1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022/23 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by dkamberi25, Jul 26, 2022.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I think, tactically, he's a very good coach. But it's way more than that. He's just never going to be somewhere more than 2 or 3 years. Once things go south, he will not hesitate to thrown everyone under the bus except himself.

daywalker02 likes this.
  2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

As a Chelsea fan, I got quite accustomed to Tuchel's ways for the time he was with us. He will bleed for you when he's with you, but he's very stubborn and has a tongue with a razor's edge. I can definitely see how some of his condescending mannerisms can rub ownership the wrong way. He's a brilliant tactician, and understands how to win trophies perhaps better than almost anyone in the game, but he struggles when it comes to the non-football related duties of a manager. I do think going back to Germany is the right move for him. Real Madrid just didn't feel like the right fit IMO. He wouldn't have done well with all the public and media maneuvering they expect from their managers. He's almost too much of a straight shooter, and I think he would have gotten frustrated with all the politics he would have needed to play there.

AroundTheWorld, daywalker02 and Raz like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I think this part is extremely overstated.
    If you check the coaching history of the top clubs since 2000, the average tenure is like 2years. Someone staying for more than 3-4yrs barely ever happens nowadays.

5. leroy

Is it though? I think it’s more a construct of some particular clubs. It’s been the m.o. for clubs like Bayern, Chelsea and PSG…but then you have City and Liverpool as examples of the opposite. Some clubs want the constant turnover and some crave the stability.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The next few weeks of football should be really interesting. Looking forward to it.

Conte now gone as well, wonder if they will try to scoop up Nagelsmann quickly. Could save Bayern a lot of money.

Yung-T likes this.
  7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

The twitter comments are pretty funny to me, the international fans are absolutely in love with Nagelsmann and everyone wants him for their club.

Shows how opinion changes when people only see select CL games instead of the weekly league.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Germany looking good today.

9. Raz

Raz Member

This time a bit more generous.

Tuchel really has to work on setplays for counter-attacks. They were already terrible under Nagelsmann, today the whole offense gave away so many opportunities to create easy chances.

#369 Raz, Apr 1, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
    AroundTheWorld likes this.
  10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Lots of room for improvement, but overall, we will do much better with Tuchel at the helm than with Nagelsmann.

Tuchel is the right coach at the right time for Bayern.

Sané does really good things, but he gives the ball away too easily too many times. He's like a turnover machine.

Not sure what's up with Mané and whether Tuchel will be able to fix him. Is it possible that he is really a few years older?

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'd like to hear some of the Bayern fans' opinions on what they think about Nagelsmann and if he'd be a good fit for Chelsea. I've been very patient with Potter, and really wanted him to succeed, but it was obvious he was in over his head. This latest match against Aston Villa was an affront on tactical football. He was literally throwing darts at the board hoping something would catch on, to the point where you literally had players like Reece James and Loftus-Cheek running over to the sideline in open play asking him where the hell they were supposed to be playing. Just an absolute head**** of a performance, and an indication that he was a dead man walking.

I know Nagelsmann prefers a more direct style of play, which would fit Enzo and Kovacic like a glove. But can he work with 3 ATB with wingbacks? What are his preferences regarding attacking wings and strikers? Does he prefer a false 9 or can he work with a traditional striker? Any insight would be appreciated!

ramotadab likes this.
  12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

He would be better than Potter, but worse than Tuchel.

13. leroy

Lampard back in for Chelsea for at least the rest of the season. If anything, hopefully it's good for Christian Pulisic. I don't see it changing much for them otherwise. They are who they are.

Good win for United today over Brentford. Back in the top 4 with a game in hand over Spurs who are reeling. Would like more breathing room but I also have a good feeling about winning the Europa League and qualifying anyway.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

15. leroy

City are focused on the CL more than before. I feel like they'd happily sacrifice the EPL title to get the CL monkey off their (and Pep's) backs.

ramotadab likes this.
  16. Raz

Raz Member

Well, ****.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  17. leroy

I think it's City and Napoli in the final, at least based on the brackets. Napoli hasn't been great lately but Milan has been worse and so has Inter. Real is going to take care of Chelsea rather easily...but I don't think they have the firepower to hang with City this year.

But, this is the Champions League and Real are the favorites no matter what. Just like Sevilla in the Europa League...and I'm a United fan.

ramotadab likes this.
  18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Bayern has a history of being slimy and stealing best players from Dortmund and yet they dropped the ball on Halland, the best of them all, when they needed a striker of all players.

lol

ramotadab likes this.
  19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes, but the failure by Brazzo goes even further than that.

Haaland was in Salzburg, right under Bayern's nose. And they let Dortmund steal him.

Brazzo's head has to roll at this point.

Fired Nagelsmann in a panic reaction, after giving him a 5-year contract. Didn't bring in a high quality striker. Alienated Neuer. Alienated Lewandowski. Bought complete duds like Bouna Sarr. Alienated Alaba. Alienated Hermann Gerland.

People internally have been thinking the guy is a snake and pretty useless for a long time already.

Now that Bayern crashed out three years in a row in the German cup, and is very likely to crash out against Man City - someone has to take responsibility, and it should be Brazzo. Buh-bye.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member