1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jahidi White

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dharocks, Jul 26, 2004.

1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I'm kind of surprised no one's suggested this, but what about Jahidi White as a backup center? Charlotte picked him up in the expansion draft, but I don't think he's in their longterm plans with Okafor on board. I believe they'd be very willing to dealing him to us for a second round pick and the TE. If a Seattle trade for Antonio Daniels doesn't work out (or if we send Spoon and Griffin to Seattle instead of the TE) I think that would be a good deal for us.

Jahidi's huge; even though he's short for a 5, he's definately not "undersized". He's a good shotblocker/rebounder, and would be a great contrast to Yao off the bench. Offensively, he's limited, but he can set a mean pick and gets points on putbacks.

Of course, if we get Booth and Daniels from Seattle the point is moot, but if we sign a FA like James or Jones, I definately think the Rockets should look to trade for White. He only has one year left on his deal.

2. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Hmmm... well, what I don't like about Jahidi is that he's kind of a walking personal foul (he averaged 2.8 fouls in only 14 mpg! :eek: ), and he's always been like that. However, the man does hustle and he does rebound, and he plays real tough D in the post, no doubt. I'm down for giving him a shot if we don't get Booth or James in a trade for Daniels, definately. He IS an expiring contract, after all. :)

3. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

I am all for it IF we can get him cheaply..

What intrigues me about the Bobcats is that they currently have 6 players that can play center on their team (according to Yahoo Sports).

Drobnjak- C
    Brezec- C
    Ely- FC
    Okafor- FC
    White- C
    Jamal Sampson- C

4. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

White's decent but (since the Bobcats aren't interested in Spoon) I wonder how much White's $5.9m salary for the TE is going to cause rioting in the streets....

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

What if he came for the TE and Bobs 'took back' Pike, creating a new, tho smaller TE.

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I don't want White and his contract, period. There are players out there that can do the same production at half the cost.

7. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

You do remember Adonal Foyle's contract, right?

White has ONE year left at that price. Yeah, I'd rather get Clark at half the price too, but if something like that doesn't work out, getting White is hardly a bad last resort.

8. dxb21

dxb21 New Member

9. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

???
    We just had John Amechi, and people still think players like this are worth bringing in?

Evan

10. choujie

choujie Member

White at 5.9 mil is a lot worse than Bateer at 700,000. Both are physical and both are fouling machines. White can rebound, Bateer can shoot, but White is way too expensive.

11. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Only thing that comes to mind when I hear the name "Jahidi White" is when Francis pulled a Vince Carter and basically jumped over him into a slam dunk.

12. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

It barely makes a difference considering his contract expires after this coming season. And considering that Bateer makes White look like Shaq.

13. gucci888

Ya I know about Foyle's contract, but that still doesn't make me want to pay White his money.

But I didn't know he only had one year left on his contract, it does make it a little better. But since he is w/ the Bobcats and they don't want to take on any bad contracts, we would most likely have to use the part of the TE, right? In that case, I would still pass.

14. paxil

paxil Contributing Member

If you wanna a walking personal foul for half of the money, you can sign bateer. They are the same type of player but Bateer is half priced because he is made in China.

15. paxil

When did Bateer faced up with White? Probably back in 2001-2002 season when Bateer is in Denver and White is in Washington. Did you keep the stats or just pure speculation?

16. choujie

choujie Member

Whitle won't look like Shaq against Bateer, or any center in NBA. None of those two is good for Rockets. 5.9mil is a lot compare to 700000, even though it's just for one year. Otherwise why would Rockets get rid of Rice for a scrub and a TE while throwing draft picks last year?

17. paxil

18. gucci888

Has Lorenzen Wright been signed yet?

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Yes...long ago, years ago. Overpaid.

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Tiger's got game. Loren? Nope.