1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chapter 5: The Green Revolution Falls

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Mar 8, 2023.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

The more I think about it the more I think Donovan Mitchell is the best comp. They're very similar in their quickness, explosiveness, creativity around the basket. The starts to their careers look eerily similar. Mitchell also started out as not that much of an outside shooter.

Mitchell came into the league a bit more filled-out and stronger, but Green is taller and got started younger, so maybe that's a wash.

I don't think anyone can complain if Green does over the next 4 years what Mitchell did over his 3rd through 6th seasons--provided Green continues to stay on the court.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  2. NewAge

NewAge Member

I am only talking about last night. I also think Jabari is a better prospect based on his skills. But Duren had a good game, I was impressed. Ivey has been underwhelming, I expected more from him. Mathurin has had a better year.

snowconeman22 and Mathloom like this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Mathurin has the benefit of playing a lot of ball and getting easy looks from Hali

daywalker02 and NewAge like this.
  4. NewAge

NewAge Member

I am only talking about last night. I also think Jabari is a better prospect based on his skills. But Duren had a good game, I was impressed. Ivey has been underwhelming, I expected more from him. Mathurin has had a better year.
    Glad you are coming on-board. Jabari can get a shot off against defenders, I was telling you. It wasn’t his best game, though.

To return a compliment to your guy: I thought Jalen Green was by far the best #2 pick on the floor last night. The Wiseman/Bagley reclamation projects are still a big question mark. Enticing specimen, both of them, with size and mobility, but not really ballers.

Mathloom likes this.
  5. NewAge

NewAge Member

yeah, agree. Ivey is being asked to do more by himself.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Detroit is as chaotic as us, may be more. But hey, they are tanking hard. Tanking is always a good justification for fielding a chaotic team, right?

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would not say they are as chaotic, they have the typical profile of a blue collar city with a smaller market.

They know they cannot get top superstars to join them, they can only develop their own.

They have bottom league Offense and some sort of Defense.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would not say they are as chaotic, they have the typical profile of a blue collar city with a smaller market.

They know they cannot get top superstars to join them, they can only develop their own.

They have bottom league Offense and some sort of Defense.

Wiseman as raw as he is, would be a decent investment. Saddiq Bey's ceiling wasn't what they hoped it would be.

Easy likes this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

They don't have as much talent as we do. Cade is hurt, or maybe they are just shutting him down for the tank. Ivey is a rookie PG. (BTW, whoever thinks we are hiding TyTy Washington because we want to lose is delusional.) And as someone has pointed out, Wiseman and Bagley are reclamation projects that have a lot of question marks.

Remember people were saying the Cunningham-Ivey tandem would be the most exciting young backcourt? Well they are now supplanted by the other most exciting young backcourt of the Green-Porter tandem. :D

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It wasn't really arguable but if you stack Billups-Rip-Prince-Sheed-Ben versus
    Payton, Kobe, Devean George, Malone, Shaq, I don't think talent level is the only thing that mattered.

Fact is neither the Rockets nor the Pistons were playing organized, structured ball.

And Bogdanovic would be the Y factor on any contender.

#330 daywalker02, Apr 1, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
    snowconeman22 and Easy like this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

Jalen Green is averaging 7 free throw attempts a game post-ASB and 8.5 free throw attempts a game in his last 10

it looks like he’s been doing a lot of skill work…he’s really starting to look smooth and crafty out there…now it’s about being able to convert

2:50 mark…excellent move to create space for the midrange jumper

4 minute mark…slithers through the lane for the layup on Lebron, then on the very next possession he has a nice move on AD that gets him to bite, but he misses the layup

5 minute mark…slithers through the lane again, but this time Lebron gets the block

5:45…nice slight hesi on AD to get the blow by, but then gets his dunk attempt blocked by Hachimura

6:10…excellent stepback move on Austin Reaves to create space and drill the three

this is some promising stuff from him, and he’s displaying it game in and game out

Jalen Green by year 4 will be an absolute problem…skill level and strength will only continue to improve, as will his jump shot

his rookie year he had very little change of pace and no counter moves, it was pretty much a straight line drive at full speed…now he’s taking his time

12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

his development would have been a lot further if he had an actual pg and coach, but he's progressing well while lacking the two

13. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Those tanking Sonics/Thunder teams were just as bad as us if not worse. That +/- is not indicative of Durant, but of the team he was on.
    So... is Jalen just a young Durant? And once we have our 3 consecutive top draft picks (in Thunders case it was consecutive top 3 picks), we will become contendors like the Thunder did? That would be cool.

14. fchowd0311

he's learning how to control his bursts of speeds. He hesied Lebron and AD in the game in traffic just didn't connect on a lay up he probably usually makes.

He still needs to learn that he doesn't have to put up a shot if he gets into the paint. He needs to learn that he can sometimes maintain his dribble and reset or at least find an open cutter or shooter when he drives and collapses the defense. He still has problems having tunnel vision when he gets in the paint. Definitely something to keep an eye out for next season if he can improve on that aspect of his game. One of those things that will make a difference between him being merely a star scorer or a superstar if he can immensely improve on that aspect.

15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Yeah, I don't see that comp. Jalen is a bigger, better athlete and just frankly has a higher ceiling. Nothing against Mitchell, who I would call elite athletically for his size, but I think you are underselling Jalen currently. His trend currently is much closer to Anthony Edwards/Devin Booker and even then, I think Jalen athletically moves a bit better than those guys with the ball in his hands.

This is what is crazy about Jalen Green. He has already surpassed Zach Lavine, Anthony Edwards, and DMitch's Career High for a season in FTA average in year 2. His last 10 games he is up to 8.5 FTA per game!!!!! Astonishing really when you start looking in to ALL TIME leaderboards in FTA Average per career. Getting to the FT line abundantly is almost a pre req to being a HOF level player. This development has moved Jalen's floor that much higher imo and you have to give the coaching staff a TON of credit.

One of the reason's I don't necessarily knock Silas is that it's clear what the organization is doing from my point of view(I could be optimistically ignorant here). They are more so focusing on individual success over team right now. Its a perfect recipe to build up players like Jabari, Jalen, Sengun, KPJ all while losing enough games to draft a talent like Wemby, Henderson or even Brandon Miller this year and then go for it.

They are setup to make a big leap ala PHX's rebuild. This one looks to be even more efficient.

I think Silas/Stone/Tilman are all on the same page. They know this offseason is a big one for Houston and I think we are going to see that with some FA additions via vets. Buckle the F up.

DreamR, Rocketeer and OremLK like this.
  16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

https://theathletic.com/4373372/202...red_article&access_token=5559351&redirected=1

Iko on Green.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Easy and Mathloom like this.
  18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

His voice is gonna grow I think, which will be good.

19. fchowd0311

Come on guys. +27 against the Nuggets. Jalen earns a bump for that.

Mathloom and zeeshan2 like this.
  20. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Once he is stronger and has a secondary plan&execution on his drives, he will be impossible to stop.

Mathloom likes this.