1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I would love to have Jaylen Brown

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LjGarci, Mar 21, 2023.

1. dmoneybangbang

Just a preference of more certainty than uncertainty. However, it's a longshot and there's other targets. I would hope the Rockets are making lots of calls, such as to the Hawks in regards to Dejounte Murray. It'll be an interesting offseason, nevertheless.

2. Ancient Moabite

I see where you coming from, and only if Brown wants out and lists Rockets as one of his teams is the only way I would get involved

Off-season is going to be sort of weak(outside of draft) interest wise unless players like Brown and whoever else on that level or higher request to be traded

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Perfect, if we're assembling a team without centers, passers, or post defense.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya Harden definitely is a horrible passer.

Also wouldn't this hypnotical include a 7'4" big with great athleticism and lateral quickness for his size joining the team?

Honestly a line up of

Harden
    Green
    Brown or Bridges
    Bari
    Wemby

is a playoff stetting 5 as long as Wemby isn't a significant disappointment.

Also that is an ultimate 5 out offense right there.

34to11 likes this.
  6. i3artow i3aller

TimDuncanDonaut and J.R. like this.
  7. i3artow i3aller

8. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Rockets would have to trade most there picks all there picks and most there talent. Segun, Green and Brown would be really nice. Doubt Celtics would part ways, they will keep him in Boston after there first ring this year.

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Jabari would be the only player outside of Green and maybe Sengun Celtics would even have a conversation about it without laughing.

Arnel likes this.
  10. TheBeastSystem

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't sign Harden (tell him to sign a one year deal with Philly) and save all that cap space for 2024. Then you can sign Jaylen Brown without giving up assets

Little Bit likes this.
  12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

No thanks.

If Brown has interest in coming, you can to dump salary.

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

If we could get Brown for like, Sengun, Tari, Clippers pick, & a Brooklyn pick, I'd do it. But I just don't think Boston is doing that and I don't think Brown is really in a "Harden in OKC" type situation. He's playing 36 minutes per game, for god's sake.

If we trade Green, Jabari, and/or a top 5 pick for him, I'm flipping tables. Brown is good, but he's not 1A in this league good and he's not carrying you to championship contention by himself.

We need to trust the process and not sell the farm for the second star on a contender before we find our #1 guy. That way lies mediocrity.

Arnel likes this.
  14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. Excellent player on the court obviously. He could also mentor Green and maybe even KPJ on how to be a Finals-calibre two-way wing. His defense is great compared to players with the same scoring load. Would be a great influence on them I feel.

I believe Paul Pierce when he says Brown might want to be "the guy". Remember he's president or vice president of the players' union and took a leadership role speaking out during a couple of NBA controversies. I think in his character he would love to be a 1A scorer and on a balanced team I think that's very possible. I'm always happy to give a two-way player a shot, they always impact the score more than the eye test shows.

With Brown, we would have a great lineup to attract a second star and complete the rebuild, good for 40+ wins. I like it a lot on both sides of the ball, great defensive potential for a young team. Gives the young guys an opportunity to explode if they have it in them while we carefully pick out just one more pre-decline max or near-max worthy player.

In this instance of course I'd also be open to adding Harden (would have to dump some salary to make this happen, but possible with a pick or two). Could even go with FVV if it's not too expensive.

Sengun/Garuba/Nerlens Noel?
    Brown/Jabari/Tari/Tate/KJ
    Harden/Green/Christopher/Tyty/Clippers pick

Plus a top 5 pick. Brown gets his own team with one max cap slot still possible, plenty of future picks and a roster that will continue to internally improve for years. Brown is just 26 years old so he has at least 6 good years ahead of him.

BelgianRocketsFan likes this.
  15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

No one player wins a chip alone. No one. You have to build a team.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Absolutely true, which was exactly my point. We have no reason to gut our pool of young talent by trading away top-tier prospects for a guy like Brown.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I want Brown AND Luka. Sengun for Brown and KPJ/Nix for Luka

Luka
    Green
    Brown
    Victor W
    Jabari Jr

Make it happen Morey.

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Green, smith, and kpj for Brown. I think people way overrate green on this board. Maybe he turns it around year 3.

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Wow wow wow hold your horses. Why are we trading so much for Brown? I don't think a trade would ever happen that way. He's an expiring contract and can majorly influence his destination.

The only way we get Brown is if he wants to come to Houston. If he wants to come to Houston, we can threaten to wait one season for him, if anyone can bluff that they have time to be patient it's us. Boston can watch him walk after a lame duck year or accept half price in the meantime. Our biggest risk is teams that have draft capital and can offer him a playoff-calibre roster. He would probably be a great fit and leader on the Spurs, Raptors, Kings, Knicks, Nets, Thunder. Nets strike me as dangerous cause they can offer picks and legit very good players.

Boston is not voluntarily letting that guy go. We're not going to convince them with a trade package unless it guts our assets - which I don't know if Brown is worth if we're saying two of our best prospects and two picks. Brown is a great player, but he is not a proper 1A at least not at this moment. I'm not sure Sengun can't be a slightly worse defender and a slightly better scorer and that's just one of the assets. Tari is flat out a better offensive player than Brown was his first season and highly likely to be a better defender. I know that's how much Celtics value him, but that's not a match for us. We can do better than that, no one will come close to topping that offer to include two legit prospects on rookie contracts and two decent picks. Does Boston even want young players? Tatum is in his prime. I'd rather send the 3 picks with KPJ somewhere else to get an asset the Celtics would love to have. OG Anunoby for example.

I think the only way this works is if Brown agrees to tie their hands and if that happens then the price drops for sure. I don't anticipate much of a negotiation. My only question is can this front office make a good enough case for bringing him here? Brown's handles are similar to Jalen's, these guys are traditional SG's who like to play with a floor general. I think that if we secured a vet PG and a vet C at a total of $20m, then we can make a great pitch to Brown. Brown, Green, Tari, Tate and Jabari are an amazing group of wings. Our bigs are talented but too young. We need a leader at PG.

I don't mind going all in if a 1A superstar becomes available but I'm not convinced Brown is going to get a lot better than what he's been with the Celtics unless he's on a team with a better PG and a more complimentary offense is designed around him. In fact given his ball-handling limitations, a Nuggets or Kings-like offense would suit him really well and could see him take a leap.

#99 Mathloom, Mar 29, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
    OremLK likes this.
  20. OremLK

OremLK Member

Depends on how high you are on Sengun and Tari, right?

I don't think you get a player of Brown's caliber, even on an expiring contract, without giving up some real value.

My point was there's no way we should give up our blue chip assets, which are Green, Jabari, and this year's draft pick. Whether Sengun + Tari + a couple of mid-late picks is too much is debatable, I think, but that's probably the smallest package that Boston even considers.

Which is why this hypothetical trade isn't happening IMO, no matter how much GARM posters might want to get Brown. Boston has a championship contender. They're not just shipping that away unless they're getting a pretty serious return. Being able to legitimately go deep in the playoffs and contend is way too valuable.