1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rudy T] 'You are not going to win big with young players'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daywalker02, Apr 1, 2023.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Q: Teams now rather stock their rosters with young inexperienced players than having veterans around. Then you look at the recent events with Ja Morant and the gun incident or even the Houston Rockets with a lot of talk about the lack of accountability with the team. What are your thoughts on all that?

RT: Well, first of all, you’re not gonna win big with young players. It’s just ain’t gonna happen. They haven’t grown up enough, and they haven’t been through all the situations you have to go through like how to hold leads, how to take care of clock situations… all those things. So you have to have those veterans that are coaches on the floor, too. And, it can’t just be the coach saying it, the players sorta hearing it, it’s got to be a way of life. And you get that when other players have had success, and they say, “Hey, this is how we do it here. This is Rockets basketball. This is how we play that pick-and-roll.” It helps the young guys. But it also reinforces the system that the coaches are trying to put in.

https://hoopshype.com/lists/rudy-tomjanovich-youre-not-win-big-young-players/

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No Worries likes this.
  3. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Good advice, Rudy! but man the problem is they haven't decided to win yet, not mention to WIN BIG.
    [​IMG]
    @i3artow i3aller

[​IMG]

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The lack of veterans this year was obviously for the tank. If a Wemby and Scoot level prospect wasn't in this year's class we probably would have went after someone like Mike Conley Jr.

But unfortunately the Rockets belief in tanking for Wemby is more important than current development of current players and not allowing them to form bad habits. Apparently that isn't something they care about.

HardenReturns likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The league has changed a lot as well in terms of going heavy on small ball and shooting the three. How do you like that?
    RT: I think it’s good, even when I was in coaching, studying the game, and looking for solutions. I think the person who could find a way to play the middle pick-and-roll without switching and not getting hurt by dunks and three-pointers, whoever could do that really has a chance to, and there have been some teams who have had some success in that. But I think that’s the biggest breakthrough. Several years ago, Draymond Green changed the way people play pick-and-rolls because he’s so good at switching and everybody wanted to do that but they weren’t Draymond Green. But you try to do the best you can. If people can find a way to do it by keeping the big man not switched on to the small guy and not getting a play for threes, you’re gonna see somebody have some success in the league.

Having Ralph Sampson and Hakeem Olajuwon playing together on the floor and dominating in the paint back in the day, what is it like comparing your time as a coach and what it is today?

RT: It’s a different defensive league than it used to be with the illegal defense of rules… I’m not going to say easily run post-ups, but running an efficient post-up game, it’s not easy to do. You have to work on it all the time, because people know where the ball is going. And they’re going to try to do everything they can to not let you just throw it in there. But with the way the rules are now, you could actually put two or three guys on the post-up guy, as long as they’re one arms-length away, you could do that. Of course, you’d be leaving other people open, but I could see if your team had it going that’s the way people would have played him. So I think part of the reason that it’s harder to post up now and teaching the inside game is tough now. A lot of the coaches now were point guards and they know the guard game but they don’t know the big man game and all the different things because we have to work at it with Hakeem [Olajuwon], but we did have the rules on our side. The way it is now, they could be swarming that guy even before he catches the ball, so I’m so glad the rules weren’t like that back then.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

For an old franchise the transparency is really bad and that is with their plan being so obvious.

This is like dumping the ball to someone like Wemby and having no other plans whatsoever, I can see that literally happening.

They just do not trust the fans.

HardenReturns and fchowd0311 like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Totally missed that they brought in DJ Augustin for the remainder of the season.....

HardenReturns and fchowd0311 like this.
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

And are playing him 0 minutes.

daywalker02 likes this.
  9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

We weren't asking to win big .

Just grow a tier from 20 wins

Yes no vets were a problem . But also our vets were either disengaged (gordon) (possibly because he knew he was going to be traded and didn't want to get hurt )

or held out,
    (tate) (you can't tell me tate legit was unable to play for as many games as he's been held out, it was a choice by rockets brass)

We have more talent this year . Jabari got off to a historically bad start tho.

Green and kpj haven't taken much of a step forward imo . Kpj has regressed on D . Kmj hasn't really taken much of a step either , he's just getting better looks .

Look at how we barely beat Detroit last night .

The Rockets brass needs to admit that we did not reach our goal this year of "being tough to play against"

Outside of a few select games here and there , teams did not have to bring their A or even B game to beat us . We have 19 wins . I bet if you go dive into the numbers most of that is just us being hot and the other team being cold ...and not cold because we made them take tough looks.

Alot of this "we need more vets" talk around the league I have a hard time separating from "the rockets have 60 mil cap space and I want to get paid"

Is austin rivers gonna make a culture difference? If we pay fvv or harden or another "big" name this summer will tilman pay the LT to retain our young guys when their time comes? My guess is hell no if we are topping out at less than 50 wins .

If we trade for guys we have to trade some.of the young talent / assets that we've been accumulating .

We should have taken a step forward this year . Wood or no wood lol. We miss theis more imo hahaha

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is what I meant with a firm plan and transparency. Communicating it to the public and keeping us abreast of things.

Seems like half of the war room wanted to tank and the other half wanted to go out with a bang, with some sort of resistance.....

Stuck inbetween is the worst.