1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Save Yuli

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Orangecru$h, Mar 4, 2023.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Didn't Omar Vizquel still have gold glove caliber defense at Yuli's age...? We trotted old man Biggio every day at 2nd.... and Carlos Lee play multiple positions... well... nevermind...

2. Major

Major Member

They didn't trade 12 years of either - they were free agents multiple times during that period. If they had stayed with the Rockets, they could have left; if the Rockets wanted them back, they had opportunities to sign them.

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

This whole conversation has me remembering us sitting around the table in early 2000 at a Clutchfans (Clutchcity.net?) gathering with Clutch and RM95. Back when you went by shanna on the board. I bet we were having a similar conversation back then.

I think if you look back at when those guys were free agents, and what the Rockets' cap situation was at the time, and what the roster needs were at the time, you might see that it never matched up. And Cassell/Horry may have not wanted to sign with a team that traded them away (for Horry, traded him away twice). It's a sliding doors moment where the team would have looked different and behaved differently if they didn't make the Barkley move. For one, they likely never sign Quitten with Horry at forward and Cassell at point. Maybe Clyde sticks around instead of becoming coach at UH. Who knows?

Major likes this.
  4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Since we are going down memory lane, we didn't need Barkley. We just needed someone that could make Kemp pay for playing illegal defense. Willis would have been enough, but if I remember correctly, Willis only signed because of Barkley.

Dream/Willis/
    Willis/Horry
    Horry/Elie
    Drexler/Cassell
    Cassell/Smith

5. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Or help Kemp get arrested for the same stuff that got John Lucas kicked out of the league...

6. Orangecru$h

Orangecru$h Member

Curse of the Bambino- BoSox 86 years
    Curse of the Billy Goat - Cubs 71 years
    Curse of the Round Mound - Rockets- ongoing 26+ Years
    Curse of La Piña - ?? (Years)

"Don't ever underestimate the heart of a champion"

Have we lost our heart? Has the culture changed? Has what made us a champion forever gone? Are the Yankees rejoicing?

In a sport where superstition runs rampant, the last thing we need is to change our MO.

Cards did the right thing and signed Pujol for his final year, a farewell tour, and tickets skyrocketed for opening day and end of the season home games. A resounding success.

Not the Astros. Yet, there are several on the roster less deserving than Yuli…

What will be consequences? Already Altuve is out for 2 months.. :mad:

Never, Never, Leave your Wingman…

7. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Why are you allowed to start threads, smh

8. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

You better come clutch with Yuli threads after every loss.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

stop posting.

Bregatron likes this.
  10. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I understand needing to be disciplined and not nostalgic when making player personnel decisions, BUT, I question whether we improperly analyzed what Yuli had in the tank. He was the 2021 AL batting champion. He had a fantastic post-season in 2022. Did we overemphasize his underwhelming 2022 regular season and look past all the positives? Did we place no value on his leadership and championship credentials?

What burns me up is that we could have had him for cheap -- he signed an inexpensive minor league contract with Miami. So this wasn't a financial issue. Maybe the thinking was that Abreu is the everyday first baseman and we didn't think Yuli could play anywhere else... and there weren't enough DH at bats available with Brantley/Yordan needing to fill time there. But just for postseason value alone, Yuli is a great player to have on the team. He rises to the occasion when the stakes are the highest -- which is what wins postseason games.

11. Radricky

Radricky Member

This is an all time bad thread.

Bregatron and Marshall Bryant like this.
  12. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

We will never get over losing Keuchel, our ace

How can we possibly replace Springer, he is the heart of the club

Just pay Cole whatever it takes, we can’t win without him

Give Correa 10 years, we can’t replace his play or his leadership, just pay him damnit

And yet

All we do is win win win no matter what

GTFOH with this thread

13. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Your thread starting privileges need to be revoked. You ******* CRACKHEAD.

14. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

Had to do a double take. Thought I was on an Astros FB fan page for a second...

15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I am sad Yuli got old.

I am sad the best decision was let him go.

I am sad he decided to keep playing on another team, despite no longer being even an average player.

I am THRILLED he is not on the 2023 roster.

I hope he realizes he is no longer a player and rejoins the team in some off-field capacity.

Bobbythegreat and Wulaw Horn like this.
  16. Yordan The Great

I agree, should be banned.

17. Pipedream

Pipedream Contributing Member

Logic checks out, Ruth hit 665 homeruns after he was traded to the Yankees = Gurriel lock for 665 homeruns as a Marlin.

cmlmel77 and Tomstro like this.
  18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I was gonna make a parody thread of all these random Yuli threads but then I remembered I already did it and like 3 people understood the joke so good night and have a great week everyone!! HashtagSaveYuli HashtagCubanYuliLivesMatter HashtagPineapplesAreNotJustForSwingersAnymore

20. Buck Turgidson

Hot Houston Pineapple Swinger?

MadMax likes this.