1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Identifying the Rockets core

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 9, 2022.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe Ja Morrant if he didn’t try to get himself kicked out of the league.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Like I said the moment you included Booker on your list is when I can confirm your take is bad rather than just having a very high threshold for "franchise centerpiece". Because the Rockets absolutely have players on the roster who can reach or exceed Booker level.

Arnel likes this.
  3. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

I would trade Green, Sengun, and Jabari for Booker.

4. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Just like I would trade Cat and Francis for T-Mac.

MadMax likes this.
  5. fchowd0311

Lol even the biggest Jalen Green haters on this forum would laugh at this proposal from a Rockets stand point.

6. fchowd0311

You know how I know your take is trash?

If we had 20 year old Booker you would say we have no core and make arguments about how Francis and Mobley are better

Arnel, xaos and Ubiquitin like this.
  7. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

You’re not wrong.

A core player needs generational talent and top tier mentoring. We have players that can be generational talents but the coaching and mentoring is lackluster to this casual fan.

xaos likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

So essentially what you are saying is you'd trade 20 year old Booker, Sengun and Jabari for 26 year old Booker.

Okay sure that's a thing I guess?o_O

Arnel and Ubiquitin like this.
  9. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Add in 26 year old Lebron and I’d trade the whole squad. Training staff and rockets dancers too.

10. fchowd0311

Okay so this is where reasoning steps in and suggests that we don't trade away the generational talent and just replace the coaching staff lol.

Arnel likes this.
  11. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

I would say Harden was core level until he got hurt.

12. fchowd0311

I mean I would also? Lol we are talking about a peak player that is in convos about being the GOAT

Ubiquitin likes this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You need to take a step back and realize that anyone is tradeable and there are no guarantees that the guy you are in love with may not ever get to where you desire him to be.

You take a proven/given over a maybe.....if you are getting a star.

DD

maj21 likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

You need to take a step back and realize I never made any claim about Green not being tradable.

Green is in that grey zone where the players you would be willing to trade Green for, the other team would say no and the players other teams would trade Green for the Rockets would say no.

Arnel likes this.
  15. xaos

xaos Member

I don't disagree that the absolute best way to build a championship team or even better a dynasty is through a generational talent (let's say top 5 talent) whether that's via draft, trade, or free agency.

However, I don't think by identifying a player as a core piece means you're never going to explore upgrades. Maybe PHX is a bad example or the perfect example, but I would imagine that before making it to the finals they had CP3/Booker/Bridges as core pieces for the next few years, but along comes the opportunity for Durant and they upgraded their talent profile.

I think in order to create a culture, identity, develop your players there should be a player or a few identified as core pieces -- maximize their talents. Rockets last 2 years and going on 3 have been accumulating talent and going into this off season they're going to have to identity a few core pieces. Along with identifying those core pieces we'll need a competent coach. I know people here think our culture and identity is beyond repair, but bringing in a legit head coach can dramatically change and repair that.

If we do that there's a lot of positive outcomes, even if our current roster doesn't have that top 5 guy in it (extremely rare to begin with). One of those positive outcomes is our players increase their value which makes them either higher trade value or as an attractive team come a meaningful free agency.

Ultimately I think I get where you're coming from... don't commit to anything without a franchise guy (approx 7 guys or so). We both agree on the importance of that guy I think we probably disagree on whether or not Rockets have taken the right steps to get theee given what they have after the Harden trade.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Many people project Green to be Booker-type scorer as his likely prime. He might turn out better or he might turn out worse. I do think Booker is a reasonable comp.

Looks like you view Booker higher than most people do. Booker is a high volume scorer with average play making and below average defense. While scoring is clearly his biggest ticket, he has never been a top 5 scorer.

Mathloom and Ubiquitin like this.
  17. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.nba.com/news/kia-rookie-ladder-march-29-2023-edition

So why not, let’s go with it: the Kia Sophomore Ladder as an annual late-season glimpse of rookies still in the business of growing their games. And don’t worry: after updating on the Class of 2021, we’re checking in with the weekly look at the Class of 2022.

1. Evan Mobley, Cleveland Cavaliers

Sophomore stats: 16.4 ppg, 9 rpg, 2.8 apg
    Rookie stats: 15.0 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 2.5 apg
    2021 Draft pick: No. 3 overall
    Final Rookie Ladder rung: No. 1

Two years of two-way excellence as Cavs rank Top 10 at both ends.

2. Franz Wagner, Orlando Magic

Sophomore stats: 18.8 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 3.6 apg
    Rookie stats: 15.2 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 2.9 apg
    2021 Draft pick: No. 8 overall
    Final Rookie Ladder rung: No. 5

Rank among sophomores: total points (2nd), total rebounds (6th), total assists (3rd) and minutes (3rd).

3. Scottie Barnes, Toronto Raptors

Sophomore stats: 15.5 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 4.8 apg
    Rookie stats: 15.3 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 3.5 apg
    2021 Draft pick: No. 4 overall
    Final Rookie Ladder rung: No. 3

Reigning Kia ROY winner looking clutch with FG%, production in fourth quarter.

4. Josh Giddey, Oklahoma City Thunder

Sophomore stats: 16.5 ppg, 7.9 rpg, 6.2 apg
    Rookie stats: 12.5 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 6.4 apg
    2021 Draft pick: No. 6 overall
    Final Rookie Ladder rung: No. 6

Passes like this to finishers such as Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Jalen Williams and Chet Holmgren for years.

5. Alperen Sengun, Houston Rockets

Sophomore stats: 14.6 ppg, 8.6 rpg, 3.8 apg
    Rookie stats: 12.1 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 2.6 apg
    2021 Draft pick: No. 16 overall
    Final Rookie Ladder rung: Not ranked

On pace to be fourth-ever 20-year-old at 14 ppg, 8 rpg and 3 apg.

6. Jalen Green, Houston Rockets

Sophomore stats: 22 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 3.6 apg
    Rookie stats: 17.3 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 2.6 apg
    2021 Draft pick: No. 2 overall
    Final Rookie Ladder rung: No. 4

A 4.7 ppg leap in Year 2 > Beal’s, Edwards’, Irving’s.

Believe It!, fryjol7 and Mathloom like this.
  18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Giddey? lol We're good. Giddey is the guy that feeds Jalen Green and Alperen Sengun. He's 16.5 points on 14.6 shots. 6.2 assists to 2.9 TO's (barely above 2:1 ratio). Not a good defender, doesn't project to be one a very good one. I really don't get the fascination. He's looking exactly like a slightly better Ricky Rubio right now, is that really a top 5 prospect in this strong draft? Would you trade Sengun's elite ceiling as a passing C or Green's elite ceiling as a scoring guard for a better Ricky Rubio?

People will come to their senses once they see our guys on a team that's trying to win games and their percentages see a healthy bump. Sengun and Green are better prospects to develop into franchise players than Giddey and Wagner. Wagner btw is going to be a super roleplayer, great pick up by the Magic.

Still I think the opinion on them right now is better than it's ever been. Could be better for Green, but he dug himself that hole with a weak start to the season and some poor defensive effort. Nothing he can't correct if he wants to next season.

19. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Rookies. Same article
    https://www.nba.com/news/kia-rookie-ladder-march-29-2023-edition

7. Jabari Smith, Jr., Houston Rockets

Season stats: 12.6 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 1.3 apg
    Since last Ladder: 15.5 ppg, 7 rpg, 2.3 apg
    Last Ladder: No. 7
    Draft pick: No. 3 overall
    Season-high six assists vs. Knicks on Monday showed more of his ball skills.

8. Tari Eason, Houston Rockets

Season stats: 9.4 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 1 apg
    Since last Ladder: 12.3 ppg, 7 rpg, 1.5 apg
    Last Ladder: No. 9
    Draft pick: No. 17 pick overall
    Ten of his 14 games of 27+ minutes have come in March (11.5 ppg, 6.8 rpg).

Believe It!, Mathloom and fryjol7 like this.
  20. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

No player on an 18-57 team is a franchise player. Get right over it.

Bobbythegreat and maj21 like this.