1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Identifying the Rockets core

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 9, 2022.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

yul c

quikkag likes this.
  2. invocux

invocux Member

Seattle's record was 20-62 with Durant.

3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

20-18=2

2 more wins and I'll believe Sengun is Durant.

jkjk

Ubiquitin and invocux like this.
  4. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Who made this list/stats?

Alp's rookie stat was 9.6 ppg and the leap is 5 ppg, bigger jump than the others on the list. If we re-drafted 2021 class, top 3 players would be Wagner-Giddey and Sengun followed by JGreen-EMobley and Cunningham.

HardenReturns and Entropy like this.
  5. invocux

invocux Member

Green, Sengun, Jabari for me and honestly i am not super high on Jabari but he's getting better so i include him. I am simply in love with his middy but his defense is not that good, he's not athletic, can't f*king jump and his touch around the rim is less than encouraging. Despite everything there is a 20 ppg player somewhere in there but get off the c*ack if you believe that he can be DPOY he doesn't have that. Tari's touch around the rim is simply abysmal. Kid has negative bbiq. Tonight he f**ked up again by not passing the ball to KJ on that fast break. His court vision is nonexistent. I like his defense. Keep him but not part of the core. I love KJ he knows his strengths and plays to them. You pretty much know what you will get from him. This year he's been pretty s*** from behind the arc but he's usually pretty decent. I like him but he's not part of the core. Jaygup also has low bbiq now this is the problem with our youngsters. Except Sengun and KJ none of them have above average bbiq in NBA standards imo. Even Green. I don't expect this team to make playoffs or even playin next year but this team is just above r*tard territory. Nix probably has 30 sth chromosomes.

HardenReturns and Entropy like this.
  6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Durant was scoring more on above league efficiency. He showed improvement between year 1-2. I am not sure what improvement green has shown. He shoots more, but at worse efficiency, and no one on the rockets plays any D.

HardenReturns and Ubiquitin like this.
  7. maj21

maj21 Member

Seriously, it’s ridiculous

Dankstronaut likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Well I don't think Green will be Durant level lol. Oh and Durant was below league average efficiency his rookie year.

But I don't think Durant experienced a roster that became worse around him from season 1 to 2 for him unlike Green. And Green simply isn't as talented as Durant also as Durant is a freak for being 6'11" with that wingspan with those handles, lateral quickness and elite shooting. But for Green and judging by the standards of players of his talent level( guys like Booker) he did increase his production quite a bit with a higher percentage of fgs made off the dribble with more defensive attention and with a worse roster than his rookie season.

Comparing Green to Durant is just asking for failure on Green's end. We can't be of the mindset that because Green isn't Durant level rarity in talent, we don't have anything with Green. That's silly.

9. sydmill

sydmill Member

From a team construction standpoint I think that Green and Sengun compare well with Fox and Sabonis in Sacramento. I think there are a lot of similarities physically between Fox and Green and Sengun and Sabonis. There are also similarities in their games (strengths and weaknesses). One big difference is that Green and Sengun appear to be developing faster individually than either Fox or Sabonis did. Hopefully this means that by their mid 20s they are seeing more success as a tandem than Fox and Sabonis. As the focus of the Kings, Fox and Sabonis are nearing 50 wins this season. I think Jabari and Eason add nice floor spacing and defense to any similar attack Houston could develop. IF you can integrate KPJ into that you have most of a rotation before we've even mentioned our 2 first rounders or the $60M we have to spend on free agents.

AroundTheWorld and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. invocux

invocux Member

Aren't you like the biggest KPJ simp that has ever lived (and will ever live probably) ? Soviets didn't defend Stalingrad the way you've been defending KPJ on here/Twitter. Yesterday you were on Twitter saying that KPJ has improved as point guard and you were getting laughed at by the other dude, rightfully so. If someone needs to step back and realize it's you

11. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

I guess jabari or eason can possibly develop into good role players if we ever get some stars. The rest you can throw in the trash

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Let's pretend that Sengun and Green are Fox and Sabonis exactly.

This means they should be rounding into form to push the Rockets into the playoffs by .... 2028.

Woohoo. Only 5 more years of this!

snowconeman22, pmac and Verbal Christ like this.
  13. fchowd0311

I'm assuming you disagree with his take bit he's saying their trajectory seems higher so they'd be ready to compete sooner.

It's hard to judge man. I'm pretty sure the Rockets have put out the youngest 9 man rotation in league history so you have a bunch of headless chickens running around. Hard to judge

sydmill likes this.
  14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The Kings are a good example of the opposite approach - a trade (which everyone frowned upon) for Sabonis+ other circumstances turned them around rather than just hoping they'd get lucky in the lottery year after year

They're also the beneficiary of a changing of the guard in the West as the conference weakens and the old stars age out, the offense heavy era, etc.

I don't know the chances that those circumstances repeat for the Rockets in 5 years but... probably not super high

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I refuse to accept the reality where the Sacramento Kings are being used as a barometer for any other team.

SamFisher likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

Nah we should follow the Mavs route with how they use Luka when we consider KPJ's role.

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

No need to flail about. Why not copy GS, MIL, or BOS instead? You know teams that have either won it all or played for it all instead of pretenders?

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Whether you like the kings or not. The trade that everyone frowned on looks like the Kings have won. Indiana is not good and can’t stay healthy, while the Kings are a top 3 seed. Sabonis has been great and Halliburton has been great when healthy. But one has lead a team to the playoffs

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  19. Le$$

Le$$ Member

So another 3-4 years maybe until you see them get to .500 by what 24-25 season? 23-24 will be either more of the same or little bit more wins based on coaching and roster management?. By 25, which looks like 2-3 years 25-26 or 26-27 season they actually look really good?

Thats all considering the rockets keep all these draft players and next 2 drafts, and what ever free agents they bring in or trade for.

Going to be rough few years thou, even in 2 years they make the play in.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sengun will be better than Sabonis next year. We just need a good coach who builds properly around him.