1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Kevin Porter Jr. Rocket's Point Guard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Apr 6, 2023.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

With that in mind, as a rule of thumb you should probably try to construct deals that hurt you.

I wouldn't trade for Brown without an extension in place, but if he for whatever reason did want to be in Houston and is agreeing to an extension, we will be sending premium assets, could be our 2023 HOU first (if it doesn't land #1) could involve Smith, Sengun, Eason, multiple BKN firsts. You don't get 26 year old all stars without pain.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Exactly, and good orgs take chances.

DD

3. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Can you imagine a starting lineup of;

PG - KPJ
    SG - GREEN
    SF - BROWN
    PF - SMITH
    C - FA?

I think if a trade was made it would have to involve Sengun, KMJ, plus our #1 this yr #3 - #7 and a future #1.

If you look at Boston's roster Sengun and KMJ will fit fine.

4. vince

vince Member

I am rather intrigued by what the Rockets are building. I’d be disappointed if the Rocket trade Sengune, Eason, a top 3 pick, multiple 1st round picks, etc for Brown.

I mean what did the Rockets expect when the team’s average age for key rotation players was probably younger than the NCAA Houston Cougars?

topfive, AroundTheWorld and Plowman like this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

No I didn't meat all of those things, but definitely some.

6. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Well if your drafting a point guard then maybe Kpj might be out the door. His contract is pretty good i hear and might be attractive to another club.

7. DaDakota

Or he slides into his natural SG slot as a more efficient cheaper option.

DD

fattz and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Which is exactly why we shouldn't, and won't, trade for Brown. It would require a ridiculous haul and we wouldn't have a team left to build around him.

anthony59237, vince and pippendagimp like this.
  9. DaDakota

You don't know that..at all...

DD

10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Garbage can pg. We are doomed if we run it back with headhoncho leading this offense next season

anthony59237 and Crashlanded19 like this.
  11. MystikArkitect

The KPj at PG experiment ended the minute the season ended. I'd imagine this team knows they need to get rid of him for multiple reasons and they've plumped up his value plenty. It's win/win for everyone. Maybe not the team that gets him but who knows.

anthony59237, pippendagimp and OremLK like this.
  12. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Running this when they know they're looking for a PG is a joke. The fact they have to bring up maturity issues and only sight Silas's quote is again, laughable. I mean, what's he gonna say???

LMFAO

anthony59237 likes this.
  13. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with aelliott.

It’s hard to read too much into player performance because Porter is such a warped point guard and the Rockets somehow managed to play the year without even a real backup.

I think Devin Booker is a reasonable comp for Jalen Green, and I still think he’s on that trajectory. He was an inefficient chucker until he got to start playing with Chris Paul. I don’t see Booker as a top 3-5 player, but he can be top 15-20 — that’s where I could see Green reaching if he continues to develop.

Smith is hard from an advanced stats perspective — his shot selection was sub-optimal, but I pin a lot of that on coaching and point guard play. His ability to make difficult mid range shots is something that could be defining for him. Defining Smith is tricky because I think he’s actually the rare player who is better in the post season due to defensive intensity plus his degree of difficulty shot making ability. I though Smith held up in the interior even better than I expected. He’s not a superstar piece, but can complement anyone.

Sengun’ s playmaking is fun. For me, the defining part of his upside will be his 3 point shot making — if he’s a knockdown spot up shooter, that increases his offensive versatility by a lot. The defensive concerns are real and worrisome, but I think they can at least be better schemed out in the regular season than they have to date.

Eason will be in the league for 10+ years, but I think he was one of the few rookies used right under Christopher. Mainly because he’s a magnet for loose balls.

Porter would be fine as a scoring focal point off the bench, but not a good leader. Not advanced stats, but not sure I’ve seen a player in the league with worse body language than Porter. It goes back to leadership, and he’s not that guy. I think he could be a great 6th man if he’d embrace it.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Eason never got the chance Green, KPJ and Jabari were given from the get go.

I do not see it either unless he is starting on a new team, they just view him as a defender and offensive rebounder here.

He is not going to get decent usage rate on the Rockets. He might need a bigger role.

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

You lost me at KPJ.

16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think Nook has been very good at relaying information about the Rocket locker room. He has stated that KPJ’s locker room presence and overall attitude has continued to be disruptive. He not only think’s he is the head honcho he is acting like a Diva. I have been a proponent of giving him a couple of year’s to straighten out, but if Nook is right, it is time to cut bait with a trade. At the very least, he should be coming off the bench in a 3 guard rotation with a veteran PG like Harden or Conley.

Arnel, AroundTheWorld and Believe It! like this.
  17. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

100%. And a big thanks to @Nook for the regular info. Unfortunately, not sure any teams would want to take him with the reputation he has garnered along the way. Maybe as trade filler or a team wanting to tank. It's frustrating. He's got plenty of talent. Just too much MEntal's between the ears.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  18. DaDakota

KPJ if we keep him does need a QUALITY veteran leader to help him and the rest of the team mature.

DD

19. Le$$

Le$$ Member

It's just like the tmac trade.

Francis = Green
    Mobley = Kpj

To get brown you would have to trade both.
    But I have felling Wemby could be the next Yao like draft, but instead of china it's France. Rockets would
    more likely keep Sengun for his skill set that seems hard to find in this NBA.

So If your trading for SG you going to have to say bye to green lol. Plain and simple.

I have feeling Brown trade will happen if they draft Wemby but won't if they don't.

Kpj to me seems to be odd player out thou which seems like everyone thinks here, because the rockets are taking a pg in the draft per reports.

20. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

KPJ is more like Francis, honestly if he played more like Mobley we wouldn't have a problem.