1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-29] TyTy Washington Jr., PG, Kentucky

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of TyTy Washington?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

94.8%
  2. NO

5.2%
  1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

If Tyty and Nix both suck at everything except that Tyty is an excellent passer of the ball, then that skill is likely to marginally improve all the other players on the floor with him, and that could add wins. This is why we showed up to the season with Nix/KPJ as PG's, it's a bottleneck right at the source of the offense.

Giving Nix the job never made sense. He showed no improvement, didn't even lose weight and his career had all been poor performances in the NBA and mediocre performances in the G League. So if he's not good last season, in the G League, off the court, in the summer, the preseason and the beginning of the season... how many games does it take to realize this is not progressing at all? If they cared that the person filling this role was competent, they would have signed someone for the minimum.

If you **** the offense up at the source and make sure there's no last line of defense, you get a season like ours. Which is what they always wanted. Which is fine if we get Wemby or Scoot, otherwise the strategy failed because it would have made no material gains for the amount of growth it held back.

beardsanity713 and OremLK like this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It never made sense to me to hold back the talent you already have in order to chase after something you don't even know exists. I would be extremely mad if I were the young guys on the team to know that the organization is sacrificing my development in order to get a future possibilities.

I can understand not getting a competent vet PG. But not even try to develop Tyty is just dumb.

BTW, the tank explanation never explained why they played Gordon so much. They could have lost a few more games by getting rid of him earlier or simply giving him the Wall treatment.

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Where is my TyTy? I’m so ready to get off this clown show train. We have 5 freaking games left.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Common misconception is that a guy not getting NBA minutes is not developing.

95% of development occurs off the court.

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

For the first quarter of the season or so, Nix was shooting something like 47% from 3 and then his shot ran away and he's been unplayable ever since.
    I hope he's gone to start next season .... EG has no fun watching him - and neither do I.

BaselineFade, snowconeman22 and Easy like this.
  6. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Eric Gordon was shooting 34% on 3's and defensive rating worse than Jalen Green last season and this season. A motivated Gordon is better than Tate, Tari and KJ right now, but the checked out version was defensively worse than all 3. Offensively he was far worse than KJ and barely better than Tari and Tate. That's not even worth the vet minimum and certainly shouldn't have played that much - he only reduced his trade value and taught the youngsters to whine to refs incessantly.

#706 Mathloom, Mar 31, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
  7. OremLK

OremLK Member

I agree with all of this except that the tank was a failure if we don't get a top 2 pick. I would downgrade that to possible failure. It's a deep draft, there are other guys who could make a huge impact behind those two. There's a possibility it could have been worth it even if we get the 6th pick, depends on who we get and whether they maximize their potential. I still really like the guys likely to be picked around that range, whether that be Walker, one of the Thompson twins, or perhaps a guy like Cam Whitmore.

Easy likes this.
  8. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I should correct it to say I think they will consider themselves to have failed if they miss out on top 2 picks. I'll consider them to have failed if we are not on a 30 win pace in the first half and on a 41 win pace in the second half of next season (without any bad long contracts on the roster). Regardless of where the pick falls.

Core Group + Vet Captain

Sengun/Jabari/Garuba + Horford?
    Tari/KJ/Green/Christopher + Tate
    KPJ/Tyty + Rubio?

Plus you add a top 5 pick and one more super high character vet between vet min and MLE (not for minutes, just culture). I like Joe Ingles or Dellavedova or George Hill for this role. That's 14 players. Those guys can win 35ish games getting hot in the second half once chemistry is established.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

1. If that's the case, why didn't they send Green and Jabari to the g-league?
    2. I am not even talking about the development of TyTy. It's everybody's without a decent PG.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Mai Tai.

[​IMG]

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Their plan was either to suck or have Bari and Green look like Durant and Kobman.

Easy likes this.
  12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The Rockets with Gordon 12-27
    The Rockets without Gordon 6-32

I know there were other factors. But the big difference between the two records speaks volume.

Defense is trash with or without EG. Offense is much better with him.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

Rockets offensive rating since EG's last game with the Rockets on 2/8. 111.6

Rockets offensive rating prior to EG getting traded since the start of the season. 109.2

Rockets defensive rating since EG's last game with the Rockets on 2/8. 122.2

Rockets defensive rating prior to EG getting traded since the start of the season. 117.8

This says the offense got better. and Defense is worse without EG. Both make sense. EG wasn't having a good year shooting the ball here and defensively he's better than those who replaced him in the lineup

#713 YOLO, Mar 31, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
    snowconeman22 likes this.
  14. larsv8

1.) That is just a dumb question.
    2.) Expecting a rookie late first round pick to help develop guys with more years is not realistic.

You guys are stuck with these silly narratives and rhetoric that have no basis in reality.

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

can u justify the 17 min Nix is averaging while TyTy is in the G-league with 5 games left to go in one of our worst seasons in franchise history?

AroundTheWorld and Easy like this.
  16. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Oh, no man. You can't just remove salary from a team and make that comparison on W/L.

Replace Gordon with a vet minimum PG we wouldn't skip a beat. Gordon has major tunnel vision as well. We started KJ Martin in his place for gods sake instead of obviously needing to start Tate or Tari.

Just think about it 13 points on 10 shots (and 34% on 3pters) is not making up for the fact that Eric Gordon was the second worst defender on the entire roster this season.

He was total garbage and his energetic effect on the team even worse. If we wanted to win even slightly more we would have brought Tate back when he was healthy initially and reduced KJ's minutes.

If we wanted nothing but to maximize wins this season we would have just surrounded Green and Sengun with 3 unselfish defenders who can shoot and since we don't have great options that would have been Jabari, Tari and Tate, with Garuba, KJ and Gordon getting bench minutes.

These arguments we've been making all season about how Wood or Gordon or Bruno are generating more wins reminds me of the wolves. People are confusing talent (DLo) with ideal performance (Conley).

Further there were several veteran minimum free agents that could have given us better minutes at PG than Nix. They just didn't want it even when obvious Nix ain't it.

18. larsv8

Probably. We don't know for sure, but there are many perfectly reasonable scenarios where this would be the case.

Nix has been on the team one year longer and has likely learned the essentials and is doing the things the coach is asking him to do. He can likely better articulate his role, defensive assignments, etc as a result of being on the team longer. We don't know if TyTy knows any of this stuff, and one of the basics to managing a team, not just in sports, but elsewhere, is not giving special treatment, jumping the line, etc. You may have heard the phrase "paying your dues". It could also be that TyTys future role is has more usage, so standing around in NBA games is simply not as useful as being the "the guy" in the G-League.

Fans very often only look at a player's on court production as a measure of who deserves to get minutes, and just flat out ignore that things happen OFF the court with all these guys. Development plans, goals, conditioning, attitude, etc. It is a very simplistic view, and I have to wonder if people have ever been apart of large organization that develops people. My guess is not.

This reminds me earlier in the year when fans were furious Sengun wasn't being featured offensively or getting "significant" playing time, like it was this huge offense against humanity. Come to find out via Clutch, that Sengun wasn't listening very well and not following assignments, thus not awarded with the minutes. Like it or not, that is what "development" is, and that made sense and was perfectly reasonable. The reasonableness of it, of course, has been completely ignored and the fanbase wants to call the coach and GM incompetent.

We also don't know what the future will hold as far as trades and consolidation. We don't know who we will have to package out of here, and who will be left. They have to treat all of their guys as "prospects" whether the fan base has written the guy off or not. It is very possible that when the dust settles after the offseason, the only PGs you have left on your roster are KPJ and Nix, while other parts of your roster are vastly improved. In such a scenario, you should be grateful for the investment and patience that was given to those two guys

SamFisher likes this.
  19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

TyTy looked awful when he was in.

Didn't seem like a potential late lottery pick, seemed more like a fringe NBA player. Not big, fast, good at shooting or defending - I didn't really even see the raw materials there where you squint and say "oh that's who the fully formed guy is"

As usual, I hope I'm wrong, but my expectations are pretty low on this one.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If the Rockets decide to address the bleakest era in the last 40 years of franchise history by, per @Mathloom's suggestion, keeping the same core and adding *checks notes* *checks notes again* ...Al HORFORD and RICKY RUBIO, and you know, maybe if we're lucky, a Dellevedova or George Hill - I'd break down and weep, because I'd have no choice but to treat the whole thing as a brilliant work of absurdist performance art.

Never stop posting man.

txtodd and Corrosion like this.