1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chapter 5: The Green Revolution Falls

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Mar 8, 2023.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The self create thing is a sword and a shield - poor Jalen, he has to self create all the time.

Because he self creates he's able to launch a high volume of shots and get fancy SSS Twitter honors like "most blahblah by age 22" or whatever.

The down side of his self creation is that he self creates into low percentage shots that are closely guarded, stops the ball and overdribbles as part of his creation, and has basically no drive and kick game to speak of. He seems to ignore open spot up shooters a lot.

Part of that is the Rockets general calamity on offense due to lack of scheme and a PG, but part of that is just him doing the wrong things

2. i3artow i3aller

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

He has tunnel vision on drives. He needs to cut down a lot of those tough shots he takes even when they go in sometimes.

HardenReturns likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fortunately he's nowhere near as bad with the tunnel vision as guys like Christopher or Eason, but it's certainly something he needs to work on.

I think as his court vision and BBIQ improves, he'll be able to stop charging into triple teams or forcing situations that lead to him getting blocked so easily. It's something he's already improved on from last year even. Last season it seemed like not a game went by without him getting blocked at the rim at least once on some BS that never had a chance. This season, it still happens, but much less frequently.

He's still making some progress as a ball handler, so there's hope that in a few years he'll be taking much higher quality shots especially if the team lucks out and manages to draft a legitimate star caliber player like Wemby.

ramotadab and apollo33 like this.
  5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I'm getting very concerned about his defense

Some people say he's passable on-ball and it's the off ball that sucks

I disagree . He's pitiful on both .

It's an effort issue and a technique issue . I wish I could say it was a strength issue and that he was just getting bullied. But , he's not even putting himself in that position

If we are talking about trying to win games next year we can't have a player be this weak of a link . Jabari's rookie season has mirrored greens in that he was trash offensively the first 50 games and picked it up after ASB. The difference is Jabari has at least brought good effort defensively .

I believe the biggest issue is that he's never had to fight for minutes . Meanwhile Jabari has had Tari breathing down his neck along with tate , sengun , and garuba. Bruno was even getting mins

Green hasn't had to fight much . Instead of using JC , Garrison, tate, or Kenyon at the 2 , we play small so we can keep green on the floor.

Per 36 min the players on our team that have less steals are Jabari, Bruno, and kmj . (Not gonna count Hudgins and Darius days )

Per 36 the players on our team that have less blocks are Garrison, ty ty , and Hudgins.

Per 36 the players that have less PF are boban , Gordon, Kaminsky, and Hudgins.

He's not trying hard enough . He's not being held accountable.

For someone as athletic as he is , he really needs to be more engaged . And miss me with those offensive load excuses . He's not getting as much attention as sengun nor kpj.

And also , KMJ was very low on these stats too. If he wants to be a starter he's got to do better on that end

I don't buy that next year is about winning . Not if the plan is unequivocally give green 30+ mins again

NewAge, Jontro, HardenReturns and 2 others like this.
  6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I thought he significantly improved since the all-star break?

7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Green ? On defense ?

Not imo

Corrosion and HardenReturns like this.
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Just want to understand, your main point is that if a high volume scoring 20 year old is not committed to playing consistent defense then the entire project featuring 15 players cannot lead to a winning record unless he first plays defense?

ramotadab likes this.
  9. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I wish I could watch a basketball game and completely ignore half of it, I truly do.

#229 Downtown Sniper, Mar 26, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
    Corrosion likes this.
  10. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

What in the world.

Saying that, on a Rockets forum no less.

When we're only a years gone from one of the biggest hatchet jobs by the officials in history.

What in the world.

11. fchowd0311

Hmmm. I definitely think he massively improved post all-star break.

12. fchowd0311

The logic here doesn't make sense. Your notion that Green doesn't pass out on drives doesn't effect one's unassisted fgm percentage. A scorer blind of his teammates still can get a lot of his buckets from easy looks created from teammates. You understand this right?

Plenty of poor passing players who still get a larger percentage of their buckets made assisted.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It makes lots of sense - he plays himself into lots if attempts at the rim, good!

But they're heavily contested and as a consequence he's a bad finisher.

In total, Green made just 50.7 percent of his shots at the rim. Among the 172 players in the NBA to take at least 150 shots at the rim this season, he finished 168th. That’s bad, and it largely had to do with his half-court finishing where, per Synergy, he made 45.3 percent.​

14. fchowd0311

I would assume the vast majority of players who take 150+ shots at the rim are going to be big men, lob threat, rim runners, roll men etc.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/greenja05.html

Also basketball reference says it's 60% and 68% last season

15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

No . My point is that he is not committed to playing defense at all

And while I can hold my nose and say that's OK this year . If we plan to turn this tank around next year he will have to improve 1000 percent .

And yes . For the team to win everyone has to play defense.

Even James Harden couldn't take us past the first round until he focused more on defense
    And Harden was.otherworldly on offense and could at least get us to the playoffs .

I realize green has time to get there , and has the tools . But if CF is seriously thinking we are going to be good next year (.500) ish ... and we SHOULD have that expectation then he's got to show massive growth on the defensive end and he really hasn't shown squat

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

High volume scoring is only a good thing if it is efficient. His 53.5% TS% should be an embarrassment. For a comparison, Westbrook in Houston had a TS% of 53.6%.

Don't cheer a chucker, especially when they are one of the most pathetic defenders in the entire league.

I get that you have a blind spot for Green, but he's got a LONG way to go before he's even a net zero player. Right now he's not anywhere close to being a winning player.

Corrosion likes this.
  17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Last two years kpj has a TS% of even less than green didnt hear u call him a chucker back then. Always got to find new ways to sht on green when he's clearly showing improvement, what's new.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Is that just your way of saying "Yes, Green's TS% is considerably lower than KPJ's this season"?

Look kid, I understand that you are going to simp for your man, but it's just embarrassing. Accept that his game has significant flaws without throwing a b**** fit.

You say he's "clearly showing improvement"....but his efficiency stats disagree. Sure his volume has increased so the points per game go up, but he's doing it to the detriment of the team and he's still the most embarrassing defensive player on the roster and one of the worst in the entire league.

You simply have to be honest about things. Take the homer glasses off and get up off your knees.

19. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Green has been a much better defender (IMO) the last 15ish games. Just looks more focused. Most of that improvement is on ball. He is still poorly coached and unfocused off ball.

I was a bit discouraged mid-season but I’m thinking he breaks out in a big way next season.

20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I mean did yall not watch Austin reeves tear him a new one ?