1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Simms QB rankings history

https://sports.nbcsports.com/2022/0...ngs-why-matt-corral-stands-out-from-the-pack/
    1. Matt Corral, Mississippi
    2. Kenny Pickett, Pittsburgh
    3. Malik Willis, Liberty
    4. Sam Howell, North Carolina
    5. Desmond Ridder, Cincinnati

https://sports.nbcsports.com/2021/0...ngs-why-trevor-lawrence-is-not-the-no-1-pick/
    1. Zach Wilson (BYU)
    2. Trevor Lawrence (Clemson)
    3. Mac Jones (Alabama)
    4. Kellen Mond (Texas A&M)
    5. Justin Fields (Ohio State)
    6. Trey Lance (North Dakota St)

https://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/...k-rankings-on-chris-simms-unbuttoned-podcast/
    1. Joe Burrow, LSU
    2. Justin Herbert, Oregon
    3. Jordan Love, Utah State
    4. Tua Tagovailoa, Alabama
    5. Jacob Eason, Washington

YouTube
    1. Kyler Murray
    2. Drew Lock
    3. Dwayne Haskins
    4. Ryan Finley
    5. Jarrett Stidham
    6. Daniel Jones
    7. Clayton Thorson
    8. Will Grier

YouTube
    1. Lamar Jackson
    2. Josh Allen
    3. Baker Mayfield
    4. Sam Darnold
    5. Josh Rosen

(Also—https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/02/josh-rosen-jim-mora-odell-beckham-trade-draft-mmqb-peter-king)
    1. Josh Allen, Wyoming
    2. Josh Rosen, UCLA
    3. Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma
    4. Lamar Jackson, Louisville
    5. Sam Darnold, USC

2. Nook

Nook Member

FWIW I agree with you.

The NFL is the wealthiest and most healthy sports league in the world, yet it still lags behind the other major sports when it comes to player development, smart testing, etc.

At the end of the day, the NFL is very conservative from owner down, and adverse to change.

Hell we still have limited trades (after almost none), we had teams disqualifying black QB's until about 15 years ago.... we still have coaches that just want to line up players and have them fight it out. Player development in the NFL outside of QB is a joke, and even QB development is still very hit or miss.

It still really bothers me to this day that Warren Moon wasn't even drafted...... he was 6'3" and 225 lbs.... he benched over 400 lbs and was a solid athlete.... was smart and had a cannon for an arm.

3. jch1911

jch1911 Member

And the teams that said they would draft Moon wanted to convert to something more traditional for a player of his size & ability... and race.. like safety or linebacker

Nook likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Yup.

He got offers from UCLA (his dream school) and Arizona in high school when he was the best QB in Los Angeles.... but they were going to change him to safety, even though his speed was below average for a safety.

So he went to a Junior College because it was the only school that would let him be a QB.

He dominated in JUCO and then he tried to transfer to a D1 school and only two schools in all of D1 were interested.

He went to Washington because they agreed to not make him play something other than QB.

He won PAC-8 player of the year as a QB, all in an offense that didn't really fit Moon's strengths.

He was going to enter the draft, and all the teams told him they wanted him AGAIN to move to safety or corner and he said no.

He actually had to go to Canada just to get a shot as a QB, even though his physical skills and success were unquestionably elite.

He goes to Canada, wins 5 CFL titles in 6 years..... he joins the Oilers because they were the only NFL team to give him guaranteed money.

After one year the Oilers GM wanted to trade him because they said he didn't read the defense well enough and was too opinionated.

The only reason he stuck around long term with the Oilers is because June Jones believed in him and he was successful.

I have heard people list Warren Moon with guys like Rich Gannon, Jeff Garcia, Trent Green and other QB's that had really good careers despite having never been big prospects....... and it pisses me off. Warren Moon isn't like these players, he had EVERYTHING needed to be drafted at the very top of the draft... he would have been a top 3 pick if he has been white.

5. raining threes

I'm not in awe at all.

Apparently reading comprehension isn't your friend. I said he and Dr. Cain are colleagues. You can choose to believe this or not.

BTW, he didn't say that Young wouldn't be able to play. What he said is that he currently has a minor shoulder injury and that this type of shoulder injury is more than likely going to be a reoccurring issue throughout his career. I'm not going to be able to convince you otherwise so I'm out when it comes to talking Young with you. We're never going to agree and we're just wasting each others time.

6. raining threes

He's also right abot 95% of time.

7. raining threes

I wish they would've listened to that GM, then Buffalo/Kansas City probably would have never happened and the Oilers would probably still be in Houston.

Moon was the biggest choker in Houston sports history and a special kind of POS wife beater along with being a choker.

Later in life his true character has shown through like a bright light in the night.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Moon treats women really poorly and is abusive, but he was a hell of a player and had he gone to the Seahawks like he almost did, he would have probably been better.

Jim Everett would have been the Oilers QB.

Loved the Oilers greatly but they are gone because of their owner at the time. Bob Lanier was so popular he could have done anything he wanted and he was done with Adams.

JoeBarelyCares and ROCKSS like this.
  9. raining threes

I truly believe if Buffalo/Kansas City hadn't happened the Oilers would still be in Houston.

JoeBarelyCares and Fulgore like this.
  10. Hawkeye84

Hawkeye84 Member

NM

#4930 Hawkeye84, Mar 21, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
  11. Hawkeye84

Hawkeye84 Member

You would think a well connected renown surgery would know that a minor AC sprain that doesn’t require surgery usually heals in four to 6 weeks and typically back to normal in a max of 3 months. Young’s minor AC sprain happened 6 months ago.

12. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd love to get Michael Meyer. Houston has NEVER had a stud at TE. Could he be another Kelce or Gronk?

primtim24, Sooty and Rudyc281 like this.
  13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

We signed Schultz yesterday ICYMI

Not to say we shouldn’t draft a TE but it isn’t a need with one of our top picks now especially with this being a deep class.

primtim24 and jch1911 like this.
  14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I'd be tempted to take Darnell Washington with the 2nd rounder if available. Shultz is only on a 1 year deal anyway. Washington is a GREAT blocker and offers more similarities in creating mismatches within the passing game like Gronk.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

This please!

17. raining threes

I would think you don't understand injury and the chance of re-injury or the odds of hurting it worse next time and there will be a next time.

18. Hawkeye84

Hawkeye84 Member

The question is not about a possible next time but today for which you keep saying he has an injury. If we are going to talk about likely future injuries being worse, let’s talk hamstring which one of your favorite QBs for next year suffered.

Hamstring tears and related injuries are the most common injuries among athletes, and ironically, the most significant risk factor for injury is a prior hamstring injury. That means if your hamstring has been torn or strained in the past, you’re more likely to suffer a similar or more serious hamstring problem down the road.

19. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I get what you are saying, but if Schultz was the kind of TE that I'm talking about I doubt the Cowboys would let him go.

20. jch1911

jch1911 Member

What did it say?