1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Player Assessment] Jalen Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dankstronaut, Apr 1, 2023.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    Jalen Green
    21 yo, 6'4", 186 lbs.
    2nd overall pick in 2021 NBA Draft
    2nd season in the NBA
    Contract
    https://www.spotrac.com/nba/houston-rockets/jalen-green-74109/
    Stats
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/greenja05.html
    Summary
    It's hard to imagine that he could be a better scorer at this age/stage of his career but that's exactly what we'll expect moving forward, and for good reason. He has a penchant for hitting tough shots and buzzer beaters, seems to be getting through the lane and to the line with greater ease. It's easy to project great things for Jalen Green's future, especially with the benefit of experience (read: consistency) and a coach that will remind him to try a bit harder on defense.
    The Good

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/video/jalen-green-dunk-vs-detroit-024852578.html?src=rss
    The Bad
    Like so many other young Rockets, it's defense. He has the wingspan, the quicks to be at the very least a pesky on-ball defender. Even if they hide him in the corner, with his athleticism he should be playing free safety and intercepting cross court passes on the regular. He's got the tools, does he have the heart? Honorable mention to shooting efficiency but I genuinely believe that will come with time and a better team around him.
    Just Derp's Opinion
    I don't want this to come across as overstating because I recognize his age and the team situation but I feel like until he ascends to superstardom or becomes "the guy" we will be left wondering: is he the guy? Can he become the scorer like Curry or Lillard who lifts his whole team up? Can he add playmaking and become a Doncic/Harden heliocentric type offensive machine? Or is he just a complementary scorer like Beal or Lavine? Most NBA players that ascend do so around age 23. I feel like complementary scorer is his floor, so to that end we've got a very good player under contract for a long time and a piece that will help almost any star player. He's definitely "core" material whether it's being the tip of the spear or part of a big 3. We all want to see him become the type that lifts up the whole team though, to that end I hope we land solid players this offseason and a coach who can hold them accountable. I believe in Jalen Green and that our collective future with him holds a championship.
    [​IMG]

Other Player Assessment threads by Derp:
    https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/player-assessment-usman-garuba.319161/
    https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/player-assessment-kevin-porter-jr.319106/
    https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/player-assessment-alperen-sengun.319017/
    https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/player-assessment-kenyon-martin-jr.318936/

#1 Dankstronaut, Apr 1, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Detroit fans like him too.

DD

3. NewAge

NewAge Member

I think this is the perfect assessment. Solid floor as a bucket-getter, and still young enough to hope for more.

He’s been annoying and frustrating me because of all the losing, in which he’s been a big contributing factor with poor defense and effort. But after a win, it’s easier to take a more optimistic big picture view.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Can anyone determine what Jalen Green's actual height is? When he's on the court he looks a few inches taller than dudes listed at 6'3".

So is he 6'4"? Or somewhere between 6'5" and 6'6"?

snowconeman22 likes this.
  5. Caesar

Caesar Member

He's always looked a big 6'3 or small 6'4 to me. Maybe it's the short neck and small head?

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’d say he’s probably 6’4-6’5

7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He does have a super short neck lol

Caesar likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

So does that mean guys like Ivey are like 6'1"?
    He looks considerably taller than guys listed at 6'3". Against the Nets he looked the same height as guys like Bridges.

Boii, Dobbizzle and Caesar like this.
  9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Imo looks like he's grown a bit this year . I want to see more of him and JC side to side

Felipe, Mathloom and fchowd0311 like this.
  10. fchowd0311

Definitely. It genuinely looks like he grew like half an inch since last year.

Mathloom likes this.
  11. sydmill

sydmill Member

Almost the entirety of the rebuild revolves around Green. He doesn't have to be Kobe but he can't be Zach LaVine either for the team to be as successful as we all want.

12. fchowd0311

Well that immediately changes if we get Wemby. Then it's all about him and possibly best case scenario a all time elite duo with Wemby and Green.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I’ve been waiting for this one, thanks Derp!

I agree with Derp’s assessment. Offensively the sky is the limit, but will he end up being a good basketball player?

the ball IQ and vision is lacking, defensive effort inconsistent and over all not good (although it’s been somewhat better the last 2 weeks). Shot selection still inefficient, but it looks like his stroke is coming around. Still doesn’t know how to play team ball, is not active without the ball.

His big improvement this year has been driving the lane, getting to the rim, and finishing…even through contact. Jalen could lead all nba players in free throw attempts someday. If his shot is not falling he can absolutely beat anyone off the dribble and score at the rim or get to the line. He’s always gonna be able to find a way to score. That’s special.

Let’s face it, he’s behind in his development and he really has to take that next step in year 3. He’s a liability on the court in a lot of ways. I think he badly needs a new coach and organizational culture to do that. If he can put it together next year, I’m excited for what he could become. But right now to Derp’s point I’m not sure he’s got the mentality to be the franchise guy. Next season will be critical for Jalen.

No Worries, Y2JT, sydmill and 3 others like this.
  14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Player assessment?

Jalen Green is very Green.

Lots of athleticism and huge potential, but a lot of growth left to do.

15. fchowd0311

I don't think you agree with Derp's take.

BonziWellsGOAT and topfive like this.
  16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Really really disappointed with the drop in defensive effort for a long stretch this season.

His drop in efficiency is totally logical to me thus not worrisome. Even if he actually improved his skills from last season, his efficiency would drop this season because getting the ball at the perfect time and place has been a huge issue this season. Arguably one of the worst playmaking rotations in league history, the 3 people that ran offense most were Sengun, KPJ and Nix. At this point in his career, Sengun shouldn't be the best floor general on his team but he absolutely was. The spacing was also historically bad this season. Playing with more experienced and efficient shooters and playmakers is a must for Jalen.

Other than that I've been very happy with the big picture items like finishing at the rim, getting to the line, gaining some muscle, mostly better shot selection than last season. I want more muscle and more consistent defensive effort from him next season.

I find it impossible to believe better coaching and teammates and experience won't push him to elite scoring status in the league. Did a pretty good job navigating a nightmare season. It's time to give him a taste of winning, I believe he's learned all he can from a losing team.

Boii, cmlmel77, Dankstronaut and 2 others like this.
  17. Caesar

Caesar Member

Probably. While Beal is a more accurate height comp. Lavine and Harden are supposed to be 6'5. I have no idea if they did away with the barefoot measurement. I swear i thought a lot of dudes were downgraded. Rose and Westbrook were 6'2. Beal was 6'3. Now they're all back to their previous in shoe measurements. The only one who remains is LeBron apparent barefoot upgrade to 6'9 making him 6'10 in shoes like barefoot KD...so idk..it's a mess. The NBA has always been a mess with proper measurements. They never/rarely updated rookie weights of previous generation players either, that's why you got massive guys liek Karl Malone weighing the same as LeBron and David Robinson weighing like a SF. Michael's weight's were well documented. 212 the first championship. 214 2nd championship. Around 218-220 in 96 and people say he dropped back down for 97 and 98 but i don't believe that because he was clearly girthier those years and looked 15lbs heavier for the wizards years so i don't believe the 220-225 numbers on those Wizards years either. He looked like a 240 to me by then. Anyway, he's officially listed at 198, 3 lbs heavier than his rookie 195 weight.
    Summer of 85 after his rookie season: He was probably already 200 by then, if not then 198.

Point is, I'd say Jalen's current 178 listing is way behind that MJ and 21 year old Kobe in physique via eye test, but even Jalen doesn't look THAT light. He's got to be 188 ish by now imo. As for height, Michael was 6'4 7/8th's barefoot measured at the Olympics btw. Kobe nearly identical barefoot height as well. So i'm not worried if Jalen is a short 6'4 barefoot, but wth is it officially? Barefoot or IN shoes because IN shoes 6'4 is vastly different to MJ and Kobe's hair under 6'5 barefoot measurements.

18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

BTW instead of using ppg , I would use rank in scoring ppg in the league .

If you look at his rank this year and last year compared to other young top selected players he's about average . His efficiency in getting to the line is pretty good .

Where I'm down on him is what else is he bringing or projected to bring ? I like some.of the assist numbers in some games , but I'm not sure he will be a top engine .

I really don't like the defense. Its great he's learned to play 30+ mpg without fouling our, but he hasn't learned how to play 30 mpg with effort . In that vein Jabari is ahead of him . So is Tari. So is usman , and Tate

His comp to me is trae young . But less shooting and less playmaking . And hopefully his athleticism translates to more defense .

Looking more like a top 50 guys at his peak than top 25 . Still a Ling way to go

#18 snowconeman22, Apr 1, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
  19. Caesar

Caesar Member

I see Jalen is officially upgraded to 186 from his rookie weight. Thats good. That seems about right, but still trailing someone like Kobe's physical progression. Maybe LaVine body is the best comp.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Green has all the talent to be an exceptional scorer.

The two most important things for him to take the next step are:
    1. Get rid of Silas
    2. Get rid of KPJ

Believe It!, Rocketeer, Nook and 3 others like this.