1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic # to the guaranteed best odds for #1

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Mar 24, 2023.

1. Rokman

Rokman Member

If they get the #1 pick they need to reward Silas with a 3 year extension . . . . . And then fire him halfway through the first season of the Rockets have a losing record. Hey, he's getting paid for 3 years he shouldn't be butt hurt.

jayfree likes this.
  2. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

We'll get our 14% shot almost no matter what we do. Charlotte has 25 wins in the 4 slot. Doesn't really matter if we win a few etc., end result will be the same. Interestingly there is a small chance we benefit if we beat the Nets on the 29th.

don grahamleone, jayfree and Easy like this.
  3. BreakYoSelfFool

May seem like a small chance, but we want the Nets to lose out to get our best odds of receiving the #1 pick. Brooklyn could still finish with the 9th worst record in the league, maybe even better if the Trail Blazers, Wizards, or Pacers win out somehow. That comes out to an extra 4.5% chance for the 1st pick & over 20% more for a top 4 pick.

These numbers sound much better to me:
    18.5% chance of #1
    36.7% Top 2
    54.6% Top 3
    72.3% Top 4

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The Nets are too good to lose out, they will be in the playoffs.

DD

5. BreakYoSelfFool

[​IMG]

Thanks DD!!!

I don't think the Nets will win in the Play-in vs Hawks, Raptors, or Bulls.

i3artow i3aller and topfive like this.
  6. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

The Pistons and Wizards are the only two teams in the East with a worst record over the last 10 games. The Nets definitely have a chance of missing the playoffs.

7. DaDakota

I do what I can.

:)

DD

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

They are unlikely to lose out the rest of the games. But it's very possible that they will miss the playoffs by losing two games in the play-in and end up in the lottery.

10. DaDakota

Nope not a chance, they are GUARANTEED to be in the playoffs.

;)

DD

danoman and Williamson like this.
  11. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

DD be like...... "I love you too random citizen"

You're an inspiration to us all!! ;)

Go Rockets!!!

jayfree and i3artow i3aller like this.
  12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Portland sat Dame, Simmons, Nurk and Grant the other night. They started out looking to contend, it didn’t work out, now they’ve pivoted to the tank, and they could finish as low as 5th worst. You gotta respect the decisiveness. They did it last year too. Just a blatant tank job when it was clear they weren’t gonna be competitive.

we didn’t suffer through a painful season to see it get Lovie Smithed. Let’s not be stupid. Let’s get to the offseason in shame, lick our wounds and right the ship. But let’s not make it harder by pretending with 7 games left that playing our best players to win games is good for the franchise. Two of these last games are against tanking teams.

#52 Aruba77, Mar 27, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
    clos4life, Gimmmethemike and jayfree like this.
  13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Relax. The magic # is down to 1. That means we only needs to lose just one more game (or Charlotte to win one more game) we are guaranteed to have the highest odds ( a whopping 14%!) to get the #1 pick.

burlesk likes this.
  14. topfive

topfive CF OG

Pops and Dwane Casey are taking the tried-and-true offensive approach to tanking.

Silas the Innovator is going for the seldom-used defensive tank method.

jayfree and daywalker02 like this.
  15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

How about the Nets, Heat, Suns, and Knicks being ahead of the Clippers? I'd like them to stay ahead. I thought the floor on the Clippers pick was 22, but the Knicks, Suns, and Nets are choking. Now 23 may be the floor.

I don't mind the Nets losing as long as the Clippers also lose. The #11 through #23 picks are only separated by 3.5 games with about 6-8 games left in the season for teams. So the possibility of that Clippers pick being another lottery or near-lottery pick is tantalizing, and if not in the lottery, there are no swap-protections as it's a pick, not a pick-swap.

The problem is that pretty much everybody in the middle of the draft right now is playing .500 ball, so these next few games are going to be nuts.

Easy likes this.
  16. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm with DD here. Even if they fall into the play in, the only team I really see realistically beating them in Brooklyn are the Hawks. I don't think the Raptors or the Bulls can go on the road and win that game. In which case, they will be at least the 8th seed.

17. jayfree

jayfree Member

Best odds secured

18. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I can't believe many of y'all were worried about this.

19. clos4life

clos4life Member

I still wanna beat Detroit. It's a point of honor to be the worst team 3 years in a row for me. I wanna go from literal worst to literal best.

Gimmmethemike likes this.
  20. jayfree

jayfree Member

I also want the worst record only because I have this eerie feeling this is the year for the worst team to get the #1

BamBam likes this.