1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fired Jack Easterby

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by coachbadlee, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm talking about from week to week. I just haven't seen it. Mills isn't consistent enough to win games. We'll probably sneak out another two, maybe three wins at most, but I don't expect a drastic improvement during this season.

Remember, the comment you replied to was in conversation about Lovie Smith only lasting one year.

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

second look at Lovie's legacy?

3. conquistador#11

That's why I'm thankful for Lovie even if he did pull all the shenanigans in that last game.
    The realization that the 'reign of terror' was going to end was when Lovie, around this time last year, alluded that there wasn't going to be Jack on the sidelines or Nick "helping" on the head set.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This will never get old.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

That audio of the live reaction is hilarious.

Doubly so when you realize it's the resident Texans nuthugger station 610.

6. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

The first reaction when they assumed we gave up nothing and actually gained draft equity just brings me back to that hurt.. like how in the world could anyone and everyone see that.. then followed up with what the trade actually was… wow.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

"The Cardinals are trading David Johnson to the Texans... wow, the Texans must be getting picks to take on that bad contract... wait, they're giving up WHO???"

The PTSD is real.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I almost feel bad for the guy. Nobody likes him.

9. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Almost…

10. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I don't. Easterby fired a lot of good people and worse. Go ask Jamey Rootes' family what they think of Easterby.

Nook, Joshfast, JamesC and 1 other person like this.
  11. raining threes

They didn't win with Rootes as McNair's righthand man for almost 2 decades. Rootes did help the McNair's make a lot of money.

It was time for a change.

Sorry the man was so weak that he killed himself. Clemson people.

Do you know Rootes? Or any of his family?

12. BMoney

Are you really going to do this? Rootes did his job effectively for two decades and Easterby drove him out because he was a rival for power. That's it. Was Rootes ever in charge of the team personnel, or coaching staff? No. People who knew the man (I did not know him, or his family) said that he was dedicated to the franchise. The Texans, under Rootes, have been one of the most valuable franchieses in sports. He was treated horribly at the end and Easterby was largely responsible for that.

I'll say this- if you are dunking on a man for killing himself in defense of Jack f-ing Easterby then you need to re-think things. Was it "time for a change" when Easterby pushed out Brian Gaine and Chris Olsen (one of the best cap managers in the NFL)? Was it "time for a change" when Easterby decimated the Texans organisation in the short time he was here? Was it "time for a change" when Easterby pushed to trade Deandre Hopkins for a bag of jockstraps? The proof is this- when Rootes was one of the leaders of the organization, the Texans were respected. The Easterby era made the team a laughingstock that they are only just pulling themselves out of.

13. raining threes

After 2 decades it was time for change and no I'm not dunking on the man for killing himself. I have empathy for people in despair.

Regarding BOB/Gained/Rootes etc... It was past time for a change. The change was rough, but needed and I happen to think that the Texans org is on the right track. Had to take out all of the trash both on and off the field to build a brighter future. IMHO

14. BMoney

Gaines was on the job for just over a year! It ruined his career and the only reason for that change was to increase Easterby and O'Brien's power. Rootes was doing his job- which was the *financial direction of the team* as well as any executive in the league. It is crazy to look at the reign of terror brought in by the massively unqualified Easterby has some sort of change that was needed. Easterby was the trash that needed to be deposited in a landfill.

15. raining threes

There were sexual harassment lawsuits brought during Gaines time on Kirby. In addition to ch
    arges of him being racist. (Which I disagreed with those accusations) But the sexual harassment allegations were real. This ran throughout the org. From the FO to Watson to Hopkins etc...

Was Rootes supposed to be a Texan for life? He got messed up in the Palcic crap.

16. BMoney

Easterby ran people out of the organization irrespective of their performance, or credintials. It is clear that Easterby and O'Brien slandered Gaine on the way out. Easterby's fingerprints were all over the racism allegations, too. Zierlien shared some of the whispering he heard from front office people on other teams about what a scumbag Easterby was. He was the worst thing that ever happened to the team. You can't possibly defend that person.

charlieaustin likes this.
  17. raining threes

I'm not defending him, I don't know this man, I do know that change was badly needed within the org both on and off the field. That change has happened and I think that the Texans org has a chance to be better off because of the change. This depends on whether Cal will truly allow Ryans/Caserio to build the team in their vision. When the time comes, Cal will need to spend the money and also maybe even draft a guy like Hill to make them true contenders. Will Cal do this? I've got my doubts.

Bottom line is change is hard but sometimes necessary.

I was also told by a client of mine that Rootes was a really good guy.

#1397 raining threes, Mar 23, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

he's like the Terminator, he can't be stopped