1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets trade for Jaylen Brown?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, Apr 12, 2023.

?

Jaylen Brown?

1. Yes

75 vote(s)
    33.0%
  2. No

152 vote(s)
    67.0%
  1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I like the tutelage under Kerr. I’m just not very impressed with Nurse. He hasn’t done anything since Kawhi left and Toronto has a really good core of players in my opinion. They are all a gamble in one way or the other. Ude might be the best of the bunch, but he doesn’t have much of a track record.

Losmi_34 and ApacheWarrior like this.
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I agree.

Nurse has a ton of talent and had issues with Scottie Barnes not hustling, difficulty getting VanVleet and Gary Trent to coexist. All forwards but lack of shooting....or enough shooters.

It's tough getting two point guards or two combo guards sharing the responsibilities. I question how he gets KPj/Green to continue building on what they had at end of season. I like the combo guards sharing the ball. I feel that's the future of the NBA. I wouldn't have paid a 6'1" guard in VanVleet so much money.

Scoot Henderson/Green ?

Harden/Green ?

Harden/Green/KPj ? Coexisting?

I like Ime to chill the troops much like he did with Smart/White/Jalen/Tatum.

But yes always speculation and questions

larry cook likes this.
  3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm with you on the hell no to the proposal in the OP", not so much on "not for any package that gets it done" I'd at least explore the possibilities, knowing that the Celtics probably don't want to trade him but may not have a choice.

As we see all the time, it's the players who dictate these superstar trades more often than not. If Brown wants out, the Celtics have little choice but to accommodate him and, in that case, they aren't going to get full value for him ...

Absolutely NO to the proposed package of Green, Sengun, Tate, 2024 first-round pick via Brooklyn, 2025 first-round pick via Brooklyn or OKC but I would most certainly consider Green or Sengun and draft capital ...

The timeline to return to relevance has been 23/24 since the day Harden was traded ....

No, you likely aren't winning a championship with Brown as your #1 and a bunch of kids piggyback .... but you might be able to pull it off with another top 20ish guy and the right mix of the youngsters in the next 2-3 years.

This offseason isn't about the acquisition of any single player but who else they can add at the same time.
    They have $60m+ in cap space and can reach two max contracts by sending out KPJ+ in a trade.

They aren't going into next season with the starting 5 of Green, KPJ, KMJ, Smith & Sengun. At least one and possibly as many as three of them either come off the bench or play elsewhere next season making room for the new acquisitions via draft, FA and trade.

There's going to be turnover and consolidation of this roster.

Danny Ainge moved to Utah ..... he's been the power behind all their recent draft pick thefts.
    That's not the same front office with Brad Stevens running the show ....

Y2JT likes this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

All our players don't need to be the same age, it is ok to have some vets and proven players - let's trade some pick and young guys for Brown.

DD

backwardhead likes this.
  5. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

Picks and Green. Maybe Tate. That should be enough. Draft point guard in this draft. Cut KPJ (sorry DD).

6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I think they (including myself) saw him get a Nets team of really young players and unwanted vets at the end of their careers to really compete and play hard. He helped develop young players like Allen well.

KD and Kyrie wanted to install their own coach which was fine. Atkinson didn't want DeAndre because Allen was already better, but KD and Kyrie wanted to sign him and that's where the disagreement was. Obviously Atkinson was right in that instance.

7. ThrillaNManilla

ThrillaNManilla Contributing Member

I have not seen it mentioned how Brown is about to get paid after next year, which severely limits us in free agency. As Daryl like to say, future flexibility.

8. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I couldn't care less about paying Brown. The issue is WHO can pay him. If he doesn't make an All NBA team, things get dicey fast.

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

And this is how we turn into a decade long Knicks team.

Even if you don't like Jalen Green, the odds of having a modest third year jump and improve his efficiency is rather high which means there is a higher likelyhood his trade value will be higher next season than this season. This is trying to compete and win now and prematurely ejaculating.

If you don't like Green, okay. But why trade him now when you can get more for him later if he just basic progression of any player his age. Let him play in a system with a competent coach and his trade value would sky rocket. That's of you just can't stand Green and want to trade him at all costs.

10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

How much was it Sean Marks and tanking let's get best player available.

I liked LaVert at Michigan.....Dinwiddie? BPA?
    Clayton? BPA? I hated the DeAndre Jordan pick up. Was that Sean Marks or Atkinson?

I hated the Blake Griffin pick up....was Marks or Atkinson?....both?

I never saw Atkinson do much with that team until they were ready to get All Stars....and every coach looks good with All Stars.

He was like 28% win %
    Then 30 something win %
    then low 40%
    Then struck gold with Kyrie.

Opposite of Nurse who struck gold with
    Kawhi and then hasn't done anything since
    Kawhi left.

11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

No idea how much Atkinson had a hand in personnel. I just remember even when they were winning 20-something games they seemed like a well-coached team whenever I watched them. They were very competitive and Atkinson had a good reputation around the league for coaching/developing them well. I wouldn't say they "struck gold" with Kyrie lol.

With Nurse until this year they were still a very competitive team after Kawhi left. It's not like there's a perfect candidate out there. Ime I want too but his one year coaching the Celtics they were very mediocre until about halfway through the season and tried to choke away playoff series to the Bucks and Heat also, even though they were clearly the more talented team. We could poke holes in almost any candidate.

Atkinson seems to be highly regarded in NBA circles and I like that he's spent some time in the Warriors system. That system even turned Mike Brown into a good coach in Sacramento against all odds.

EDIT: Lol, just realized how off topic this convo is to the thread lmao.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  12. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

We are not trading Sengun for Brown

VooDooPope likes this.
  13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Lowry left the Raptors last season.

Amazing how coaches are brilliant with All Stars and look dumb when those All Stars leave.

Silas also studied under Kerr. Steph Curry had
    High Praise for Silas. What if Silas had Kawhi Leonard and Lowry and Siakim?

Don't get me wrong, I will take Nurse because he likes an abundance of wings like I do

14. Le$$

Le$$ Member

I agree if you could get them to bite on Jabari, Eason, Kpj, 2 First.

Segun, Green, and Brown would be awesome.

15. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

So many stupid suggestions!! Jalen Green is the best players on the team and will develop!
    Sengun is about #4 on the team and most likely will be a possibility with Porter to be traded. Y

peleincubus likes this.
  16. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

I don't even watch basketball anymore and I know that's a bad trade.

larry cook likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

@AroundTheWorld

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

@Yetti is entitled to his opinion

At 85 years old, he deserves respect, even when he is wrong.

And I can see why the Celtics would want Sengun, of course. They have historically been the better-run franchise for most of the time.

If the Celtics were to get Sengun and Tari, Momster would be in heaven.

#118 AroundTheWorld, Apr 14, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
  19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Sure, Sure Alperen Sengun fits the mold of what Boston likes to do! Let me guess they will just revamp their whole philosophy so Tatum can take a back seat to Sengun and his 6 feet shots right! I just want to be a fly on the wall of whatever Boston chat room the SOFs infiltrate when they bark out Sengun is better than Larry Bird because of "advanced stats" :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Corrosion likes this.
  20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't think they would want Sengun, but they would want Green - and that is really the key here, would you trade say, the number 4 pick, and Jaylen Green for Brown......???

In a heartbeat for me.

DD