1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Another day another mass shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Nov 8, 2018.

1. astros123

astros123 Member

Yeah and he was interviewed by TRUMPS FBI and TRUMPS justice department and they didn't find him credible. Funny how you losers never mention that huh

VooDooPope likes this.
  2. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet
    Supporting Member

This would be the same agency that ignored the laptop, correct? The same agency that produced a number of people that signed off on the letter claiming the laptop was fake and part of a Russian disinformation campaign? Maybe they are not the best judges of credibility when it comes to investigating the Bidens.

3. astros123

astros123 Member

Hey do you mind telling me which president fired James comey and installed his own picked successor?? Who was president after Obama again??? It's so funny every time I ask the trumpers in real life who selected the current fbi director their brains absolutely melt. In real time you can see their brains malfunctioning.

let's recap the facts for the trumpers. Trump FIRED Comey. Hand choose his replacement. They FOUND the Hunter associate to be crazy. TRUMPS OWN justice department found him crazy. They asked him to provide certain paperwork which he couldn't provide. TRUMPS attorney General didn't find the need to nominate a special prosecutor after reviewing ALL the evidence@basso

It's so funny how the trumpers @Trader_Jorge aka brainwashed right wingers forget TRUMPS own JUSTICE department looked into these bs claims and laughed at them.

It's so funny every time. The funny thing how these folks claim the Hunter story is the largest national emergency ever when their cult leader's own attorney General laughed at them.

#2803 astros123, Mar 29, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
  4. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I read something today that estimated it would cost around $5 billion per year to put armed guards at every school in America. We’ve committed $75 billion to the war in Ukraine. Priorities…

Houstunna, blue_eyed_devil and Salvy like this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The Gun

By Clint Smith

the gun heard the first shot the gun thought it was a bursting pipe the
    gun heard the second shot and the third and the fourth the gun real-
    ized this was not a pipe the gun’s teacher told everyone to get on the
    ground the gun’s teacher went to lock the door the gun saw glass
    break and the teacher slump and bleed and fall silent the gun
    texted its parents and said i love you i’m so sorry for any trouble i’ve
    caused all these years you mean so much to me i’m so sorry the gun
    thought it would never leave the classroom the gun moved to a closet
    filled with several other shaking guns the gun texted its best friends in
    the group chat to see if they were okay the gun waited on a response
    the gun received one the gun did not receive another the gun waited
    for an hour the gun heard the door kicked open the gun was still in
    the closet and didn’t know who had entered the room the gun thought
    this was the end the gun thought of prom and graduation and college
    and children and all the things the gun would never have the gun heard
    more bullets the gun heard he’s down! the gun climbed out of the closet
    the gun put its hands on its head the gun walked outside the gun
    saw the cameras the gun hugged its sobbing mother and cried into her
    arms the gun heard thoughts and prayers the gun heard Second Amend-
    ment
    the gun heard lone wolf the gun texted its friend again the gun
    waited for a message the message never came

https://www.theatlantic.com/books/archive/2023/03/clint-smith-poem-the-gun/673542/

7. HTM

HTM Member

What if the armed guard is the one who starts blazing away?

Also, we've seen plenty of school with armed guards.

Marjory Stoneman Douglas Highschool famously had an armed guard. Lot of good it did anyone.

8. Amiga

Supporting Member

It's the Ted Cruz solution after this fact:

2018 Sante Fe, TX (near Houston) high school shooting with an active shooter plan and two police officers stationed at the school: 10 killed (8 students, 2 teachers), 13 wounded

The Thin Blue Line in Schools: New Evidence on School-Based Policing Across the U.S

Abstract:
    U.S. public school students increasingly attend schools with sworn law enforcement officers present. Yet, little is known about how these school resource officers (SROs) affect school environments or student outcomes. Our study uses a fuzzy regression discontinuity (RD) design with national school-level data from 2014 to 2018 to estimate the impacts of SRO placement. We construct this discontinuity based on the application scores of nearby police agencies for federal school-based policing grants. We find that SROs do effectively reduce some forms of violence in schools, but do not prevent school shootings or gun-related incidents. We also find that SROs intensify the use of suspensions, expulsions, police referrals, and arrests of students. These effects are consistently over two times larger for Black students than White students. Finally, we observe that SROs increase chronic absenteeism, particularly for students with disabilities

Presence of Armed School Officials and Fatal and Nonfatal Gunshot Injuries During Mass School Shootings, United States, 1980-2019 | Emergency Medicine | JAMA Network Open | JAMA Network (Feb 2021)

This study examined a total of 133 cases of school shootings and attempted school shootings from 1980 to 2019. Perpetrators’ ages ranged from 10 to 53; however, only 16 shooters (11%) were aged 22 years or older. Ninety-four perpetrators (70%) were current students, and 21 perpetrators (15%) were former students. Of all perpetrators, 83 (76%) were White and 148 (98%) were male. Of 121 cases with full information, 57 (47.11%) were targeted shootings. There were 134 shootings, 12 with more than one shooter. A mean (SD) of 1.34 (3.25) people per case were killed and 3.15 (5.06) per case were injured, with a mean (SD) of 1.63 (1.22) weapons per shooting (primarily handguns; 68.66% [92 of 134]). An armed guard was on scene in 23.58% of shootings (29 of 123) (Table 1).

Table 2 and show armed guards were not associated with significant reduction in rates of injuries; in fact, controlling for the aforementioned factors of location and school characteristics, the rate of deaths was 2.83 times greater in schools with an armed guard present (incidence rate ratio, 2.96; 95% CI = 1.43-6.13; P = .003).

The well-documented weapons effect explains that the presence of a weapon increases aggression.6 Whenever firearms are present, there is room for error, and even highly trained officers get split-second decisions wrong. Prior research suggests that many school shooters are actively suicidal, intending to die in the act, so an armed officer may be an incentive rather than a deterrent.4 The majority of shooters who target schools are students of the school, calling into question the effectiveness of hardened security and active shooter drills. Instead, schools must invest in resources to prevent shootings before they occur.

#2808 Amiga, Mar 29, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
  9. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

The transgender murderer had a second site picked out in her mapped out plan but decided against it because it had security… security saved lives.

Houstunna and blue_eyed_devil like this.
  10. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

What would-be-shooter would choose a school with this posted outside? Guns and security save lives, period. Which is why we use guns to protect high value targets (politicians, banks, airports, etc).

[​IMG]

Houstunna and Salvy like this.
  11. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

There is reportedly a manifesto so motive should come out soon. I do not know what goes so wrong to motivate a person to commit such a heinous act.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Seriously? That’s what you get out of yet another horrific nightmare with guns in a school filled with children?

How about legislation taking the weapons out of the hands of those who would commit these crimes. “All” it takes are votes in state legislatures doing the opposite of what they have been doing. Instead of constantly weakening gun laws, strengthen them.

Ukraine has zero to do with this. Zero. A number similar to how much honest thought you put into your post, a post to add to your trolling collection. You must be proud.

VooDooPope, ROCKSS and astros123 like this.
  13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Gotta get armed guards like in a 3rd world country when teachers don't even have a budget for school supplies. I bet I have spent $1500 on extra supplies for teachers over the years.

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As a teacher that is about what I spend out of my own pocket each year on school supplies and class room materials.

Deckard, JumpMan, Andre0087 and 3 others like this.
  15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That's what I have been told by friends. It's a weird world we live in. Homeless people are everywhere. The military budget gets bigger every year dwarfing other countries. Healthcare costs skyrocketing with millions of people not covered and getting unhealthier from trash food. The richest country in the world supposedly but teachers don't have the equipment to teach adequately.

Amiga, ROCKSS and FranchiseBlade like this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

public school? what grades?

17. Amiga

Supporting Member

I spend approximately $500 each year on basic school supplies for my three kids and donate $100-$200 per school year to their teachers. The teachers provide a list of items they need in the classroom twice a year, at the beginning of the school year and halfway through.

Over the years, our school has adapted to the threat of school shootings. Active shooter drills are now regular occurrences, beginning in kindergarten and continuing through all grade levels. Our school also enforces a clear backpack policy, modified and reinforced entry doors that require individuals to pass through two sets of doors to enter the school, complete perimeter fencing, and stationed police officers. Millions of dollars have been spent on these security measures, money that could have been allocated towards education instead. These are feel-better measures that provide a false sense of security against school shootings. In the back of my mind, I know they may slow down but won't stop a determined school shooter.

Last year, there was an active shooter alarm at our middle school. Thankfully, it turned out to be a false alarm, but it was terrifying. My armed neighbor was ready to bust in to get his daughter. Our kids shrugged it off later, but I can sense how frightening of a experience it was for them. (btw, kids are very resilient but I do believe regular active shooting drills and these events contribute to the declining mental health of kids) We and our kids should not have to live in fear like this. It is a choice made by politicians who prioritize guns over the safety of our children.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So polticians are the ones with guns? Bank tellers are the ones with guns? Tsa and check in attendants have the guns?

Sort of off topic but I love signs that say this property has firearms to defend themselves. Just asking for robbers to stake out until the house is unoccupied to steal said firearms.

I mean how many firearms are stolen per year in the States?

19. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How barbaric is this? Hearts of stone. Let's see how much we can turn America into a place where armed guards and deadly force is the proposed solution for making schools a place kids feel safe.
    Seriously? What's your vision for this country? Urban Soldiers on the streets, bars on all windows, More armed guards with assault weapons at all Universities, shopping centers, carnivals, parks, and public gatherings?

The GOP version of American Utopia right?

This type outrage should be the reaction to ANOTHEr school shooting ..

#2819 deb4rockets, Mar 30, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
  20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The idea of spending time and money arming and training school staff is so ludicrously stupid. Like, "how do you wake up every morning and figure out how to dress yourself" levels of stupid.