1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets trade for Jaylen Brown?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, Apr 12, 2023.

?

Jaylen Brown?

1. Yes

75 vote(s)
    33.0%
  2. No

152 vote(s)
    67.0%
  1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Im not as quick on the draw. I really like Brown. I wanted Harden to be traded to Boston for him a few years back, but Im torn on giving up Jalen when he could turn out to be better than Brown in their primes. It will hinge on the "win now" expectations on the new coach. I think you need to hire the coach first before you start to shake up the roster.

Kevooooo likes this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think that is fair.....but I will always trade a "Maybe" for a :"Sure" thing.

While I like Green we have his skillset covered already with KPJ - same thing the other way around.....so for me, adding Brown at SF is a massive upgrade.

We could still go out and get Harden and now you have.

Harden
    KPJ
    Brown
    Sengun
    Bari

GO TO WAR b****ES!!!!

If the Celts would take KPJ - that would be great too - but with his history he is just going to be an undervalued asset for a few years until the incidents are years in his past, so we will get value out of his that is well beyond his contract for the next 3 years.

DD

Verbal Christ likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

"With his history".

Maybe don't keep the players that other teams would immediately say no to because of "history ".

If the only way to get Brown is trading Green, ask why much more competent franchise would be willing to do that trade.

Just like how many MLB team should second guess trading a pitcher to the Astros if the Astros are inquiring about them.

It's a catch 22. The Celtics will be reluctant to trade Brown so be hesitant to any demands Celtics are asking for. If the only way they will bite on the trade is by trading Green, ask why.

4. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I think your last point is spot on.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  5. DaDakota

KPJ's history is just a fact, it is why we have him on a below market contract - great for us - plenty of edgy players have had success in the league, let's take advantage of getting his talent at 50% market cost...

The Celtics asking for Green and a high pick for a star player like Brown is normal - Green is developing nicely, he is probably going to at least reach Brown status in a couple of years....so of course they ask for him....that is the tradeoff - you trade a player that is developing nicely and you get a better player who is young right now - it is not a knock on Green it is about getting better today - nothing more....no one hates Green - some of us just think we can use him as an ASSET to make the team better overall....he and KPJ are redundant pieces.

DD

6. fchowd0311

Ya and if the only way the Celtics trade Brown here is with Green included, I'm asking myself why that's the case. That's the basic intellectual curiosity any GM should have.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Because they want you as a fan and they know you would follow him wherever he goes.

8. DaDakota

You know why? Because Green has a potential huge upside, that is the risk the Rockets and Celtics must weigh....

There are no guarantees Green gets there, but signs are good, so you either trade him now for a star player or you wait.....I would trade him now for a sure thing in Brown....you would not.....the org will do whatever they want and won't even consider what you or I think.

DD

9. fchowd0311

You want to be the Knicks? This is how you become the Knicks.

10. DaDakota

No, i want to be the bold team that traded maybes for James Harden....you know the Rockets.....

DD

11. fchowd0311

You aren't bold if your goal is to get some short term wins and some play in spots rather than commit to a rebuild.

If your goal is the former, that's how you become the Knicks.

12. Raven

Raven Member

Trading away Green, Jabari, or Eason is r****ded. Need to see what type of players they develop into with a new coach and a real point guard. If our next pick falls out of the top three, I'm not even sure we should trade it, either. Not every guy you draft needs to be an all star. The only two moves the Rockets need to make to show a huge jump in improvement is a new coach and acquiring a solid point guard with available cap space. Hell, if the Rockets draft Scoot then really the only big change necessary is a new (yet proven) head coach.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  13. fchowd0311

It's amazing that people are discussing who's "untouchable" for a borderline top 20 player who has worse tunnel vision at 26 than our 21 year old scoring guard who's criticized for his tunnel vision.

14. DaDakota

26 years old is not short term - FFS people.

This is how ROSTER building works, you draft, you trade, stop worrying about your particular favorite, he might be traded, ANYONE could be - as Tillman wants to get better NOW - so relax and enjoy the ride.

The team's goal is to get better now - and that doesn't mean mediocrity this is PHASE 2 get over watching 19 year olds suck...we are now into the build a winner mode.

DD

Y2JT likes this.
  15. OremLK

OremLK Member

You're skipping a phase, DD.

Phase 1 - Tear down, be bad on purpose, collect young prospects and picks. You're right that we just finished this phase.

Phase 2 - Develop the young players you acquired, become competitive, maybe make a play-in with your existing core plus a couple veteran roleplayers.

Phase 3 - Now that you're competitive, sign and/or trade for star free agents who fit well with your competitive core and try for a championship run.

Each phase takes at least a couple of years. You're trying to skip phase 2 and go straight to phase 3. That's not how it works. Roster building starting essentially from scratch requires time and patience. The teams that jump the gun end up on the mediocrity treadmill--never good enough to truly contend for a championship, never bad enough to collect enough great prospects to turn things around.

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

If the contract were "below market", trade interest in KPJ should be really high.

17. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

he's a .100 ws/48 player. no need to take up a ton of salary space for that

mfastx likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure but if you have a ton of cap space and can get a .100 WS/48 player (who was .124 the season before) for a 0.034 WS/48 player....don't you make that move to better your team?

19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I am really baffled at some of our obsession with the "potential". Jalen Green is still basically a mystery box, what he has shown so far is a athletic high scoring guard with low efficiency, very basic playmaking, below average defense and rebounding. Let's say he ups his TS% by 3-4 percent next year, he's still nowhere close to being an all star. And that's a very optimistic projection considering his shooting efficiency are down this year, and his 3 point shooting and free throw shooting also did not improve or became worse.

Brown is an All NBA scorer and a second option on a contender, at 26 he's a sure product and entering his prime. I would give up 2 of Green, Bari, Sengun for him if we can secure a long term contract. You build that with whoever is left of the 3, and hopefully a top pick this year. If you can sign Harden as well, you have a perfect blend of Youth, and experience.

We don't even own our picks in the next couple of years, why do you need so many projects who has only shown flashes, but are objectively not winning players.

Y2JT likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

I'm honestly baffled by your logic.

This is equivalent of trading 20 year old Brown for 26 year old Demar DeRozan.

Man you b**** about Green having tunnel vision....

Jaylen Brown is a worse playmaker now than current Green.

ApacheWarrior likes this.