 20 people a year each. They don't really kill anyone (at least not in any significant numbers, I'm sure you can find some redneck with an arsenal that killed someone). The blood or the crip or the Norteno or the Hell's Angel is the person dropping bodies. Of course you don't care about percentages. Percentages actually mean something and you would have to recognize that the problem isn't the NRA members with 20 AR-15s, it is the bangers with one Glock or Polymer 80. That goes against your talking points. That is a problem that involves putting cops on the streets in bad neighborhoods and criminals behind bars instead of just fantasies about overturning the 2nd Amendment.

You can pretend that the problem is kids getting an AR-15 from their irresponsible parent or the mentally ill, but it isn't. Those are the stories the media tells you. The real story is that every city has a few neighborhoods that a very small percentage of the population runs as gangs. They sell drugs, they sell sex, they rob and steal, and they kill each other and innocent bystanders.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you think toddlers should be given firearms?

12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Guns shouldn't b banned, but there needs to b more gun control laws. How many more needs to die before we actually do something instead of just thoughts and prayers.

Republicans refuse to push out gun control laws, does not like investing in education and mental health. What is their actual solution to preventing mass shooters?
    Sending flowers with their thoughts and prayers?

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

You are full of it dude. Your BS disgusts me. You can put that head in the sand all you want like the other GOP racists and liars. You can pretend all the white men are good all you want. You can pretend we don't have white kids and teens shooting up a bunch of other kids in schools all you want. You act like white men aren't shooting and killing their spouses, shooting cops, or shooting up a bunch of innocent people for fun or because they are full of right wing hate, or mentally unstable.

You know damn well guns are a big problem, and it's easy to compare to other countries. You point out gangs and blacks but avoid my point. I've seen far more than enough stats to know that other western world countries are much safer without the stupid ass loose gun laws we have. I'll never agree we are safer with millions of guns on the streets.

#3073 deb4rockets, Apr 18, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2023
  14. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

You are full of it dude. Your BS disgusts me. You can put that head in the sand all you want like the other GOP racists and liars. You can pretend all the white men are good all you want. You can pretend we don't have white kids and teens shooting up a bunch of other kids in schools all you want. I've seen far more than enough stats to know that other western world countries are much safer without the stupid ass loose gun laws we have. I question any man who thinks AR-15s in the hands of non gang members is safe. What utter BS. Nobody needs a weapon to kill mass people quickly. It's absolutely irresponsible government to allow it, especially as the mass shootings escalate and escalate.

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Man between children being exposed to cross dressers and children being exposed to firearms as being a cool machismo thing I don't know which one is more damaging for society;)

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Build a pipeline of armed citizens, starting at a very early age.

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Cross dressers. They don't shoot others to defend themselves.

18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Wild wild west sht. Folks with guns shooting it out.

Republicans never think about the aftermath of this stupid idea. What happen if an innocent unarmed bystander gets hit in the crossfire and is killed? Gonna blame that on the shooter and not the role playin soldier?

Lawsuit waiting to happen

19. StupidMoniker

Toddlers like a 2 year old? That might be too early for them to physically operate a gun. I first learned to shoot when I was about 8 I think at summer camp, but my family wasn't a gun family. I have friends who learned much earlier. I would say the sweet spot to start a kid is around 5 or 6. Start them on maybe a paintball gun or even a rubber band gun, then move up to a BB gun. Then a .22 rifle (preferably bolt action). Then a .22 pistol. Then eventually move on to higher calibers. That way they learn safety at a young age, know what to do if they see a gun, etc.
    We do have a few white men killing their spouses or white kids/teens shooting up schools, but those are not the groups that push our homicide rates out of whack with other countries. I can't find the numbers for this year from the CDC, but here is the numbers from 1999-2015: QuickStats: Age-Adjusted Rates for Homicides, by Race/Ethnicity— United States, 1999–2015 | MMWR (cdc.gov)
    Non-Hispanic white is 2.6 per 100,000. For comparison, that is the same as New Zealand. It isn't that all the white men are good, or whatever other straw man you want to argue against, it is that we have allowed criminal street gangs to run wild in urban centers, and those groups happen to be largely black and Hispanic. The vast majority of black and Hispanic people are good and don't commit any crimes (as it true of all races). Most people don't kill anyone, no matter how many guns they own. I'm sorry the facts bother you.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It'd be a lot easier to address the supply of guns to gangbangers if some limits on second amendment rights were allowed. The gun nuts who geek out at NRA gun shows are essentially providing regulatory cover for gangs who use violence to ply their trades.

Amiga, Nook and thegary like this.