1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Sure. It's too early to declare a winner. But there was a sizeable difference in year-1 results, enough that it's fair to already start asking if Caserio whiffed. Gardner wasn't nominally better; he was significantly better. He may very well already be a top 10 CB in the league - especially given age & salary. So Stingley can't make small improvements - he has to make a pretty big jump.

Hopefully, a better coaching staff will help him tremendously.

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I certainly will not dispute the early lead for Garner. But there is nothing certain in sports unless it's rigged.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I understand your perspective about any GM would do it, but saying it and actually doing it is something. He deserves the credit.

It also seems pretty clear that Lovie and Culley were just pieces to rebuild which is the reason this franchise has been put in a position to come out of it quickly. Magically, the Texans interviewed all of the top coaching hires this time around. I wonder what changed? Pretty clear what the last two coaching hires were for.

You have to get credit for action and your other point is disregarding last year as being the first year he has had a chance to draft in the first round. Also while mentioning some first year players who may or may have not reached their full potential. Ultimately Stingley could have a better career than the Jets CB 10 years from now. That is for us to decide. Pitre was a homerun. Pierce was a big hit. Last years draft was solid if just those two work out.

4. Hey Now!

Sure. But... he's essentially been... Alabama beating Prairie View: it counts; it's a win. That's good and certainly better than a loss. But no one's going to celebrate it. They did exactly what was expected of them, ya know?

I've seen this defense elsewhere, and it doesn't really make sense to me. What, exactly, was stopping them from hiring DeMeco Ryans (or any other hot candidate) last year? Why did they have to settle for bottom-of-the-barrel candidates? How much further along would we be on a rebuild if we had a full-time coach in place last year to start building the culture?

This was a team that was moments away from hiring Josh McCown as its head coach. By choice; not by default. The Ryans hire was fantastic. But the last two searches were abysmal. I'm not ready to just bury those and move on. They were deeply problematic.

This doesn't make sense to me either: we have to wait 10 years to declare a winner in the Stingley-Gardner debate - but Pitre - who was nowhere near as good as Gardner was last year - is a home run? And Pierce, who plays the least essential position in a rebuild, is a big hit? If we're grading after one-year, Stingley was a whiff; Green, more so. He missed on two top 13 picks - that's atrocious.

And I'm not sure which two you mean - Stingley/Green or Pitre/Pierce? If the former, I agree - they're the make-or-break of the '22 draft, regardless of what comes after, IMO. But if you meant the later... those two won't undo Caserio potentially blowing two top 13 picks.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

#1546 J.R., Mar 29, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
    Shark44 and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

The renewals happened because he FINALLY pulled the trigger and got rid of the garbage and diseases within the organization.

Sooty, megastahr, UTSA2step and 5 others like this.
  8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Pitre lead the league in missed tackles. I wouldn’t call it a homerun but I do anticipate he will improve there. For where he was drafted and the upside he has shown it was a good pick.

So far Nick is an incomplete on the draft grades. Stingley over Sauce looks terrible but it might turn out alright. Green over a bunch of better players with his struggles and injuries looks really bad but maybe he improves and reaches his potential.

Verbal Christ and UTSA2step like this.
  9. Ancient Moabite

Hopefully they are being genuine, but it still sounds like the putting lipstick on a pig routine, PR at its finest

Rudyc281, Verbal Christ and UTSA2step like this.
  10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Long term if Stingley were as good as Gardner is now then I would be a win for Stingley. 1st Team All Pro CB, that's Sauce Gardner.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

This interview was edited for clarity and brevity:

Q: When prospects come in for top-30 visits, what questions do you want answered, and how do you involve yourself?

Cal McNair: I’ll meet with some of them. But how many I meet depends on scheduling. Typically, that’s more for coaches and staff to get to know them and get more interactions. They’ve already had some of them. And I’ve bumped into some of them. But I don’t have formalized interviews set up for them when they come in. That’s really for the coaches. And then I really want them to get to know the trainers and the nutritionists and the strength and conditioning staff. They are pretty busy. Each of those programs gets a little information about the player. If he comes in and treats a nutritionist poorly, then you’ll kind of know that. That will be part of the overall evaluation.

Q: You’re getting to know them, too. What’s most important to you?

CM: You want to know if they fit into the building and their commitment and their love of football. There’s a whole litany of things you get when you’re around someone.

Hannah McNair: I think one of the more impressive things I’ve seen from a player, not on our team, one of them wrote a thank-you note to Cal after meeting him. Handwritten. And I think that was just really impressive. That doesn’t happen a lot.

Q: It was reported that Will Levis and Anthony Richardson met with the Texans already. Will you be in on any of the quarterback interviews, and did you meet with either?

CM: I haven’t been on any of the onsite interviews yet.

HM: We met one of the quarterbacks at the Super Bowl. He came to the commissioners’ party. Really nice.

Q: What have been your impressions of Bryce Young and C.J. Stroud?

CM: After this meeting, I’ll visit with Nick more on the draft. But I’m looking to them to do the evaluations of those things and not really me so much. These guys have been scouted and studied since high school. They are phenomenal players, and they have been under scrutiny and have been watched for years. It’s not something Nick and the group woke up two weeks ago and said, ‘Hey, look at this guy from Alabama. Look at this guy from Ohio State.’ They’ve been looking at them for years. There’s a lot that’s known about them. But I rely on them on all those things. I’m not going to evaluate where a player should be.

Q: With respect to that, could one of these quarterbacks potentially be the face of the franchise?

CM: I think these quarterbacks in college nowadays have a lot of training behind the scenes from their schools and their PR departments and the media things. They come into it pretty well-trained and knowing what they want to say and can handle it themselves typically in front of the media and PR. That’s something you need out of the position. One of the many things you need out of them is leadership. You have to have the ability to start with. There are more than two that are above the bar, as far as ability, when you look at them. But where they fall in the draft is really up to the different teams and figuring out the market for that.

Q: Are you interested in moving up in the draft?

CM: Well, I think Carolina traded with Chicago, if my memory serves. They moved up, they felt strongly, and we’re at No. 2, and we’ll find a really good player at that spot.

Q: When DeMeco Ryans was hired, Nick Caserio said he could tell that the clock was ticking. With Caserio, with DeMeco, is it an expectation still? An ultimatum? How do you approach what you’re trying to get across to be a successful team?

CM: I think it’s a day-by-day thing. I think it starts with building the roster. I think it starts with the head coach and the GM really having great alignment and having that through the building. We’re seeing that. I think it starts with having a great draft. Having great practices. Putting people in a great position to show off their strengths, which DeMeco is particularly good at doing as a coach. We’ve seen that. Getting the most out of the players and being competitive and, yes, winning. I think it’s a journey. I think we started it. Each season is a new season. But this one is off to a really good start, and I’m excited about where we are headed.

HM: I think something that is also worth noting, that Cal has said, he wants to get back to continuity as well. With DeMeco, you know what you’re getting. You know you have a long runway with DeMeco, and you’ll have the continuity there to really build something there for a long period of time that’s sustainable.

Q: When you look at Caserio's performance, is it more wins-based or is it more talent evaluation, how these players perform?

CM: Nick’s more responsible for the roster and the players, and the coaching staff is more responsible for taking those players and having them play at a very high level. So there’s always a mishmash going back and forth between the coaches and the scouts in how you make it all work. That’s why you’ve got to have that alignment. The scout’s got to find the right players for the coaches. The coaches have got to take the players and get them to play at a very high level. That’s what you’re looking to see from Nick, and then what you’re looking to see from DeMeco is having them perform on the field, and Nick giving DeMeco the tools to go do that.”

HM: “I had several head coaches during these meetings say, ‘Man, do you have the guy in Nick.’ Outside of DeMeco. They all talk about DeMeco. DeMeco was the highlight. But all of them talking about Nick’s talent and how good he is, and that was something I kept hearing from people coming up and just commenting on Nick’s evaluation. Football guys that know what they’re talking about. These head coaches saying, ‘Man, do you have a guy in Nick.’ And that also speaks to affirmation for Cal knowing he has his guy.

Q: Do you feel Nick’s job is safe past this year?

CM: “When Nick was hired, he walked into a storm that really none of us, including him, could have predicted or foreseen. I think he has really done a good job steering us through unprecedented … I don’t think any team has gone through what we’ve had to go through. And he has got us here, and it’s taken a couple of years, a couple of seasons. But he has gotten us in a place where we do have cap room. We do have picks. We have a coach that’s excited to be here, a young coach with DeMeco, who was universally thought of as one of the best in an outstanding group of coaches that came out this year. We interviewed all the coaches that got hired with the exception of one, and I know that one very well, and he’s a really great coach. So out of the great group, we think generally DeMeco’s thought of as being a really, really good, solid coach. We heard it from Philly unsolicited. Said they knew he was going to be a great coach. Totally unsolicited. All that set aside, at the end of the day, you’re going to have to go out and win. And you want to see the team improving, and you want to see it on the film, on the field and for the fans to feel it. So San Fran with (coach) Kyle (Shanahan), their first year, their record was oh and a lot. But you saw the constant improvement. And then they flipped it, and they’ve been on a great run. That was after they fired two coaches and hired Kyle. But you want to see it: progression on the field, the processes and how that leads to the wins.”

Q: Throughout this offseason, being more involved with the head coaching search, what have you found out about yourself that you’re learning as you continue to do this?

CM: “Well, I think you always look backward in order to learn to do things better going forward. I think you want to be involved where you need to be involved. Sometimes you need to be there, and sometimes you don’t. I love the game of football, and I want to see us win, and we’ll do what it takes to do that.”

HM: “And we’re both Houstonians. So it’s not that we just moved to this town. This town is our town, and we want to make our city proud. We have a lot of sleepless nights trying to figure out how to get us there, but it’s also exciting. We love it. So I think that passion drives us. You do look back only to learn, not to dwell.”

Rudyc281 and Fullcourt like this.
  12. Fantasma Negro

13. raining threes

Lovie

Does this also apply to Young/Stroud?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. Fantasma Negro

Love coming from everywhere

Rudyc281 and red5rocket like this.
  15. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Randomly I still hear people call it Reliant

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. Jay713

Jay713 Member

“This interview was edited for clarity and brevity”
    Fkin’ Cal.

Fullcourt and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

What does this have to do with the Texans?

Fullcourt and Rudyc281 like this.
  18. Hey Now!

It really, really bothers me that Cal can't seem to conduct an interview without Hannah. I don't get it, and I fear it's because Cal is a complete dullard and they don't trust him to be left alone with a reporter because he's too dumb/inarticulate to handle it by himself.

I can't think of another owner, in *any* sport, whose spouse talks to the press as much as Hannah does. I'm not talking about Gene Jones and her art collection, or someone like that. I'm talking about a spouse who is routinely commenting on the team and their operations. She is *always* by his side. Man, it's... "unique."

#1558 Hey Now!, Mar 30, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
    Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Personally I don’t have Young and Stroud as similar talents and don’t see Young as having injury concerns like Stingley’s lisfranc.

rfrocket, raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  20. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

This is for all the ones that wanted Lamar…..

Delusion

cmoak1982 and raining threes like this.