1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, I took the plunge and reserved a Chevy Bolt EUV this past weekend. I think it is finishing up production and should be delivered in 2-3 weeks or so. It will be my first EV so we'll see how it goes.

2. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Did you have to pay above MSRP or have forced dealer add-ons?

ramotadab likes this.
  3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, no add ons. Though they may technically try that when it comes time to pick the car up because all I've done so far is pay the $1000 deposit to hold it for me. But he quoted me the drive out price over the phone and it didn't have any add ons, so they better not try and a bait and switch when I get there.

ramotadab and jchu14 like this.
  4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Weird. I had just watched a video of this when you posted that. lol. Here you go - they even drove it upside-down... among other things. lol :

Invisible Fan, Sajan and KingCheetah like this.
  5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Good thing it’s under warranty.

6. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

If they do, complain directly to GM. They'll resolve this in your favor if the dealer tries to pull a fast one.

ramotadab likes this.
  7. jchu14

FYI, IRS said they will release EV tax credit guidance next week. This may or may not impact the Bolt EUV's qualifying credit.

https://www.eenews.net/articles/treasury-to-release-ev-tax-credit-guidance-next-week/

ramotadab and RunninRaven like this.
  8. jchu14

double post. deleted

9. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

What is monopoly and corruption for $200

11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Well, it's better than outlawing EVs as some Republicans want to do.

B-Bob likes this.
  12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

haha backasswards state

13. jchu14

I think it's fair to charge EV/PHEV owners some fees to recoup the gasoline excise tax, but $200 seems too steep. It should scale with either weight of the vehicle or miles traveled per year.

The current short fall is not due to EVs but due to fleetwide increase in efficiency and lack of tax increase due to inflation. The last time state gas tax increased was in 1991 and federal tax in 1993. The tax gas should've been a percentage of the fuel price, not a flat number.

ElPigto likes this.
  14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

These vehicles use the roads so there should be some way to recoup the costs.

https://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/fin/reporting/distribution-coin-chart.pdf

I know that it's likely being made a political topic, but it really shouldn't be. Roadway maintenance is critical and the states should be able to capture the loss in revenue somehow, especially when the EV fleet gets larger and larger.

ramotadab and Sajan like this.
  15. rimrocker

Or, we could move more freight (and people) by train, thus saving wear and tear on the roads. I don't drive fast enough to be in the fast lane all the time, but damn if I want to ride in the 18-wheeler beat-up slow lane.

16. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Would be nice, but this region is resistant to it. Didn't the high speed train from Houston to Dallas project fall apart?

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

About the gas tax.... In some states, they want to monitor how many miles you drive and tax you based off of that, under the guise of eliminating gas taxes, but making EVs pay their fair share. How about, no.

Not only that, but my state (Pa) has one of, if not the highest, gas taxes in the country. No way they will eliminate it. They raise it every time gas prices creep lower. Yet, somehow, we have some of the worst roads in the country...

19. rimrocker

Renewable energy sources in the US have crossed the 20% threshold with the gains coming at the expense of coal. Some states are already north of 50%.

20. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Biggest issue is that the federal gas tax hasn't been increased since 1993. States can increase their share of the gas tax all they want and they still can't close the gap.

A Mileage tax is inevitable. I suspect when you renew your registration, you'll have to report current mileage and they'll just calculate the number of miles from the previous year and build in the fee into your yearly registration.

ramotadab and Two Sandwiches like this.