1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022/23 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by dkamberi25, Jul 26, 2022.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Coventry? How did that come about?

I was trying to support the MLS but I just can't. Seeing how terrible the Dynamo are and have been for so long...but then seeing Austin FC lose to literally a short-handed (they had 3 subs available) amateur side from freaking Haiti in the CONCACAF Champions League was it for me. That's a league wide embarrassment. I don't care what happens in the other games. That should never happen.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

I'm with you on MLS...I've tried, oh how I've tried.

I've always loved national team play, but have never really gotten into club play. A buddy of mine is a huge Crystal Palace fan, and has been trying to get me to adopt them. It'll be easier now that I can pretty much watch every match via streaming, either live or on replay. I'm not about to bandwaggon onto one of the huge clubs, that'd be like suddenly becoming a Yankees fan. Who are your teams?

3. leroy

If you like finishing in 12th place every season, Crystal Palace is your team. Never quite good enough to challenge for one of the European spots but also never quite bad enough to get relegated. Though they're only 5 points out of the relegation zone now and haven't won a game in 2023. Your friend is either from South London or just weird. Not sure how much you know about the set up, but the ultimate goal is to of course win the league...but the real goal is to get into the top 4 so that you qualify to play in the Champions League which is very financially lucrative. 5th place typically goes to the Europa League. Then there's the Europa Conference League for the 6th place team (assuming the League Cup winner qualifies for a better tournament). It can get a bit confusing.

I've been a Manchester United fan since the early 1990's. They had a group of players that was enjoyable to watch, including 2 of my favorite players of all time...Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes. Before that I was actually an Ajax (Amsterdam) fan. I was schooled in the Dutch Total Football ways as a kid and they were the epitome of that.

My suggestion is to watch a bunch of games. See if there's a team that plays to a style that is enjoyable. You might find you like Leeds United who currently starts 3 Americans. Crystal Palace is like the Minnesota Timberwolves. You forget they exist for long stretches because they're never really that good but rarely that bad, either. They're just kind of there and you only recognize them when they play the Rockets. But they do have a cool name.

ramotadab, Raz and Buck Turgidson like this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Both, actually.

Thanks for the reminder on Leeds, I actually have watched a couple of their matches semi-recently. Not a bad choice.

Arsenal and Ajax have the coolest names in Euro soccer, btw.

ramotadab and leroy like this.
  5. Aware

Aware Member

Yep, Napoli is the team this season

People better get used to pronouncing Kvaratskhelia because he's the next big transfer.
    Same with Osimhen

ramotadab likes this.
  6. Raz

Raz Member

They look stunning, but haven't ever made the Quarters in the CL before and thus lack experience on the biggest stage. Don't think they'd be favoured having to travel to Munich.

7. leroy

F*** Arse nal.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  8. Raz

Raz Member

Sheik elimination tour continues.

Once again all good teams on one side of the bracket. Real/Chelsea vs. Shity/Bayern in the semis.

JumpMan and Yung-T like this.
  9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Tough draw, City seem in great shape atm. But I feel like we have one of the best prepared defenses against Haaland with our three CB system.

AroundTheWorld and Raz like this.
  10. leroy

It seems they've transitioned their focus to the CL this time around. I don't think they've given up catching Arsenal but seems like Pep is rotating more for EPL games, especially KDB. It will be a very interesting matchup.

Based on the bracket and current form, I'd be shocked if Napoli isn't in the final.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

you jinxed it lol

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yung-T likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The takeaway shouldn't be his net worth but his smart business decisions, interests into research.

Some footballers are normal guys, smart dudes.

Özil somewhere mentioned.

15. Buck Turgidson

No Euro, but this is pretty awesome:

ramotadab likes this.
  16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

That would be wild, things heating up out of nowhere.

17. leroy

Why? Is the expectation really that they win the Bundesliga in January every year or it's a failure? Or did something else happen?

ramotadab likes this.
  18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Tuchel replacing Nagelsmann confirmed.

I think I like it.

Yung-T likes this.
  19. leroy

Does Timmy Tickels really get to walk into a CL title chance again?

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Hopefully :cool:

Still need to beat Man City and Real and Napoli.

ramotadab and Yung-T like this.