1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you moved to a different country, where would it be & why live there?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Sep 24, 2020.

1. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

While it is true that happiest doesn't necessarily mean best, in this case I think it does.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Italy, Spain, Portugal

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I was there as a Teen (highschool), not work. I came back to Texas for college. I've been back since.....and missing the Alps.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

There and Portugal are the places I would like to go next in Europe. I have been to most places at this point besides Luxenborg Monaco Malta San Marino. If I can I would go there too though ha

Uprising likes this.
  5. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Gotcha. :).

6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Portugal's cool. I really liked some of the smaller places in the north, like Braga and Viana do Castelo. The food is top notch. I liked the Brazilian steak options and the Francesinha I had in Braga was awesome.
    [​IMG]

peleincubus likes this.
  7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

The Finnish Secret to Happiness? Knowing When You Have Enough.
    The Nordic nation has been ranked the happiest country on earth for six consecutive years. But when you talk to individual Finns, the reality is a bit more complicated.

By Penelope Colston

Photographs by Jake Michaels

• April 1, 2023
    The Bright Side is a series about how optimism works in our minds and affects the world around us.

On March 20, the United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network released its annual World Happiness Report, which rates well-being in countries around the world. For the sixth year in a row, Finland was ranked at the very top.

But Finns themselves say the ranking points to a more complex reality.

“I wouldn’t say that I consider us very happy,” said Nina Hansen, 58, a high school English teacher from Kokkola, a midsize city on Finland’s west coast. “I’m a little suspicious of that word, actually.”

Ms. Hansen was one of more than a dozen Finns we spoke to — including a Zimbabwean immigrant, a folk metal violinist, a former Olympian and a retired dairy farmer — about what, supposedly, makes Finland so happy. Our subjects ranged in age from 13 to 88 and represented a variety of genders, sexual orientations, ethnic backgrounds and professions. They came from Kokkola as well as the capital, Helsinki; Turku, a city on the southwestern coast; and three villages in southern, eastern and western Finland.

While people praised Finland’s strong social safety net and spoke glowingly of the psychological benefits of nature and the personal joys of sports or music, they also talked about guilt, anxiety and loneliness. Rather than “happy,” they were more likely to characterize Finns as “quite gloomy,” “a little moody” or not given to unnecessary smiling.

Many also shared concerns about threats to their way of life, including possible gains by a far-right party in the country’s elections in April, the war in Ukraine and a tense relationship with Russia, which could worsen now that Finland is set to join NATO.

It turns out even the happiest people in the world aren’t that happy. But they are something more like content.

• Final hours: All of the Times, all in one subscription.
    $1 a week for your first year.

Finns derive satisfaction from leading sustainable lives and perceive financial success as being able to identify and meet basic needs, Arto O. Salonen, a professor at the University of Eastern Finland who has researched well-being in Finnish society, explained. “In other words,” he wrote in an email, “when you know what is enough, you are happy.”

More at link

8. rimrocker

Here's a Finnish professor talking about the Happiness rankings.

Andre0087 and Xerobull like this.
  9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Seems pretty obvious when you see it in action. Being secure that you will have your basic needs leads to a lot more positive things in life.

[​IMG]

Two other things they do well with over there is being satisfied with what they have and not complaining about everything- see the article I posted above. It comes from a culture shaped by living in freezing temperatures for a good chunk of the year.

Andre0087 likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

San Miguel de Allende or Montevideo

Or other places. I think about this way more often than I should.

AroundTheWorld and Xerobull like this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Fins got that oil money and a trillion dollar sovereign fund, so I doubt many have to worry about putting food on the table if it really came to it.

I'd be more interested on how happy their neighbors, the Swedes, are, which is still pretty high up there. Gotta look up the suicide rankings though. Some people can't do cold and murky weather.

A former colleague of mine married a local from a rural prefecture during covid. He's doing remote work at an IT company and seems pretty settled there. Still learning Japanese though.

Andre0087 likes this.
  12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It's too cold and dark in Finland.

Buck Turgidson and Andre0087 like this.
  13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Depends on my financial situation and priorities.

14. Buck Turgidson

So says the German? Too Dark?

Invisible Fan likes this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Like Buck said, big understatement coming from a German…

IBTL and Buck Turgidson like this.
  17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It's also too cold and dark in Germany for my taste, for half of the year. The dark period is just longer and the days are even shorter in Finland.

Invisible Fan and Buck Turgidson like this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

This game is ludicrous.

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You're thinking of Norge

Invisible Fan and AroundTheWorld like this.
  20. rimrocker

Yeah, but they spend a lot of naked time in saunas.