1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Climate Change

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ItsMyFault, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Buck Turgidson

1. the "world" is not doomed

2. no one is seriously advocating draconian measures (whatever that means...or whatever that means to YOU I guess)

3. you are, and continue to be, one of the single worst sources of information on the entire internet

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

tinman and basso like this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That’s great and I might be skiing at Tahoe in May. Even with this record Year it still doesn’t come close to filling back the reservoirs after decades of drought.

tinman likes this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

nature has provided humanity with an amazing energy source- dense, portable, reliable, plentiful, cheap, storable fossil fuels- that when burned releases C02 that causes plant life to flourish

and yet we've allowed anti-human marxists to convince people they will destroy the planet if we use it

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If Vivek can solve the nuclear waste problem, I'm willing to take the nuclear meltdown risk.

Clever. The power needed to charge an iPhone is immaterial, but if it works in phones you can then expand to water heaters, smart thermostats, EVs, and refrigerators.

Nah, they just need weather forecasts and data on wind and solar farm capacity to drive a model to predict how much solar and wind electricity will be produced in your ISO or utility in maybe 1 hour increments. Wind and solar always dispatch first because they have no variable costs, so how much brown power is out there doesn't even matter. The phone looks at that profile and some algorithm says charging in the next two hours won't be green, but then it will be green for the next 4 hours, so wait till then. Or whatever.

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

These messengers of the apocalypse are so ridiculous.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Well the worlds leading scientists didn't seem to work with you right wingers so you are left with Al Franken's audition to take over The Daily Show.

Denying climate change because severe winter storms have created more snow than normal this year is about as dumb as you guys could possibly make yourselves look. I mean really elementary level ignorance. Especially for someone who claims to live in Florida of all places.

In 50 years I hope you are right. Right now... all the evidence points to your fantastical thinking being dangerously ignorant... even to your own detriment.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Messengers of the apocalypse have existed since the beginning of mankind.

And the threat of the apocalypse has always primarily served them for their own personal power grab.

basso likes this.
  13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Also a trillion dollar industry( oil and gas) would rather have fools like you exist than not so they can sustain the product line they have perfected the economy of scale in that maximizes their return on investment.

dobro1229 likes this.
  14. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except that a global scientific community isn't the same as a deranged preacher claiming to speak with angels.

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The "scientific consensus" isn't as clear as the preachers of the apocalypse are trying to make you believe.

16. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1965 called.

17. basso

Supporting Member

she does not seem that deranged.

mtbrays likes this.
  18. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I've heard that before. I still don't think modern apocalyptic preachers are comparable to prehistoric humans who thought the sun would devour them if they didn't sacrifice people each morning or a cult leader who claimed to have a direct line to God that only he could interpret.

dobro1229 likes this.
  19. cur.ve

cur.ve Contributing Member

Scientists are in agreement - a quick Google search can debunk alternative views as being in a very small minority where their research isn’t peer reviewed or is backed by fossil fuel interests.

It’s hard to pinpoint climate change as the culprit for any single storm, but generally, scientists are starting to run more models that points to higher probabilities of “extreme” weather events. Heat waves >> forest fires and droughts are very highly correlated to rising temperatures. Hurricanes, storms, snow.. they’re harder to equate but as temperatures increase (and sea levels rise as we’ve already past points of no return for some
    arctic ice shelves) there is more moisture that creates bigger and bigger storms.

We can ignore what’s around us and shoot the messengers as agents of some greater conspiracies — but at an individual level, seeing my family deal with floods in Houston — which occurred when I was growing up in Alief in the 90s, but they’re more frequent and cause greater damage now; and air filters and gas masks are now annual routines for us in California; I was Europe last summer and the heat wave was horrible because their infrastructure — at least in Paris where everything is stone, no trees, no AC.. — is not at all prepared for regular hot summers with temps in the 90s; southern Europe is seeing annual wildfires - parts of Spain is basically non livable in August; starting to see food prices go up.. we’ll start seeing insurance rates go up too.

Migration, water shortage.. everything is related to climate.

And even if it’s all a hoax, can we afford to take the chance? And if we take it seriously, are the solutions that bad? I’m
    - eating less beef (less methane, but also better for my health), cutting this down to once every two weeks
    - installing solar on the house; getting some tax credits

but individuals can only do so much; Cutting down fossil fuels and electrifying everything are the big challenges; personally I’m pretty skeptical that we can get out of this situation — we are blowing past the 1.5C limit and it looks like even w all the pledges we are blowing past the 2C limit too. Human beings are just too short-term animals to consider long term costs.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  20. basso

Supporting Member

scientists were in agreement on the origins of covid, and the efficacy of mRNA vaccines.

...until they weren't. true science is never settled.

AroundTheWorld likes this.