1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Texas Monthly]: Ultimate Texas Brand Bracket

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Mar 28, 2023.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

#1 Dr of Dunk, Mar 28, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

pretty sure many of those aren't originally texan. also dr pepper shouldve made the ecf

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Chilis, Gamestop, American Airlines, JC Penny, ATT, Ford and Chevy Trucks are all from Texas?

Dell should have beat Schlitterbahn, come on.

Agree, Dr. Pepper should have beat Blue Bell, especially after the listeria hysteria.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Chilis, Gamestop, AA, JC Penney, and AT&T headquarters are in the DFW area, so yes, despite what you think, Texas! :D So is Dr Pepper. And if you have AT&T, maybe they should've thrown Exxon in there, too.

It would've been funny if Big Red and Dr Pepper went head-to-head since they're both owned by Keurig Dr Pepper. I don't understand the Ford/Chevy Trucks thing as being a Texas brand. Maybe I'm missing something.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Southwest...seriously?

Aside from them, that's a pretty sound Elite 8 as far as I can see. Shipley should have been a 3 seed, they had no chance up against Whataburger in the Sweet 16, but I think they upset DQ.

6. Xerobull

So it’s any company with its HQ in Texas? Why isn’t Toyota on the list?

Also, doesn’t a Chicago-based company own Whataburger now?

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Heck if I know - that's the only link I could see with all these names. Still not sure about the Chevy/Texas truck thing. Toyota's headquarters is in Japan. Only their North American headquarters is in the DFW area (Plano). Whataburger is Chicago-owned now, but their headquarters is in San Antonio.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

these are mostly national brands that I barely associate with texas, if at all

DonnyMost likes this.
  9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Ford is built "Texas Tough" and has a King Ranch trim. I guess there are some Chevy dealers in Texas.

10. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

academy > buccess

boomboom, toby and Xerobull like this.
  11. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I had to google to figure out what Magnolia (1) was.

Hopefully Nokona can make a play-in game next year. The elite 8 is pretty darn elite.

ATXNekko likes this.
  12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think H-E-B is grossly overrated and frankly I don't understand all the hype. Just great marketing, much like Buc-ce's. I actually prefer Kroger.

[ducks for cover]

toby and heypartner like this.
  13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Considering HEB just made it up here to the DFW area recently (unless you count the ones on the far outskirts), take what I say with a grain of salt. I used to say the same thing, and generally I agree it's pretty much just another grocery store to me. But they've done a better job with their curbside pickup than Walmart, Kroger, Tom Thumb, Market Street, etc. around me. I'm never there more than 5 minutes for an order pickup no matter when I go, it seems. Most people pretty much think the Krogers around here are garbage most of the time and mismanaged. HEB also seems to have better selection including their store brands. If you're into buying their store brands, you'll probably favor them. I alway said what they sell is the same thing everybody else sells for 95% of what I buy.

They're slightly more expensive online than Walmart, but I know they jack up their curbside pickup/online prices by about 3%, I believe, but I'm cool with that to just go, get my stuff, and be on my way with the rest of my day. I'm a bit of an H-E-B convert, but not a cultist yet.

As for Buc-ee's, I'm just happy to be able to go into a bathroom where I don't feel like I have to wear a hazmat suit before going in while on a long drive. That's about the only thing I appreciate Buc-ee's for. lol.

My turn : Whataburger is overrated. When I was growing up, nobody talked about Whataburger. When the hell did this Whataburger love start?

Xerobull likes this.
  14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Right? I don't think most people even know those brands originated in Texas.

I think the one that the most people would know originated in Texas is actually Shiner.

15. toby

toby Member

Criminal. Blue Bell should win every time. HEB is fine, don't get me wrong, but they should not win.

The correct results: 1) Blue bell 2) Whataburger 3) HEB

boomboom likes this.
  16. Xerobull

Agree, for in-person I vastly prefer Kroger.

+1

For pickup (or delivery) HEB kills the competition. My wife fired Kroger and we use HEB now for home delivery.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I am a certified b**** when it comes to public bathrooms. The things i have seen in South/South East Asia/China/Africa/South America....

18. CCorn

CCorn Member

Dr. Pepper never killed anyone. Well, if you exclude diabetes.

19. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

No Turkey Leg Hut?

Xerobull likes this.
  20. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

HEB Mexican Hot Chocolate Ice Cream > Anything Blue Bell